Author Topic: BRU-V Protection  (Read 1419 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: BRU-V Protection
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
I guess I never tasted "skunky beer" that had been poured into my glass.  I never let it sit around long enough to get "skunky".  I have had "skunky beer" that was bad before it got poured into a glass. 

Sounds like a scam to me.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
How does it protect a beer like Budweiser that is already horrible? :P

Also my glass of beer would never have time to get skunky cause I drink it pretty fast ::)

And they almost have $30,000 :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
I guess I never tasted "skunky beer" that had been poured into my glass.  I never let it sit around long enough to get "skunky".  I have had "skunky beer" that was bad before it got poured into a glass. 

Sounds like a scam to me.

Art

I'm with you Art! Skunky beer more often than not, comes from clear and green bottled beer that is exposed to fluorescent lighting in a beer cooler. Only buy these beers in covered 12 paks.  ;)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »
A fast drinker here too, never has time to get skunky!!! I never used to need a can cooler in the summer until I slowed down a little with age!  ::) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
I remember getting Skunky beer in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam era.  I always heard that it was from the beer setting outside on the shipping docks for long periods of time in the high heat and humidity prior to getting to inside coolers.  What I do not remember is whether they were glass bottles or cans?  I almost remember the cans being a problem too?  Since Capt Jack spent time over there, maybe he has some comments.  I also remember my college days, and we always drank cheap beer, one being Strohs.  It usually was bad, but we went directly to the brewery on a tour, and the beer was good.  Fresh beer was the difference, and we all know that Budweiser advertises beer age.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »
Cliff Clavin's Theories on Beer

Beer bottles were green in color until the 1930s when it was discovered that brown bottles filtered out some light that prevented the beer from going “skunky.” It’s not called “skunky” because it smells bad, it’s called that because if you expose beer to light for long enough, it will actually smell like a skunk. Chemists at the University of North Carolina and Ghent University in Belgium found that sunlight breaks down alpha acids in hops that react with sulfur to make a chemical that is nearly identical to the smelly chemical that skunks spray.
Brown bottles filter out visible and ultraviolet light that causes this reaction. Clear and green bottles don’t do much for filtering out the harmful light, clear and green bottles are often a marketing decision more than a practical one.
Clear bottles look great, showing off the color and texture of the beer while green bottles were once a status symbol for beer. After World War II, there was a shortage of brown glass, so European brewers exported their beer in green bottles. Because many of those beers were extremely high quality and others were just priced to seem that way, the green bottle became a status symbol for great beer.
Beers with little or no hops aren’t as susceptible to damage from light, so clear and green bottles are widely accepted for those beers.

More on beer facts

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
Jack I remember that Coors always had to be kept cold otherwise it would get skunky if it got warm due to not being pasteurized. You would never find Coors out on the shelf only in the fridge and it was always cold shipped. Then later they changed it to being pasteurized so now being stored at room temp does not affect the flavor.

Could it be that there are beers that get skunky from getting warm instead of the UV light causing the flavor change? There are no labels on beer stating if it is pasteurized or not as far as I know.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
FINALLY!!! a great explanation of WHY I like beer in CLEAR BOTTLES!!!

Thanks Jack!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I had never put the hops = brown or green glass together ;) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
I recall a stop-over in Roosevelt Roads back in the late 60's while on a submarine.  The only beer they had for us was some formaldehyde laced Bud, I believe.  Our Government, in it's infinite wisdom, thought all beer destined for the "tropics" should be laced with formaldehyde.  After choking down a beer or two, we all quit and went to look for a local beer.  We found some Seabees who had a good supply of Red Stripe.  We did some horse trading for some food from the sub and were happy campers again.  That Bud was the worst beer I have ever had!  Skunked from the get-go!!

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »
I recall a stop-over in Roosevelt Roads back in the late 60's while on a submarine.  The only beer they had for us was some formaldehyde laced Bud, I believe.  Our Government, in it's infinite wisdom, thought all beer destined for the "tropics" should be laced with formaldehyde.  After choking down a beer or two, we all quit and went to look for a local beer.  We found some Seabees who had a good supply of Red Stripe.  We did some horse trading for some food from the sub and were happy campers again.  That Bud was the worst beer I have ever had!  Skunked from the get-go!!

Art
Id take an old Red Stripe over a fresh Bud any day....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
FINALLY!!! a great explanation of WHY I like beer in CLEAR BOTTLES!!!

Thanks Jack!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I had never put the hops = brown or green glass together ;) :D

Does that include Zima???  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)