Author Topic: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review  (Read 70354 times)

Offline skidog

Re: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
Looking good!
If you have an IR gun I would be interested in how even the temps are with both sear grates installed and the flame zone covers removed. Like if you wanted to use the whole thing for a grilling surface, how much of a difference in temp there is between the middle and the 4 corners?
That is if you don't mind.  :)

Enjoying you review, between you and tenthunter it's the only decent information on the MAK grills since like 2013. I feel like MAK needs to do some updating on their website and videos.

I used to leave the MAk website not really knowing more than when I started. When we were doing serious pellet grill research, many other manufacturers web sites really spelled it out for you.

Maybe MAK will  do some changes to their site. The site seems cold and antiseptic to me. Not bashing, just stating how I feel.

Lets give MAK some credit, they are on board with this review and we are out to show the grilling world what a MAK can do. For those who own one, you know what I mean, we need to get this information out there so potential owners can really understand the genius of MAK and can then make a sound purchase.

I agree. I'm glad they are on board with your review.
I'm on some other forums and people trying to decide between say a MAK and a Memphis said the same thing as you about the website and available information. That's why I'm glad yourself and tenthunter are doing reviews. It's the most useful information I can find on the internet about MAK. They have made so many updates to their grills I just feel they need to do some updating on their website and videos.
When I have the money I'll be getting a MAK the lack of updated info on their website isn't swaying me, but other people I think it does.
For instance they should show that you can use the whole surface for higher heat grilling instead of everyone else's small area over the fire pot. That to me is a pretty big deal on available pellet grills.
Anyway, keep up the good work smokasaurus, I've pointed people on the fence to this website and MAK reviews because they are the most up to date and useful reviews i can find on the internet.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline skidog

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
Looking good!
If you have an IR gun I would be interested in how even the temps are with both sear grates installed and the flame zone covers removed. Like if you wanted to use the whole thing for a grilling surface, how much of a difference in temp there is between the middle and the 4 corners?

Enjoying you review, between you and tenthunter it's the only decent information on the MAK grills since like 2013. I feel like MAK needs to do some updating on their website and videos.

I have to grin and nod a little about this comment :)...because I understand what you mean. I think of MAK as inventive, quality driven, and extremely conscious of durability and performance. And, while I cannot - nor would I intentionally attempt to speak o n their behalf - I believe that based on their actions (= products...) they have a core philosophy that has been so focused on making the best grill they can....that the " warm fuzzy" of the feel of a website has not been the priority.
Perhaps another perspective would be , that while many companies attempt to wow you with website marketing ( which is not a criticism of anyone...just observation...) and they expend a great deal of time, and energy doing so ( which coasts $$$$) ...MAK has put virtually all of their effort into product. Maybe more of a "If we build it they will come..." thinking?
Regardless, I find no "compromise" in their process to produce the best grill they can. But..yeah a more informative website couldn't hurt... ;D

I agree with you about their quality and commitment. I get it.
But lets be honest, when people are going to be parting with possibly over 3000 dollars on a grill they kinda want to see some up to date info on what they are getting, especially people who are maybe not familiar with pellet grills and don't know the reputation MAK has for service and quality.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2018, 04:13:09 PM »
Looking good!

I used to leave the MAk website not really knowing more than when I started. When we were doing serious pellet grill research, many other manufacturers web sites really spelled it out for you.

Maybe MAK will  do some changes to their site. The site seems cold and antiseptic to me. Not bashing, just stating how I feel.

Lets give MAK some credit, they are on board with this review and we are out to show the grilling world what a MAK can do. For those who own one, you know what I mean, we need to get this information out there so potential owners can really understand the genius of MAK and can then make a sound purchase.

I agree. I'm glad they are on board with your review.
I'm on some other forums and people trying to decide between say a MAK and a Memphis said the same thing as you about the website and available information. That's why I'm glad yourself and tenthunter are doing reviews. It's the most useful information I can find on the internet about MAK. They have made so many updates to their grills I just feel they need to do some updating on their website and videos.
When I have the money I'll be getting a MAK the lack of updated info on their website isn't swaying me, but other people I think it does.
For instance they should show that you can use the whole surface for higher heat grilling instead of everyone else's small area over the fire pot. That to me is a pretty big deal on available pellet grills.
Anyway, keep up the good work smokasaurus, I've pointed people on the fence to this website and MAK reviews because they are the most up to date and useful reviews i can find on the internet.

Well, I sure thank you much for the kind words.

Please spread the word because this review is going to go on for a long while. These are real life cooks. I have no format and nothing scripted. We can be off the weekend and do a long cook or run in at 7 at night and fire up the MAK and grill something.

