Author Topic: Just picked up an SRG this weekend.  (Read 1951 times)

Offline cyberb0b

Just picked up an SRG this weekend.
« Reply #-1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Got it for $100 on craigslist. It had never been used, but was in the elements for a while, as there was some rust on the lid and some other places. I sanded it out and repainted with some high temp Rustoleum. I could tell it had never been used, as the cooking chamber, grate, and accessories were all still shiny stainless steel.

Thanks to the advice of the forum, I burned it out for 15 minutes, let it cool, and then seasoned it properly. My first cook was a whole chicken. It turned out great, but the bottom didn't get cripsy. I think it was because of the dead zone. Also, there wasn't enough smoke from the smokebox.

Because of these problems, I put a Tommy Ring in today and it worked great. I put some hickory chips around the ring and grilled some pork chops. The smoke was really good. Kroger had Boston Butts on sale for .99/lb. Can't be beat. That is my next challenge this weekend.

Quick question: Has anyone tried to put an electric burner in the bottom to do low and slow smoking in the SRG? Alton Brown does it with a  clay pot, but I figure you could do it in this thing. Just run the wire through the hole in the bottom.

Kind of like this:

Offline Saber 4

Re: Just picked up an SRG this weekend.
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »
That was a good deal you got yourself. I'll defer to TMB and other SRG experts to chime in on your burner question.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
Great deal on the SRG. I don't own one yet so I'll let the experts answer. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:05:07 AM »
Great deal on your new "toy"!
Welcome to the best BBQ forum anywhere! You will love it here!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:28:37 AM »
You'll love your SRG!

I have owned a couple Big Easy's for years and they never disappoint me ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum  ;)

Great deal on the SRG for sure.     Now I have 117 butts cooked in infrared so I do know a little about the SRG's  :D

By using a heating element in the chamber you are making a low and slow cooker but you have taken the best part out of the equation INFRARED.   Infrared will not dry meat out where the convection heat from the burner could.   If you would cook a butt in the SRG my way I think you would find there is no reason to add a heating element + you can cook a butt in about 4 to 4.5 hrs

My way to do a butt.  Start the SRG on high with the Tommy Ring loaded with wood pellets or chips let it roll til the wood starts to smoke good, this takes about 15 min's.   Then once the wood is started place the butt in the chamber keep the SRG setting on high for another 15 mins then turn to low and wait til you hit an IT of 205 (yes that's right 205) most folks pull at 195 to 200 but I have found over the years that 205 seems to be the best IT to pull the meat then FTC (foil, towel then into a cooler to rest) I let mine rest 2 hrs then I pull them apart for freezing or to serve . 

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not knocking the idea just want you to understand how good infrared cooking can be

Tommy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:35:36 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline cyberb0b

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I like a lot of smoke on my pulled pork.  Does your method give a decent amount of flavor? I usually use hickory or pecan.  Should I use pellets instead of chips? Also, I need to adjust my rub and cut out most of the sugar, right?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:41:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I like a lot of smoke on my pulled pork.  Does your method give a decent amount of flavor? I usually use hickory or pecan.  Should I use pellets instead of chips? Also, I need to adjust my rub and cut out most of the sugar, right?
Cut out the sugar cause infrared kills sugar and turns your meat into a hunk of charcoal, although Kimmie (my beautiful wife) would love it the rest of use would not  ;)

Now on to the smoke flavor.  The SRG will not give a heavy smoke flavor even with a Tommy Ring loaded up with chips or pellets, but it does a good job of adding smoke to the meat.  (If your looking for a heavy smoke use a wood smoker) 

At one time Todd (A-MAZE-N Smokers) and were working on a new Tommy Ring but seems that fell through  :'( :'( :'(

As for chips or pellets, up to you. I own a pellet grill so I have a lot of pellets at hand so I use those.  Either one will work and hickory gives a  stronger smoke flavor than pecan or apple 

PM me for more info
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline cyberb0b

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »
One last question on your method: Lid up or Down?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:25:33 PM »
One last question on your method: Lid up or Down?
Lid down while cooking butts
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline cyberb0b

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
Thanks, turned out great. Big hit with the wife. I'm going to try a small brisket when they go on sale.

Things thing cranks out some nice burgers when using the grate. My previous gas grill was a nightmare to cook on. I love this thing.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
Thanks, turned out great. Big hit with the wife. I'm going to try a small brisket when they go on sale.

Things thing cranks out some nice burgers when using the grate. My previous gas grill was a nightmare to cook on. I love this thing.
Your just getting started!   ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker