Author Topic: A little brisket on the 1 star  (Read 1933 times)

Offline FinsnFeathers

Re: A little brisket on the 1 star
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
Nice cook!
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline Lantern

Re: A little brisket on the 1 star
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
Sorry for the newbie questions but am I to assume the onion and garlic are powdered?

Also, I’m wondering if you remove extra fat on brisket like I do with ribs?

I apologize for being so late to reply!!!

I like granulated onion and garlic over powdered. It's close in size to all the other things in my rub so it mixes and goes on well. It also helps with the bark....IMO.

As far as fat goes we are fat fans in this house HOWEVER I like to get my whole brisket as even in thickness as I can. The hard fat has to go and the fat on top is cut to 1/8-1/4 inch UNLESS the end is thin then I leave it there. The fat between the point and the flat is where I get the thickness down. I cut in between the two staying only in the fat.

That being said, this particular whole brisket was a bit of a white buffalo. It was very even throughout out of the cryovac bag and the point travelled nearly the length of the FLAT!!!

One more apology. I used Orington Farms beef base and broth powder(very little vs the other ingredients). I also use Better than bouillon paste sometimes. JUST DON"T smear it on. Water that stuff down and use it to wet the meat for your rub to stick to. Either one make a pretty good spritz as you're cooking IMO.