I would like to point out that tenthunter (cliff) and I are in no way at all affiliated with MAK. Now Cliff has owned a MAK for years as well as our exalted leader Teesquare (Tim) and they know MAK grills almost as good as the guys at MAK do.

I am only one month in the MAK experience and I can tell you that so far a MAK is everything it is cracked up to be and then some.

Please keep sending people over, The Smoke will not steer them wrong.  :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »
Also, I am it has been noticed on this review and on some of my previous reviews that they are not "Fan Boy" reviews.

You know the kind, "I just bought this grill and it is the end all and be all of all grills"..................

Nah, we don't roll like that here at LTBBQ.

We don't bash cause that aint right. I will praise and I will praise loudly but I am also not afraid of "constructive criticism" just pointing things out that just missed the mark and I can't believe they thought of this will all be brought forward if necessary."

So far in the case of the MAK 2 Star General so far so really good.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Our second cook on the MAK was a fun hamburger cook. We got home late (well late for us) one evening and wanted a burger.

We set the MAK 2 Star up for a full griddle cook using both griddles. ( Flame Zone Diffusers are to be left on the Flame Zone when using the griddle)
You also do not want to exceed 400 degrees, I have found that 350-375 does the trick.

Tossed four frozen patties on (I think you can get 5 patties on each griddle for a cook of 10)

Moved them together and grilled some onions at the same time

Now I was always saying "I will get the 1 Star, I will never use the warming/cold smoking box on the 2 Star"

Well, that sure changed in a hurry!!! The warmer/cold smoke box is turning out to be my best friend.  I toasted some buns and then placed them in the box.....they stayed warm and soft while cooking the patties and onions

They were as good as they look.

I just want everyone to know you will see a bunch of griddle cooking in this review......now don't worry, we will be smoking.......It's what I do!!!!

We just didn't get the MAK to just be our smoker, we wanted it to be our main griddle and searing grill and it is delivering in spades.

So, yes the MAK is not inexpensive.......however if you add up the cost of a mid level pellet grill, a gasser and a flat top griddle, The MAK saves you money.......and plenty of space on your patio or rear deck...........

...................and will last longer than all three cookers combined with decades to spare..............................

see you at the next cook!!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »
That is a fantastic griddle cook! How was the cleanup? Easy or ??
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »
That is a fantastic griddle cook! How was the cleanup? Easy or ??

Great question:  super easy. Just wipe out with a paper towel (when cool) and if you wish, just hand wash wish dish soap and warm water......easy peasy.

Also want to add that since the griddles are aluminum, they are light and easy to carry into the kitchen sink.

I really like the raised sides, yes I would love a completely flat cooking surface but these sides keep all the food in the griddle where they belong. Grilling onions or small cubed taters are a piece of cake.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
Could you go higher in temp of you remove the flame zone covers?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
I believe MAK recommends the set temp not to exceed 400° because of the Teflon coating they use. That kind of bugs me if I am correct... but then how often do I really need it above that temp? Well, griddle seared steaks are good... but other than that, I can’t really think of a good reason I’d need a higher temp. One last thing, and this is just s guess... maybe Smoke can confirm this... but I’ll bet a Pellet Boss set temp of 400° will produce a griddle surface that exceeds that. The radiant heat under that griddle is no joke.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »
Your not worried about air circulation with both griddle on?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline skidog

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
Oh yum!
I just got done doing a rack of those Walmart center cut beef ribs. What little meat there was is tasty but don't think I'll waste my time on those anymore.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
Oh yum!
I just got done doing a rack of those Walmart center cut beef ribs. What little meat there was is tasty but don't think I'll waste my time on those anymore.
I had the same experience and I agree with you
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »

You could Pappy, but with the griddles being Teflon impregnated aluminum, the higher heat would damage them so I leave the covers on.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
I believe MAK recommends the set temp not to exceed 400° because of the Teflon coating they use. That kind of bugs me if I am correct... but then how often do I really need it above that temp? Well, griddle seared steaks are good... but other than that, I can’t really think of a good reason I’d need a higher temp. One last thing, and this is just s guess... maybe Smoke can confirm this... but I’ll bet a Pellet Boss set temp of 400° will produce a griddle surface that exceeds that. The radiant heat under that griddle is no joke.

MAK says anything over 400 could damage the Teflon. I have found at 350-375 it grills great with the flame zone covers in place.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »
Your not worried about air circulation with both griddle on?

Howdy Sparky, how's it going?  :)   No problems with air circulation. I leave the cooking grates in place and set the griddles right on top. The griddles have curled ends which raise them a bit above the cooking grates.

I will get a picture tomorrow and get it on here of the underside of the griddles.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven