Author Topic: New Guy..Help Needed..Intro  (Read 1722 times)

Offline frogpond

New Guy..Help Needed..Intro
« Reply #-1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:12:12 AM »
Hey y'all, new guy here!  I posted my intro in the intros section..link below..

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=18991.0

Like I said in my intro, I am COMPLETELY new to cooking and just got my Big Easy this past weekend.  I'm looking forward to learning how to cook all sorts of delicious things in it.  But I am starting from square one.  So I'll probably have a lot of questions, probably so many that you guys are gonna get sick of me.   ;D  But I hope to learn and contribute to the conversation eventually as well. 

So I guess to get things started, I plan on seasoning my Big Easy soon and then start experimenting!  One of the reasons I bought it was because I thought it would be great for bacon wrapped appetizers since the infrared heat wouldn't burn the bacon as badly as other methods.  So I think I want to start relatively simple and just try some bacon wrapped chicken or bacon wrapped steak.  I ordered the Bunk Bed Basket accessory to go with it just for the purpose of cooking up something like this.  It will arrive in a few days at the house.  So I have a little time to get prepped for this.  My questions would be... How do cook times work for the smaller portion appetizers like this?  Do I just check the temp of the individual pieces and make sure they're up to the recommended temp for chicken/beef, etc?  Also, will I have any issues with the bacon sticking to the basket?  Just wondering if I need to lay down some foil or not. 

While I'm at it, a few general Big Easy questions... I've read some things about a Tommy Ring, but I'm not quite sure what that is?  I know it has to do with raising the meat up so it avoids the "dead zone" in the bottom of the cooker.  But where does one acquire such a thing?  Links would be useful but anything helps!  Also, any general tips for beginners would be great!  Anything I should avoid or things I should definitely do, etc.  From what I've heard from people I know locally that own these units, they all say they're well....easy.  And I'm all about that! 

So, just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions.. thanks in advance for the responses!  I look forward to learning!

Justin

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: New Guy..Help Needed..Intro
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
Hey Frog..a tommy ring is a springform pan with the bottom taken out..just sit it in the bottom and put basket back in..it raise the bottom of the basket a lil bit..because the bottom is not as hot as the rest of it..Nice thing is that you don't have to turn stuff over to cook..and you can turn lid upside down and use it for cooking too..I make poppers and potato skins that way. Tommy is our resident big easy guru and will be back soon..he just had hand surgery so just hang in there..and ask away..lots of big easy info here..type big easy in the search button and just go for it.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:32:03 PM »
The newer big easy's don't need a Tommy ring due to the basket has taller legs than the old one but the ring is great to use for adding pellets or wood for smoking.

Bacon wrapped appetizers you can cook by color of the bacon if the interior meats or fillings are fully cooked. I like to use thin bacon myself. Should not have an issue with sticking to the basket.

If they have fillings that need to be cooked check their internal temp as the bacon gets to the color that you like.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline frogpond

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
The newer big easy's don't need a Tommy ring due to the basket has taller legs than the old one but the ring is great to use for adding pellets or wood for smoking.

Bacon wrapped appetizers you can cook by color of the bacon if the interior meats or fillings are fully cooked. I like to use thin bacon myself. Should not have an issue with sticking to the basket.

If they have fillings that need to be cooked check their internal temp as the bacon gets to the color that you like.

Good to know it doesn't need a different basket or modification on the newer models.  I hadn't thought to cook the chicken/steak before wrapping them in bacon and cooking them.  Is it better to do it that way rather than cooking it all at one time? 

Offline frogpond

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »
Also, I was just reading about seasoning the basket...the instructions say to just season the inside, but should I oil up the outside of it as well? 

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 07:37:26 PM »
Frog, be sure to use oil rather than nonstick spray.  Spray is OK as long as its oil. Do a couple layers so you get a nice bronze color.
There is one other thing a few of us have learned the hard way... That metal tab on the top gets HOT!!!
It will brand your thumb .... ???
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »
Frog, be sure to use oil rather than nonstick spray.  Spray is OK as long as its oil. Do a couple layers so you get a nice bronze color.
There is one other thing a few of us have learned the hard way... That metal tab on the top gets HOT!!!
It will brand your thumb .... ???
don't ask me how I know this too,  just sayin    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
I think that everyone has owned a Big Easy has the same scar marks! :D

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 08:56:59 AM »
Welcome Justin.   You have been given good advice so far, now just keep reading threads here

www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?board=113.0   and if you dont find what you need just ask there are a lot of good folks here to help

Tommy
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION