Author Topic: Chicken Legs, questions  (Read 1816 times)

Offline frogpond

Chicken Legs, questions
« Reply #-1 on: November 11, 2016, 05:06:58 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but I have a big 4 lb bag of chicken drumsticks that I'd like to try in the TBE. How long would they typically take to thaw in the fridge you think? Also, after I rub them down with seasoning, I've heard some say they refrigerate them again. How long for that? Thanks!

I know this is elementary kinda stuff, just trying to make sure I get things right

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Chicken Legs, questions
« on: November 11, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »
Well,,can't tell you about how long to defrost but I would say overnight. I did legs on the SRG tonight fresh from the grocery store and they were frozen I coated with olive oil and seasoned with some natures seasoning and hung them on the leg rack with a tray of Tator tots on the bottom took about an hour on high, Sorry no pics, but I do believe I have video showing this in the video section. Good luck!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but I have a big 4 lb bag of chicken drumsticks that I'd like to try in the TBE. How long would they typically take to thaw in the fridge you think? Also, after I rub them down with seasoning, I've heard some say they refrigerate them again. How long for that? Thanks!

I know this is elementary kinda stuff, just trying to make sure I get things right
First off there  are no dumb questions  ;)

As for thawing, most times overnight should do it but if dealing with a large bag it might take two days. I have been known to make a brine and add the frozen chicken to the brine set in freezer and thaw it that way

Just remember when prepping the legs (or any chicken) wash well, dry the skin and use oil on skin before cooking this will help insure crispy skin.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »
I have requested help on what may sound simple to most but provide invaluable answers to others.  8) This is what makes this site "Great" ;D

As for thawing, most times overnight should do it but if dealing with a large bag it might take two days. I have been known to make a brine and add the frozen chicken to the brine set in freezer and thaw it that way

Just remember when prepping the legs (or any chicken) wash well, dry the skin and use oil on skin before cooking this will help insure crispy skin.   

Q: You add the frozen chicken to the brine and place "Back" into the freezer? I agree the brine would not freeze but would that not take a very long time to thaw the chicken? I just deep fried up bunch of winter wings and I could have tired this.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »
I have requested help on what may sound simple to most but provide invaluable answers to others.  8) This is what makes this site "Great" ;D

Q: You add the frozen chicken to the brine and place "Back" into the freezer? I agree the brine would not freeze but would that not take a very long time to thaw the chicken? I just deep fried up bunch of winter wings and I could have tired this.
no sorry I place in the fridge and let it sit overnight
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 11:00:28 AM »
If it's not thawed all the way I put in a 5 gallon bucket in the brine and add a lotta ice to keep it cold. I take the temp every few hours so I know how cold it is. I do this with turkey too. Thank god for cold garages in the winter.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.   
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline frogpond

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »
They're thawed, dried, oiled, seasoned and now going into the fridge for a few hours to rest! Plan on setting them down in the TBE in about 2.5 hours!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline frogpond

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »
Looks good from here  :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline frogpond

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
Also ended up with this   :(

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 09:35:29 AM »
Yikes..and ouchie..been there and done that..don't pick up the lid with bare hands..had marks for months..poor baby..you won't do that again..promise..but your gonna be sore for a while..heal soon...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:42:42 AM »
The chicken looks great! Sorry about your fingers! Ouch! Good reminder for all of us and for me especially since I have a new TBE waiting for me in Florida
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 10:02:16 AM »
True sign of a Big Easy user burned fingers  :D ??? ???

Been there many a time, I'm a slow learner  ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:45:08 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline frogpond

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 09:31:01 AM »
Yea that definitely wasn't fun!  Those fingers are still a little numb.  The wife and I were happy with how the chicken turned out though!  Crispy on the outside, but tender and juicy in the middle..and came right off the bone easily.  They actually cooked for a good 10 minutes longer than I wanted.  I burned my fingers at about the 45 minute mark and they were close to being done then.  But I had to run my fingers under cool water for 15-20 minutes immediately after that, so they didn't come off until about the hour mark.  But even with them being a little overcooked, they were still very good!

All I used for seasoning after I coated them with oil was Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and S&P.  I'll experiment with some others soon, but I had this on hand already and here in Louisiana, we put that stuff on nearly everything.  So I knew we would like it. 

https://www.tonychachere.com/Original-Creole-Seasoning-Multi-Pack-P1268.aspx

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
They look great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven