Author Topic: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review  (Read 68098 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 09:07:34 PM »
Is the below cabinet standard now? Like that front shelf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes the cabinet is Pappy.  The front shelf is an accessory and it is real nice. I have always felt that all grills should have a front shelf and a cover standard, but that is just me I guess...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »
Yes... and there she is :). Super nice!! Just curious, did you toy with the idea of the front cabinet door. I did it and love it! Gives it a super finished look and makes for a nice place to hide stuff :)

Gosh double darn it!!!!  I must have missed that. I thought I got all the goodies. Let me get some coin saved up.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 09:19:54 PM »
Yes... and there she is :). Super nice!! Just curious, did you toy with the idea of the front cabinet door. I did it and love it! Gives it a super finished look and makes for a nice place to hide stuff :)

Gosh double darn it!!!!  I must have missed that. I thought I got all the goodies. Let me get some coin saved up.
LOL... I get it! One thing at a time :)

That door really ties it all together. Gotta get one later.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:31:32 AM by smokeasaurus »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 09:53:05 PM »
Is the below cabinet standard now? Like that front shelf

Yes the cabinet is Pappy.  The front shelf is an accessory and it is real nice. I have always felt that all grills should have a front shelf and a cover standard, but that is just me I guess...............
So it doesn't come with the door? I would like that option. I might need to consider some upgrades

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »
Beautiful smoker ... congrats!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 05:10:40 AM »
Just beautiful. ;D

Looking forward too all your posts
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »
I’m glad I didn’t get the cabinet door because that is where I store the griddle and it wouldn’t fit with the door. 

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 02:27:40 PM »
This is Awesome!  Like reading a good book!  I cant wait to see what happens in chapter two! :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 05:35:09 PM »
Fantastic looking smoker!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RAD

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
This is going to be good. Smoke reviews are always great!!
Love to cook and eat

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
smoke, I'm looking forward to the review. Congrats on the new MAK,

Offline akjeff

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
Congrats! You're going to flip out the first time you cook on it!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »
Lets talk about the Flame Zone that is a MAK exclusive. The Flamezone is standard on the 2 Star and can be bought separately for the 1 Star.

Now maybe this added to my confustion about the Flamezone or maybe I was just missing something. I always felt the Flamezone was an add on for high heat searing. It is not.It is a part of the Quick Change Grease Pan System. The complete working system inside your MAK. This is not your basic run of the mill heat diffuser with a grease tray, we are talking the Gold Standard here. Check it out.

Lets dive into this shall we:

Here is the inside body of the grill with everything removed. We will talk about the firepot and trap door later.

Here is the outer frame which is the grease tray. On the right hand side you see the large cutout. This goes in towards the right side of the grill. You can also see the downward angle of the inside frame which lets the grease flow from left to right into the grease drain. The grease runs along the sides of the outer frame.

Do you see the "handles" in the center around the fire pot opening. These serve two purposes. The heat diffuser mounts to these handles and you can also easily grab these to remove the outer frame/grease tray. Great thinking.

Here is the outer frame/grease tray installed in the 2 Star

The heat diffuser is next and embossed on it is "TOP" which means this way up. It mounts to the handles on the outer frame/grease tray

So here is how the outerframe/grease tray with heat diffuser looks all put together in the grill

Notice how the outer frame/grease tray is funneled down to the fire pot?  This is really a multi functioning part of the overall system.

1. The grease is caught in the outer lip and drains to the grease drain.
2. The design is made to deflect the heat from inward to outward creating a very even cooking surface.

Now we get to the Flamezone pan. This fits on top of the grease tray and fits in the raised lip that runs along the outside of the outerframe/grease tray. There are rows of "dimples" with holes in them. This lets more intense heat rise up to grill level.

Here is the FlameZone installed. Not to get too far ahead, but this is your high heat cooking set up.

However, this is a world class smoker so the last part is the Flame Zone covers. There are two and they run horizontally on the FlameZone ports (dimples with holes). They should only be removed for when you want to cook hot and fast. I like to call that grilling.  :)

So here is the complete Quick Change Grease Pan System. This is the set-up you will use for indirect/smoking.

We are almost finished. We need something to put our meat on!! You get two split grates. No I normally do not split grates because (at least in other Mfg grills) they do not sir right and kind of move around. No worries here. When installed you would think they were one piece. MAK does it right!!
One thing to add: if you get the optional full grate assembly, it will fit and become your main cooking grate if you so wish (thanks Cliff for the tip)

So here are two set-ups when you are ready to cook on your MAK
Indirect cooking/Smoking

High heat cooking...hot and fast. You simply remove the two Flame Zone Covers.

Well there you have it. When unpacking everything, I was confused. "Look at this stuff, what do I do with it?"  It just fell into place.

Now I showed your two set ups. One for indirect. One for direct/high heat.

However, there are so many more combinations I will show later in the review.

Ya want a teaser??  Sure you do!! Remove one Flame Zone cover and you can high heat grill on one half of the grill and have the other half for indirect. Smoke some beans while grilling chicken wings on the other half. 

don't worry, The Smoke has it figured out. This review is going to be a long one and I will try to show the many combinations of this brilliant all in on one cooking machine.

See everyone soon with some more standard features later.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:31:58 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 01:52:58 PM »
Nice write up! When you really get down to the nuts and bolts of the new MAK, it doesn’t take long to figure out that this is not a normal pellet grill. It has some pretty creative and smart engineering behind it :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »
This is great so far! Nice job.

I am picking mine up on March 23rd at the factory and can't wait.

This review is really solidifying my choice.  :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star General #3579