Author Topic: Lesson Learned  (Read 2972 times)

Offline i like rocks

Lesson Learned
« Reply #-1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:10:57 PM »
In an effort to save anyone some frustration and embarrassment, I'd like to share something stupid I did today with my SRG.

I made a bad habit of storing things in my SRG and kept the grill surface on top. This worked great when I was smoking because I'd pull everything out. But it was NOT good for grilling and FORGETTING TO TAKE THE STUFF OUT!

The only concerning thing was my grill brush. It's one of the all plastic ones you use for porcelain grates. It literally just melted through my basket and into my drip pan. Worst of all, I went to get a replacement brush and while inspecting the packaging, it had warning label for lead! I'm not typically one to bash products, and am sure it's frowned upon on the forum, but it was a brush from CharBroil. I can't understand why they'd put lead in something that's clearly associated with food handling, but I thought I at least bring it to everyone attention while I'm sitting here worried about lead and plastic fume exposure on the food I ate.

I hope this saves anyone from making the same mistake!!

** In CharBroils defense, the food was still great and I couldn't even tell it was cooked with a chunk of lead contaminated plastic.. :(

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Lesson Learned
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »
Think of the western stars that would say " I will fill you with lead" Now you can say been there done that.

My wife likes to leave things in the oven from time to time that I discover on oven warm up ??? ??? ???

If you are over 40 in the USA I think we all have had lots of lead from the early days & even today in many products including water. It is everywhere but that being said try not to let it happen again & put it behind you.

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline allornothing

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 04:53:47 PM »
Embarrassed to say I've already learned this lesson.  What I do now is make sure the stuff inside pushes the grate of the base an inch or two so I know something is in there.  Lost a brush, temperature probe and burned the hell out of my grates. 

I guess I should've posted to save someone else from the same mistake.  I thought I'd be the only one to do this. LOL.

Lesson's learned the hard way are learned the best!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
Just did it last week! Turned the oven on and wasn't aware that me better half had put some small blue plastic tubs in the oven. 5 minutes later I smelled something and opened up the oven to find blue plastic dripping from the top rack all over the bottom rack and the bottom of the oven took me 2 days to clean it up ! Lesson learned, always look first :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
Just did it last week! Turned the oven on and wasn't aware that me better half had put some small blue plastic tubs in the oven. 5 minutes later I smelled something and opened up the oven to find blue plastic dripping from the top rack all over the bottom rack and the bottom of the oven took me 2 days to clean it up ! Lesson learned, always look first :)

Tom it is amazing in life that we think we are the only one to do something bad or stupid........then we find out most people have done it.

Tom did you video it ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »

Tom it is amazing in life that we think we are the only one to do something bad or stupid........then we find out most people have done it.

Sorry no video, scared the crap out of me! Thought I was About to burn the place down!  :o
Tom did you video it ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 08:37:04 PM »
I once left the insides Plastic paper that came with a turkey inside during the cook.....stuffing anyone ??? ??? ??? ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline i like rocks

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:29:44 PM »
I keep telling myself that one day I'll be old enough to stop doing stupid stuff. Not sure I'm gunna live that long!

I confronted CB about lead in their brush and they now claim it's lead free, despite the packaging.

I was going to buy a new grate and cooking chamber that has plastic welded to (Absolutely will not chip off) and CB offered to replace them, no questions asked.

Great service!

Can't wait to get this thing back in service. Dinner is just so blah anymore without that extra flavor!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 03:37:04 AM »
I have pulled hot pans out of my oven, due to lack of space, good thing I have some good ones..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
I have pulled hot pans out of my oven, due to lack of space, good thing I have some good ones..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

X2
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:39:11 PM »

x2 - has happened multiple times, usually when we have unexpected guests and she throws them in there - lost quite a few things in the process over the last 20 years..... I am just slow that way I guess.....

Offline Pappymn

Lesson Learned
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
I melted large plastic bowls in my oven at a house I had that had a really small kitchen.... Did not smell good
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109