Author Topic: Smoked Mozzarella  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Sailor1

Smoked Mozzarella
« Reply #-1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
Smoked up around 4 1/2 pounds of Assoluti Mozzarella with 3 hours of Cherry.  This was left over from a 6 pound block that I had for a pizza tasting party.  I had smoked up a 6 pound block a few months ago to compare the smoked vs Unsmoked and the smoked versions won hands down.  Still have some of the previous smoked cheese but it is going fast.  Use it in salads and it is fantastic to make a pulled pork melt sammy.  Got a buddy that is in the Pizza business and he was so nice to sell me the cheese at cost.  $11.60 for 6 pounds is a heck of a price.

Say cheese

All smoked up and ready to vac seal to age

See ya in 30 days Mr. Cheese

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Smoked Mozzarella
« on: June 16, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »
I like what cherry + pecan does....I will bet  your cheese tastes great!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
 Sounds like a great deal.  Looks good too.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:00:53 PM »
Sounds delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
That IS a good price. I sounds like you are going to have some very nice cheese!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Smoked Mozzarella
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
I was available for the pizza tasting party.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
That is going to be some good cheese!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Hey that looks great!!!  Question - I have never smoked cheese but am interested.  I see that part about leaving for 30 days - could you clue me in on what that is all about?  (This site is awesome - I never stop learning)

Thanks!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 02:53:45 AM »
Take some of that smoked mozz and put it in the center of meatballs
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:52:36 AM »
Hey that looks great!!!  Question - I have never smoked cheese but am interested.  I see that part about leaving for 30 days - could you clue me in on what that is all about?  (This site is awesome - I never stop learning)

Thanks!

It has been my experience that most cheeses right out of the smoker don't taste very good.  They almost have a taste that reminds you of the smell from an ash tray that has been sitting around a while, IMO.  Vacuum sealing allows the smoke flavor to permeate the cheese and "mellow out".  I usually give my smoked cheeses at least four weeks.  When I smoke cheese, it is usually ten or more pounds.  The cheese usually gets to sit for longer, especially if I happen to forget that it is in the refrigerator, in the back of a drawer I reserve for my smoked cheeses.  Hope this helps. 

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:10:33 AM »

Thanks!

ACW3 is spot on about the 30 days.  If you have never tried to smoke cheese I would suggest that you give it a try.  It is easy and the results are fantastic!  I have had great luck using the following method.  Use cold smoke and try to keep the cabinet temp between 80 to 90 degrees.  If you get the cabinet temp too high you will have melted cheese.  Hard cheeses are easy to do such as sharp cheddar, mild cheddar, jack and colby.  Soft cheese can also be done but keep a sharp eye on the temps.  I have an electric smoker so it is pretty easy to maintain those temps.  Never smoked cheese in a stick burner or pellet burner so I can not make comments on that.  If your cabinet temp starts to get too high you can put ice in a pan to help reduce the cabinet temp.  I find that using Apple or Cherry or Pecan gives a good flavor and is not over powering for cheese.  Apply 2 to 3 hrs of smoke.  When the smoking is finished take a paper towel and dab off the moisture and any oils that have formed on the cheese.  Let the cheese firm up a tad while on the kitchen counter.  Vac seal the cheese and let it age for 30 days.  If you are like most of us you will open a pack to give it a taste test after a week or 2 and find that it tastes like an ash try and be wondering how something this awful could possibly taste so good.  Just let it rest and mellow and you will see what we are raving about.  When you do try to smoke some cheese make sure that you smoke up a bunch because once it ages and you dig into it you will find that you will run out pretty fast.  I just found a hunk that I did over a year ago and it was fantastic so cheese keeps really well vac sealed and in the fridge.  Let us know how yours turns out.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:42:10 AM »
Great tips on cheese smoking and all I can say is "Cheese Please"
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
Great tips on cheese smoking and all I can say is "Cheese Please"
X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #