Author Topic: New Idea for MAK to Borrow  (Read 1478 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
New Idea for MAK to Borrow
« Reply #-1 on: July 28, 2018, 01:43:45 AM »
Thanks to all that chimed in on helping my friend with some other ideas for a smoker. Looking on the GMG website they have an awesome addition to their smoker.
They have a wood fired pizza attachment.
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/new-parts/accessories/wood-fired-pizza-attachment/

To me there would be no real difference between that and the Unni product?
https://www.williamsfoodequipment.com/uuni-3-portable-wood-fired-oven?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_mkuIrB3AIVRoJ-Ch28oA9eEAkYASABEgJXsPD_BwE

Would MAK consider looking into this for us??

What would the team say to this??

Thanks for viewing and comments,
CDN
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
Re: New Idea for MAK to Borrow
« on: July 28, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »
CDN -

On a MAK, not sure how this would perform any better than uncovered Flame Zone with a pizza steel/stone on the main grates, and cranking the MAK pellet Boss up to HIGH or 500? Seems like a lot of "extra" when the MAK already has the basics in place.  Just my 2c....
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
X2
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
I bought my Nephew one of these last year for his Green Mountain Grill. It worked fantastic - as advertised. The first pizza crust burned cause we had it cranked up too high - but once he dialed it in (set pit temp around 350ºF) he can cook a pizza in less than 3-5 minutes. It's actually a really good accessory to have if you enjoy wood fired pizzas. I recommend you use an Infrared Thermometer to check the surface temp ... It will keep you from ruining pizzas.

If MAK had this accessory I would consider getting one. I'm on a low carb lifestyle now but I would love to try cooking a cauliflower crust pizza.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:04:16 AM »
CDN -

On a MAK, not sure how this would perform any better than uncovered Flame Zone with a pizza steel/stone on the main grates, and cranking the MAK pellet Boss up to HIGH or 500? Seems like a lot of "extra" when the MAK already has the basics in place.  Just my 2c....

I have a steel but never tried it that way, I will be soon Thanks ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »
CDN -

A steel...is not a stone...and it even cooks differently than cast iron. Be sure to par bake your crust well on a steel if you like  a lighter, non-soggy crust. ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
CDN -

A steel...is not a stone...and it even cooks differently than cast iron. Be sure to par bake your crust well on a steel if you like  a lighter, non-soggy crust. ;) ;D

Teesquare - would you please explain what you mean by "par bake" ?  Not sure what you are stating needs to be done using a steel instead of stone.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »
I make pizza every week or 2, using 2 pizza stones at 400 with indirect heat (covered).  I use parchment paper for 5 minutes then remove parchment.  We have all decided $30 pizzas are not nearly as good as our 2 pizzas for $10.  We have bought 2 pizzas in 8 months since we purchased our MAK.  At $30 every 2 weeks it cost $480.  By making pizzas we spend about $160.  The pellets maybe $17 for 2 bags? That’s a saving of $300 in 8 months.  In 9 years the MAK would be paid for in pizzas alone.  :P

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »
I have made plenty of pizza on my Mak using a stone and grill set to 400.. works great every time!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline pr0jekt_cha0s

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »
I make a lot of pizzas too on the Mak. I crank it up to high, preheat the pizza stone in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Comes out perfect.
Mak 2 Star General
Large Big Green Egg
Camp Chef Flat Top Griddle 600