Author Topic: How to cook in a container using IR.  (Read 1454 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
How to cook in a container using IR.
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »
Y'all who have IR cookers most likely know this but I'll chunk it out there anyway.

Sometimes we want to cook something in a container using the SRG, TBE, or other IR cooker.  IR rays don't pass through metal.  Putting something  in metal just lets you cook with conventional heat even though you are using IR cookers.

So, if you want to cook in a container and still get the benefit of IR cooking  you can put whatever it is you want to cook in a glass contain...dish, bowl, or whatever.  The IR rays pass through the glass and cook as if it were not there.

If you have not cooked in glass using  your SRG this will give you another arrow in your quiver.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: How to cook in a container using IR.
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:13:19 PM »
Thanks for the info Dee.  :)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:03:43 AM »
Dee..I bake bread in my tbe in a cast iron Dutch oven. I got one that fits from Bayou Classic. I learned this from Tommy years ago. Let me look for pics. Also, do not put the new Pyrex from China in there, it will break for ya. Get some old stuff from a yard sale or garage sale, or your grandma. I found a shot of a loaf of rye and a shot of the bottom of the loaf I made in tbe. Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »
One of the best outdoor ovens one can buy  :D  Been doing bread, steaming meat and beans with cast iron for a long time.

The Big Easy, it's not just for oil less frying anymore   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:40:01 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »
Good suggestion, Dee.  Glass won't completely block the IR rays the way metal does.  Users should probably use Pyrex glass to reduce the possibility of breakage.  And Pam recommends old vintage (not made in China) Pyrex.

Glass IR transmissivity varies drastically based on the glass chemical composition and the IR energy wavelength.  For instance, glasses containing Barium oxide (BaO) and Lead oxide (PbO) provide a high transmissivity of infrared energy for wavelengths of 2.5µ to 4.5µ.  Pyrex is Borosilicate glass.  It blocks very little IR energy of wavelengths of 2.25µ to 3.25µ but it spikes near 50% blocking as the wavelength approaches 3.5µ.

It appears, since residential users don't know the IR wavelengths generated by their IR devices, that a little experimentation and clock watching is necessary.

Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas