Author Topic: Smoke Daddy installation on TBE  (Read 4537 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Smoke Daddy installation on TBE
« Reply #-1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:40:19 PM »
So I just bought a Smoke Daddy that I installed on my Traeger. The standard installation is that you drill a hole and put the existing pipe on the smoke daddy through and lock it into place with a pipe nut. This is fine if you just use it on one cooker but what about removing it and installing it on another. Well you gotta pull out the cooker grates and parts to get a wrench on the nut to take it out. So what I did is simply install a pipe union thread end on the Smoke Daddy and then installed the other end of the union(I had 3 of them) on my natural gas vertical smoker, my Traeger, and my TBE so that I can transfer from one cooker to the next by simply undoing a union. This also makes removal for cleanup much simpler. And when the Smoke Daddy is not hooked up to a cooker I can simply install one of the two threaded union ends with a plug in it to seal that up.

So here are instructions on how I hooked up my Smoke Daddy to my TBE. I did a test run with some mesquite chips and it worked really well. There was a lot of nice smoke coming from the chamber ;D

You start with the bottom of the TBE chamber where the grease drain hole is. You are going to need to open that hole up with a 1 1/2 inch metal hole saw. It helps to hold a piece of wood inside the chamber so the drill has something to go into and you can keep the hole centered.

Before drilling..

After drilling..

Now the bottom of the TBE looks like this with the drip tray removed..

Now take a 1/2 inch nipple 10 inches long and attach a 90 degree 1/2 inch elbow to one end. Attach a 1/2 inch nipple 2 inches long to the elbow. Then attach the threaded end of a 1/2 inch union to the other end of the nipple. After this is assembled the 2 inch nipple from the elbow will need to go through the bottom drain hole and up into the chamber. You will need to notch out the outer bottom rim of the cooker where the 10 inch nipple comes out for proper fit. Then use 3/4 inch pipe clamps and self tapping sheet metal screws to secure the pipe into position...

Now when you turn the TBE back on top again this is what you should see when you look down into the chamber. The pipe centered and coming up through the chamber drain and good spacing around the pipe for proper grease drainage...

Ok now the exit pipe for the smoke needs a umbrella to protect from grease entering the pipe. So what I did is get a 1 1/2 inch flat washer and a 3/4 body plug used for plugging holes in sheet metal...

I then attached them together with a screw...

And then attached that umbrella to the top of the 2 inch nipple that comes out of the drain hole and drilled four extra holes in the pipe at the umbrella to allow more smoke flow...

Inside view of chamber with umbrella installed...

Next I had purchased a galvanized water heater stand. This is a perfect size for the TBE and can support a water heater so it is strong and very in-expensive..

The stand was simple to put together. Just legs to install. And it came with two brackets to anchor on the wall with so I used the brackets as feet supports for the TBE to keep it from sliding around. Just drilled two holes in the bottom of the stand and used two bolts to secure them...

TBE feet in place..

Now to hook up the Smoke Daddy...

Here comes the smoke...

SRG grill in place...

Union connection on Traeger for the Smoke Daddy...

Union connection on my vertical natural gas smoker for the Smoke Daddy...

Just use a 3/4 inch hole saw and the 1/2 inch pipe will thread right into the metal of your cooker. Then attach a union for easy hook up and removal ;D

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Smoke Daddy installation on TBE
« on: December 03, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
Muebe that's how mounted a Smoke Pistol to my TBE.  I was able to pipe mine without making any changes to TBE.   This way when it was not hooked up you couldn't tell there ever was one there.

I'll try to find picture   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Smoke Daddy installation on TBE
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION