Author Topic: Alcohol question  (Read 14083 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Alcohol question
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2019, 03:29:05 PM »
I am 41 and never really liked to drink. I hated the taste. Unfortunately/ fortunately I finally found something I like and I wanted to make it at home. It’s called a lemon drop martini. It’s basically vodka with simple syrup and lemon juice. When I go into a nice restaurant or fancy bar for example and order one do they use real fresh squeezed lemon juice or is it from a bottle ? I want to make it taste like it did from the restaurant the other night it was amazing
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Alcohol question
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
most likely it is lemon juice rather than fresh squeezed.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Freshly squeezed makes all the difference; the "RealLemon" in the bottles is no where as bright and clean as fresh.  Also, you can do a lemon twist for doing a sugar rim on the glass with the same lemon.  One thing I learned in my bartender days is to make a citrus sugar; this is pretty much the method I was taught:  https://addapinch.com/lemon-sugar-recipe/ for rimming the glass.

You might also enjoy making your own limoncello ... you can buy it in the stores but is incredible when making homemade with Meyer lemons.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »
Freshly squeezed makes all the difference; the "RealLemon" in the bottles is no where as bright and clean as fresh.  Also, you can do a lemon twist for doing a sugar rim on the glass with the same lemon.  One thing I learned in my bartender days is to make a citrus sugar; this is pretty much the method I was taught:  https://addapinch.com/lemon-sugar-recipe/ for rimming the glass.

You might also enjoy making your own limoncello ... you can buy it in the stores but is incredible when making homemade with Meyer lemons.
That lemon sugar loooks good. Thanks for posting.  When you were a bartender i want to know if you used fresh squeezed or bottled lemon ? Because I realize that fresh is better but when I’m out enjoying a cocktail if their using bottled I don’t seem to mind
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 07:43:18 PM »
... fresh squeezed or bottled lemon?

Pretty much depends on the bar. If they're upscale and/or serve bespoke cocktails they're more likely to use fresh fruit & juices. On the other hand, if they're a bit closer to "dive bars" and make their money on beer and a shot (and serve 1-3 mixed drinks a month), they're likely to use bottled juices (if they have any at all).

You have to ask (or watch the bartender) to find out.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »
... fresh squeezed or bottled lemon?

Pretty much depends on the bar. If they're upscale and/or serve bespoke cocktails they're more likely to use fresh fruit & juices. On the other hand, if they're a bit closer to "dive bars" and make their money on beer and a shot (and serve 1-3 mixed drinks a month), they're likely to use bottled juices (if they have any at all).

You have to ask (or watch the bartender) to find out.

[/quote

Thanks. Makes sense !!!
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Roget

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
I used to own & manage a bar (Well, it was actually a gentleman's club on one side & a dance club on the other) and we always used fresh citrus.
A bit more expensive & a lot more trouble, but worth the extra effort. 
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »
. . . . . and no one noticed that you, obviously, picked the right drink based on your name . . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
I use to be a bartender for 15 years.  It's lemon juice from a bottle.  Have one made without the simple syrup.  I think you will like it more.  Lemon drops are great in the summer.  Very refreshing.  D@'m, I got to get some vodka now.  Costco sells their own vodka which is made in the same place has grey goose vodka (my favorite).
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 06:46:05 PM »
. . . . . and no one noticed that you, obviously, picked the right drink based on your name . . . . .

Lmao !!! I have a younger brother and his nickname is little lemon
BD
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 05:21:28 PM »
If it was a fancy restaurant or a bar that serves craft cocktails it was likely juice squeezed from actual lemons. (as mentioned above)

I enjoy making my own craft cocktails and whenever citrus juice is called I always go with fresh fruit, I recommend you do the same,  Im quite sure you wont be disappointed.

I looked online and found lots of different recipes, heres one from  Liquor.com  they usually have good ones;

2oz vodka
1/2oz triple Sec
1oz simple syrup
1oz fresh lemon juice
pour all into a shaker with ice and shake to chill,  strain into a sugar-rimmed cocktail or couple glass that has been chilled.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/lemon-drop/#gs.39rh6w

Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano