Author Topic: Just can't help myself - Briskets in the smoker  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Just can't help myself - Briskets in the smoker
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »
Brisket looks great!!!  Nice cook.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »
Brisket looks great!!!  Nice cook.
x2,thanks for sharing. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muralboy

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
Sounds great. Would you share your tomato sauce recipe?

Hey Don

I can't remember which website I found this on, I think it might have been Yahoo foods.  It is so simple and easy to adapt to your own taste.  First time I made it people thought I added a bunch of cheese - nope.  Served it at an event, had several people, including some of my Italiano friends, ask me for the recipe.

Something about how the butter renders with the tomato.  Very fresh.  For this smoke I added some whole cloves of garlic, basil, parsley and thyme.

The recipe even is tailored perfectly to a 28- ounce can of good-quality tomatoes -- or, for a change of pace, use the ripe, plump, shiny tomatoes that you can find this season. Whatever you choose, just add an onion, swirl in some butter, and simmer away.

Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter
Serves 6, enough to sauce 1 to 1 1/2 pounds pasta
2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes, prepared as described below, or 2 cups canned imported Italian tomatoes, cut up, with their juice
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half Salt to taste

1. If using fresh tomatoes: Plunge the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or less. Drain them and, as soon as they are cool enough to handle, skin them, and cut
them into coarse pieces. OR: Freeze tomatoes on a baking sheet until hard. Thaw again, either on the counter or under running water. Skin them and cut them into coarse pieces.

2. Put either the prepared fresh tomatoes or the canned in a saucepan, add the butter, onion, and salt, and cook uncovered at a very slow, but steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until it is thickened to your liking and the fat floats free from the tomato.

3. Stir from time to time, mashing up any large pieces of tomato with the back of a wooden spoon.

4. Taste and correct for salt. Discard the onion before tossing with pasta. Serve with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese for the table.

enjoy
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline muralboy

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
sorry, meant Doc - dang spell checker
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »
I concur with IR2dum (sorry - I don't know your/his name  :D) - I use mesquite pellets in my pellet grill for brisket with hickory or cherry in the cold smoker box and have had pretty good luck - it gives me a great smoke ring and the best smoke flavor so far (I like a strong smoke flavor for brisket - it's the only time I use mesquite).  I have had better luck with solid mesquite for flavor than I have with a flavored or blended pellet but they are hard to find.  Experiment (a lot) and you will find a combo that works best for you and gives you the results you are looking for. 

You made great looking brisket!!!!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline muralboy

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging feedback
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »
Thanks, muralboy! I hate spellchecker too - but I got it and bookmarked.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #