Author Topic: Salt & Pepper or Gunpowder  (Read 2059 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Salt & Pepper or Gunpowder
« Reply #-1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
Found chuck roast on sale for $3 /lb.
Planned on pepper stout chuck. Was going to use salt & pepper but my canister of gunpowder fell outofcabinet, I tasted & thought might be good?
What to do?
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Salt & Pepper or Gunpowder
« on: July 22, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »

Go for it!

I did something very similar, and was quite happy with the results.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
Why not Gunpowder with pepper?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »
I gotta go with the Turtle on this one.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
Gunpowder is a goto rub for beef ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline KyNola

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
Yep, Gunpowder is great on beef.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »
Wish I liked salt that much....I like theflavor of gunpowder. But the predominating amount of msg does a number on me......
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
Wish I liked salt that much....I like theflavor of gunpowder. But the predominating amount of msg does a number on me......

And...

Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline LostArrow

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »

And...

Thanks for the research!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
I have had some effects using msg in the past, but have not had any with the gunpowder. I use it quite a bit.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »

And...

Thanks for the research!

Yeah...I just wish it were true... ::)  Wonder who paid for the spokespersons to do the vids? Yet - when scores of end users, consumers like us - experience genuine, and repeatable health problems after consuming products laden with MSG - that is when the "fit hits the shan".
It is not even arguable. Talk with PHYSICIANS, rather than the drivelers of psudeo-science, and you will find that there are folks that just should not eat it.
This is a closing paragraph from the Mayo Clinic ( I think of them as a little more credible than any "talking head" on T.V.... ;)

"Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG."

So - how small a percentage? No idea. But - it is funny to me that a few years ago, people that complained that gluten made them sick were chided and offered nothing more than derision. SO...how about now?
Seemingly - all of a sudden, gluten intolerance is making a lot of sense for a lot of people.

Lactose intolerance, etc....hey - there just are some things tha some folks can't eat.

And - then there is MSG...and if you study the chemistry of HOW it works - well - IMHO..YOU nor I should consume it.....

Stepping off soap-box now ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
I feel it only fair to clarify my statement - "and if you study the chemistry of HOW it works - well - IMHO..YOU nor I should consume it.....

The following is an excerpt from a firm that has a great deal of research into glutamates:

Is manufactured MSG a problem?

According to some MSG opponents the glutamate added to foods is "bad" and the natural glutamate in our bodies is "good".  MSG sellers argue that MSG is exactly like the glutamate in the human body, therefore it must always be "good".  It is not so simple.  There are contaminants in processed MSG.  An anology that can be used is that there are right-handed amino acids and left handed ones.  They are like mirror images of each other.   Processed MSG contains not only the kind of amino acids the body is used to handling, but mirror image ones too.  This may cause problems because it is like putting the wrong glove on your hand.  It's not quite the same.  We don't exactly know what problems this may cause.  On the other hand (so to speak) the fact that glutamate the body is used to handling is also in MSG may present a problem because an excess of naturally occurring glutamate is well known by neuroscientists to be a problem in many disease states.  Natural glutamate can cause problems we already know about.  The reason food processors "free" glutamate from its bound form, is that it acts as a neurotransmitter in its free form.  The food industry's claim that free glutamate is as harmless as bound glutamate is disingenuous at best.  If it was exactly the same, they wouldn't need to hydrolyse vegetable protein (split the amino acids apart).

How do they make MSG or Free Glutamic Acid?

The following links explain exactly how the food industry can make free glutamic acid by hydrolyzing vegetable protein or by fermentation of glucose from starchy foods.  In essence, MSG manufacturers can not only free bound glutamic acid from foods, but create it chemically.

Why do food companies add  MSG to foods?

There are several reasons:

MSG tricks your tongue into making you think a certain food is high in protein and thus nutritious.  It is not a "meat tenderizer".  It is not a "preservative".  The food industry is trying to confuse the issue by focusing on the "fifth" taste sense they call umami.  Free glutamic acid is detected by the taste buds as a simple way to signal the presence of protein in a food, just as there are fat receptors to detect fats and receptors that sense carbohydrate or sweet flavors.  The purpose is to help us discern real food from inedible matter.  It changes your perception of not simply taste but the nutritious qualities of what you put into your mouth. However, and here is the main problem with free glutamic acid - It is the very same neurotransmitter that your brain and many organs including your ears, eyes, nervous system and pancreas in your body use to initiate certain processes in your body.

MSG stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin.  So many diets these days are concerned about the Glycemic Index of foods and yet none of them address the fact that MSG and free glutamic acid stimulate the pancreas to release insulin when there doesn't even have to be carbohydrates in the food for that insulin to act on.  The food industry has found their own "anti-appetite suppressant".  It's a convenient way to keep consumers coming back for more.   The blood sugar drops because of the insulin flood.  And you are hungry an hour later.  Sound familiar?

The body changes excess glutamate to GABA.   GABA may be addictive.  It is calming and affects the same receptors in the brain as valium.

Cost.  The illusion created by adding MSG to a food product enables the food processor to add LESS real food.  The illusion of more protein in a food allows the food producer to put LESS protein in it.  The consumer perceives the product - say chicken soup - to have more chicken in it than is actually there.  Example:  A well-known brand of dehydrated chicken noodle soup.  Is that chicken in there, or a piece of confetti?

I only want to post this - because I think a lot of us are on the fence about MSG. And - frankly, if you have  a sensitivity to it, you know. If you don't you might fairly doubt the validity of someone's complaint about it. That is fair. It's kind of like color blindness. If you are not color blind, it is hard to understand. If you are - you have no idea what green should look like, only what it looks like to you.

And - for me - I like the taste of gunpowder....just can't use it on my food - so I am envious ;D

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:57:37 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »
Gunpowder it was & it was WONDERFUL!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
Gunpowder it was & it was WONDERFUL!

Hey - I am with you -as for taste....But I hear heroin is wonderful too....just can't get past the other issues with it :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
Tee don't get me wrong I value your opinion. But as just as many sites you find that talk about side effects of MSG there are others that argue differently.

The show "Food Detectives" was a favorite of mine while it ran. I remembered this episode and thought I would post it. IMHO I don't think they were paid off. They have done many episodes on many different food myths this just happened to be one that fit the subject. The power of the mind can be an amazing thing. The power of suggestion can cause people to act into thinking they are having a reaction. Do I believe that no one has a reaction to MSG?... No. Do I believe that it has been blown out of proportion?.... Yes.

Too much of anything is not a good thing. Heck you can die from drinking too much water. Too much regular soda makes you fat and rots your teeth. Too much diet soda can cause cancer ect. ect.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC