Author Topic: Smoked Pork Shoulder in a Foil versus No Foil Cook Off in response to jecrensh  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Savannahsmoker

jecrensh posted a question to "Do I have to wrap pork butt" so in response I am posting a test we performed some years back.

Pork Shoulder in a Foil versus No Foil Cook Off

Using our Traeger Lil Tex loaded with Lumber Jack Hickory Pellets, using the TR-100 controller, reduce DIF air flow and for extra smoke we used the A-Maz-Smoker, we did a foil no foil cook off.  I went with Bentley’s recommendation and planned to foil one at 170 degrees.  Both shoulders weighed in at 11 lbs.

My wife applied yellow mustard and our Mohunken Butt Rub and put them in the fridge overnight.

Four thirty in the morning and it was time to get the BBQ show on the road.  We did not brine these shoulders but I did inject them with apple juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire, a little hot sauce and apple vinegar.

Using the A-maz-n Smoker for a little added smoke flavor. 

Five A.M. smoker was warmed up and ready, in went the shoulders and the plan is to smoke at 180 for four hours and the finish at 225.

Four Thirty P.M. shoulders are coming up to 170 degrees so it was time to foil one for the cook off

Foiled and back in the Smoker:

Post two:
After resting for one hour it was time to take a look at these two chunks of smoked pork.
 Looking at the picture the foiled shoulder is on your left shoulder side.  The foiled shoulder looks very dry compared to the non-foiled shoulder.

Foiled shoulder looks dry.

Non-Foiled shoulder looks very moist and scrumptious.

Foiled shoulder did pull apart easily and it seem to have good moisture deeper inside.

Non-foiled pulled did not pull apart easy as the foiled but it had as much moisture.

Foiled shoulder bone pulled free without a problem.

Non-foiled shoulder bone also pulled free without a problem.

Foiled

Non-foiled

Conclusions:
Non-foiled had a richer moister look.
Nob-foiled had much better bark.
Foiled shoulder pulled easier.

My wife’s comments:
"I think that was a big waste of foil.    The foiled one indeed was much easier to pull; however, the bark was just that-Bark!!It did not pull or chop nicely into the mixture. The redeeming factor was that Mister did two shoulders so I could mix them.  If we had just done the one with foil, it would not be in our freezer today-way too dry."

Seven family members conducted a blind taste test and here are the results of which meat they picked as best in the following catagories.
Bark       =    Non-foiled
Looks       =    Non-foiled
Texture                =    Non-foiled
Bark Taste   =    Non-foiled
Pork Taste   =    Non-foiled

Post Three: Storing the BBQ Pork.
In addition to foil versus not foil test we smoked this for sandwiches and this is how we store it.
My wife pulls the pork, chops the bark, blends it together and stacks it into serving size for two.

Bagged and ready for the Food Saver:

Doing it:

Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
That is a nice little production you have going there!  PP looks amazing!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Great comparison, thanks for doing that test! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline RAD

What a great post. Nice pointers
Love to cook and eat

Offline hikerman

Good thread Art! And nice job comparing and showing pros and cons of each.
A couple 2 or 3 years ago I went foil-less with ribs and butts/shoulders and haven't looked back! I like my pork with a lot of bark and a little bite! :D

Offline Savannahsmoker

A couple 2 or 3 years ago I went foil-less with ribs and butts/shoulders and haven't looked back!
How about telling us your procedure for smoking ribs without foil and how the ribs turn out please.

Art

The Big Easy

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
I agree with the no foil approach.  Just be aware of the sugar content of rubs/spritzes/mops.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline hikerman

A couple 2 or 3 years ago I went foil-less with ribs and butts/shoulders and haven't looked back!
How about telling us your procedure for smoking ribs without foil and how the ribs turn out please.

It's rather simple. CYM and then the rub of choice, refrigerate overnight or at least morning of. A new coating of rub is applied just before going on the grill. Ribs are done on the pellet grill set at 225F  usually burning maple/hickory/cherry pellets. I spritz every 30 minutes or so with apple juice with a bit of apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire. Usually the ribs take around 5 hours,  but all ribs are different sometimes taking longer, sometimes taking less time. When the meat starts pulling away from the bone we are getting close. I like dry Memphis-style ribs with a tabled sauce if needed, whereas my wife likes a sauce glaze finish, so we trade off. When I glaze  with a bbw sauce the grill goes up to 325F to finish. These have more tug when eating rather than the 3 -2 -1 method where they fall off the bone. It's all good but I love my Memphis-style!  :D  Hope this helps!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tomcrete1

That's awesome!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Savannahsmoker

Thanks hikerman as I was curious.
I do my un-foiled ribs about the same except at 215 degrees and for about 6 hours.  Also, as you, I go up to 325 degrees to set the sauce.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
WOW!!  What a post.  Nicely presented.  Certainly some "food" for thought the next time I cook a few butts.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Savannahsmoker

BTW, now that I have gain some experience smoking in a pellet smokers rather than a stick burners the family now like the butts and ribs foiled better than non-foiled but they are close.  As is said "time changes our choices".
Art

The Big Easy