Author Topic: Whole Beef Tenderloin  (Read 1669 times)

Offline MSP

Whole Beef Tenderloin
« Reply #-1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »
Hey guys...I am going to be cooking a whole beef tenderloin soon in my SRG for the first time.

I am going to cook it by temperature to probably 130 degrees and pull it.

That being said I will be cooking for a group of people and Need to have it done on time with the rest of the food.

Does anyone have any idea of the average cooking time I should set aside for a whole tenderloin in SRG.

I am thinking I am going to cut the tenderloin in half so there will be 2 tenderloins that way they will fit in the basket of the SRG.

I will start off searing each side for about 2 minutes per side then finish off in the basket of SRG with lid down...that being said I have never cooked a tenderloin in SRG and have no idea if it will take 1 hour to get to temp or more/ less time?

Any feedback from expierences would be great!

Thanks

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Whole Beef Tenderloin
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
I don't believe I tried a whole tenderloin before but I have cooked a bunch of roast and pork tenderloins.

What I would do is go with a good rub or just S/P and rub it down with a good oil like peanut oil.   Cook on high til the outside starts to look nice and brown sorta like bark on a butt then keep an eye on the IT

I'd cook lid down for the first 25 min's then if the outside looks good leave lid up and finish to the IT you want 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
You say you are cooking a whole tenderloin.  Are you going to use it as one piece or cut it in half?  Remember, the tenderloin is not uniform in size, end-to-end.  I would recommend cutting in half.   You will have two different size pieces.  Monitor the temp carefully, especially on the smaller piece whiled cooking.  Remember to take the meat out somewhat early because the cooking doesn't stop when you pull it off the grill.  Good luck and let us all know how it worked out.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline MSP

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
Yes I will be cutting it in half.

I feel pretty confident on how to cook it...I just don't have any idea how long?

So for example if my guest have there sides ready to eat at say 12 o clock...I want to have the tenderloin done around the same time frame plus or minus 20 minutes or so.

So that being said I don't know if it takes 1 hour to cook a whole tenderloin or 2 hours and etc...

I guess my question is how long does the average total cook time take? I will be pulling it at 130 degrees!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:24:40 PM »
If you pull @ 130F will probably rise to 135 or higher when resting.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp