Author Topic: Brisket in the SRG  (Read 3637 times)

Offline cyberb0b

Brisket in the SRG
« Reply #-1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
I don't want to buy a whole brisket. I have my choice of point or flat.  Any tips?

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Brisket in the SRG
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Given the choice, I will take a point every time.  I prefer the moister, fattier side of the brisket.  Do you not want a whole packer because of price or because you don't want to serve it all?  The reason I ask is because normally a packer is quite a bit cheaper per pound than a point or flat making it much more cost effective to buy the whole packer.  You can either cook it all and then freezer pack the leftovers or you can cut it in half (best to cut in half lengthwise so you get part of both each cook but you can separate the point and flat if you'd like) and freeze the uncooked half.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Brisket in the SRG
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »
What SB said
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline cyberb0b

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Well, I bought a packer brisket. I was really looking for tips specific to cooking brisket in the SRG, but didn't find any. I am going to try it like I did a pork butt.

Tommy Ring - Pecan Pellets
Let it heat up on high until it starts smoking
Drop in the brisket, 15 minutes on high
Drop it to low and let it go to 160* internal temp
Wrap it in foil
Let it go until around 200* internal temp

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Vir

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »
Well, I bought a packer brisket. I was really looking for tips specific to cooking brisket in the SRG, but didn't find any. I am going to try it like I did a pork butt.

Tommy Ring - Pecan Pellets
Let it heat up on high until it starts smoking
Drop in the brisket, 15 minutes on high
Drop it to low and let it go to 160* internal temp
Wrap it in foil
Let it go until around 200* internal temp

I cook my brisket and butt about the same, only difference is I take my brisket up to 205-215 which is just a bit higher than the butts. when I cook both at the same time I even use the same rub on both.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 06:27:38 PM »
The most important piece of advice I can give on cooking brisket regardless of cooker... It is not done at a specific time or temp.  Every piece of meat is different.  When the thickest part of the flat probes like butter, it is done.  It might be at 190.  It might be at 210.  Don't even bother probing the point.  It will feel like butter long before the brisket is actually done.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline cyberb0b

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »
This was my first brisket ever, not just in the SRG.  It was OK.  I've had worse, but had better.  Next time I'm going to just do a traditional style with a UDS.