Author Topic: srg mods  (Read 3762 times)

Offline irishboy209

srg mods
« Reply #-1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »
After receiving my SRG I could clearly see the smoker box did not have enough ventilation I drilled some holes threw the cooking cylinder and the smoker box to make sure everything lined up. Threw some pellets in there and she smoked like a champ, in my opinion the original two holes where way too high so I drilled a few more all the way down to the bottom of the smoker box and the cylinder much more smoke coming out from down low now.

I would post pictures but my files are to pay for this form and don't really feel like messing with it.

By the way I just cooked a couple of steaks on the grill and its pretty amazing very very juicy

Offline tomcrete1

Re: srg mods
« on: November 11, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »
Very Nice! The SRG is very versatile you'll be surprised as to what can be cooked on it! :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:20:56 AM »
The best thing I ever made on the SRG is ribs..I seasoned and hung them from the 2nd bone on a rotisserie rod until done. The bark was fabulous and it's like a mini  PBC.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
About to cook my first ribs in this,  what was your method did you have the propane turn all the way to low with a hood open a tiny bit or more hot and fast any information would be great to help me turnout a better product

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 11:14:23 PM »
About to cook my first ribs in this,  what was your method did you have the propane turn all the way to low with a hood open a tiny bit or more hot and fast any information would be great to help me turnout a better product
I did drill my BEESR's smoker boxes out a few years back (think when I had knee surgery)  Anyway, it really worked well and love using that cooker whenever I can.   

As for ribs, I cook 30 min's naked to get a good bark started then I pull them out rub and wrap them for another 40 to 45 mins then remove from foil and set back in the cooker for a few mins to set any sauce I might have on them   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »
Thank you I will try that on the ribs.

it actually really help drilling through the cooking chamber and the holes in the smoker box also. A big time Improvement with a ton of smoke pouring out.

The only thing I did wrong was a little too big of a drill size so some pellets could possibly fall out if I was fiddling around a lot with the smoker box, not really a big deal but something to definitely watch out for. probably have about 6 good size holes through the cooking chamber

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 08:53:56 AM »
I did drill my BEESR's smoker boxes out a few years back (think when I had knee surgery)  Anyway, it really worked well and love using that cooker whenever I can.   

As for ribs, I cook 30 min's naked to get a good bark started then I pull them out rub and wrap them for another 40 to 45 mins then remove from foil and set back in the cooker for a few mins to set any sauce I might have on them

Call me when they are done Tommy ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »
I wish I could post pictures easily on this form to show you guys show you. I had a stainless steel strainer for pasta or washing veggies I pushed up a little mountain peak in the middle and put pellets all the way around the outer circle then I'll lit one end by using the S RG smoker box with a few pellets on high until they caught fire and dumped it in the strainer, I didn't put the strainer in the bottom right above the grease hole and pulled out the drip trade for better air flow and propped the hood about 3 inches she is smoking like a beast and the smoke is coming from the very bottom filling the whole chamber very evenly, very easy cheap mod works a lot like those pellet burners that cost a lot more, the drain hole seems to produce enough air flow on its own with the drip tray removed or pulled out a little, you can also pull out your wood chips tray to create more air flow inside the chamber it created a bit too much for me and starter burning real hot on the smoke but I do have about 6 extra holes through my tube so that's why but so far just the bottom drip tray is working great I'll let you know how many hours I get on this burn

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
Would like to see the mod.  Can you email me the picture? I can post it for you if you would like
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
 I can text you them?

Very important note to self do not put a drip pan to catch all the grease to make clean up easier within 1 hour my pork butt was fried I couldn't understand until I really seen what happened the grease cotton fire and roasted my pork and destroyed my thermometer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »
Here his the smoker box/bowl

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 06:07:57 PM »
Interesting ! That's a small strainer maybe he could tell us where he got it or who manufactures it. I invisioned something bigger but that's perfect! :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »
 to be honest I gotta so many years ago never used it because it was so small, I recently seen them on Amazon though. I would like to have a little bigger one I'm getting about 1.5 to 2 hours burn with pellets iactually just pulled out my grease pan hey little bit and stuck a fan in there now things are really cooking with smoke

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »
she looking good it about 160 so have some time to go

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »
i also added a fan to better air flow works great.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]