Author Topic: Pizza stone question  (Read 1268 times)

Offline junep

Pizza stone question
« Reply #-1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »
My new 15" round pizza stone arrived today. I washed it as instructed in plain water and am letting it dry overnight and tomorrow I have to put it in a hot oven for a couple of hours.
It fits perfectly inside the grill on my Charbroil Big Easy SRG, but it also fits perfectly on top of the unit with the grill removed. So my question is, any idea which I should use when I try cooking a pizza on this - sitting inside the grill, or remove the grill and just sit in on top of the unit. The lid closes fine with the stone in either position. My first thought it maybe the stone would heat move evenly without the grill, so I'd love to hear what you all think.

Thanks!
June

Conformity is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Pizza stone question
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
I would use the grate to set it on reason being the heat from the chamber can very side to side but with the grate on top it "Catches" the infrared and will heat more evenly.   

You can try with and without the grate but I believe the grate will help you a lot more 

If you have an infrared gun thermometer you will find the right side front (just right of controls) is the hottest spot of the chamber but adding the grate will spread out the heat 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »
I've used mine on the grate works fine need to let it heat up for a bit times will vary depending on the thickness of your pizza stone.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline junep

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »

Grate it is! I do have one of those laser gun thermometers and love it. Thanks for replying. It's good to know about the grate helping to disperse the heat more evenly. I hadn't even thought of that!

June

I would use the grate to set it on reason being the heat from the chamber can very side to side but with the grate on top it "Catches" the infrared and will heat more evenly.   

You can try with and without the grate but I believe the grate will help you a lot more 

If you have an infrared gun thermometer you will find the right side front (just right of controls) is the hottest spot of the chamber but adding the grate will spread out the heat

Offline junep

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
Thanks Tom. This pizza stone is 3/4" thick, so I'll do a long preheat. My silicon carbide one that i use in my regular oven is !" thick and I preheat that oven for an hour!

Thanks again for you input!
June

I've used mine on the grate works fine need to let it heat up for a bit times will vary depending on the thickness of your pizza stone.  :)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »

Grate it is! I do have one of those laser gun thermometers and love it. Thanks for replying. It's good to know about the grate helping to disperse the heat more evenly. I hadn't even thought of that!

June

The grate design is somewhat of a GrillGrate knock off.           Long story but was talking with a friend who knew about the design and told me the story of how they came up with the channels to catch the infrared energy.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION