Author Topic: Mak convincing  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Mak convincing
« Reply #-1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
       I really want the mak 2 general. I have to start saving and I want to have it bye next summer. Bye thanksgiving would be better but it's expensive. The problem in the meantime is I'll have enough for the less expensive grills. I was looking at the new  camp chef for a fraction of the price. Do you get what you pay for in pellet grills ? If the mak is gonna out last the competition I don't mind paying the premium. The thing with the camp chef was how hot it can get to sear something. I get thinking too much. Maybe the mak gets just as hot. I don't know. My brain is over thinking everything
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Dave R.

Re: Mak convincing
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:08:30 AM »
Well I can only share my experiences and thoughts. Others may disagree. I struggled with justifying the cost also but ultimately bought the II Star. It is built to last but I can't compare to the less costly grills. My hunch is they have a lower level of overall quality but what product doesn't. It boils down to what you can afford I suppose. Maybe consider a much cheaper grill that uses briquet's for the mean time. That way once you can get your MAK you'll have already started an arsenal of tools for grilling.
As far as searing goes. When I bought my MAK I got the grill grate also. Does it get as hot as others, well maybe not but there are so many other ways to put a sear on I decided it was NOT a deal killer. I wanted the MAK based on design, being able to upgrade as they improve design and the over all quality period. I had the advantage of taking the factory tour with the owner of the place. Seeing how neatly kept and attention to detail the employees had I was sold and with zero regrets. I had the Memphis Elite and Yoder 640 on my radar at the time. The Memphis for us didn't offer enough advantage over the MAK to justify the increased cost and my wife didn't like the weight of the cover on the Yoder so it was off the hit list. I could have been extremely happy with any of them but the wife cooks with it often so it needed to fit her happy profile. Good luck. They are worth waiting for. I'm not suggesting this is a good idea for everyone but worth consideration for others. We have the resources to buy what we want and need for the most part, including the MAK grill but on many of our larger purchases if the retailer is offering an interest free loan we normally use that. Our piggy bank has the funds but in investments rather than a low interesting bearing savings account. I would much rather leverage someone Else's money than take a hit on our investments. Did that most recently with the purchase of a new zero turn mower. Easily could have paid cash but opted for the zero interest approach. The biggest negative and I strongly suggest this to anyone thinking of going that route is DON'T be late on the contract. They will hit you with a death grip interest charge that can be devastating to some. If I don't have the resources to pay it off if and when it's due then I don't buy or pay cash up front. Good luck with your decision. Again what I stated is just our thoughts and experiences while others may agree, disagree or maybe share other pros and cons not mentioned.
MAK #3591

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »
I guess I should have looked at your profile. I see you already have some ways to do your cooks. Disregard. My bad.
MAK #3591

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
Without writing a tome on the subject....which I am prone to do..... ;D And - please bear in mind I am a paying customer - and NOT a spokesman for MAK. I am writing this based on many conversations with them, and my experience. My statements herein  are NOT "official"....tho I would challenge you to contact MAK - and and other MAK owners, and see that I am not telling you anything un-true. ;) ;D

MAK is a company that makes all of it's products based on the philosophy of "non-obosolence". SO - not only do they use aluminized steel in their base model MAK 1 Star....but when yo go to the 2 Star - the entire body of it is a grade of stainless  that WILL NOT rust. I know - "stainless steel"...in our minds, it is not supposed to rust - but I will promise you that many of the grills made today are NOT made of a high quality stainless that will not rust. It will need to be willed to your kids.
As well - there is an un-advertised "up-grade path" available. I have the 26th MAK 2 Star ever sold. It has been upgraded to the 2015 model features. And - I could probably take it to current for 2018...but I am up-grading  another MAK 2Star att his time... ;D
Next - you may or may not place an importance on this...but MAK does not even buy fasteners made in China. They are solid on the belief of using every part possible made in the USA. ( the "computer" fans that are used are not made in the USA...NONE are. But the MAK's - is not a Chinese fan.... ;))
I will not even attempt to get into all of the accessories that MAK makes. It is a list all it's own....you can do everything with a MAK 2 Star- from cold smoke - to hot smoke - to GRILL......
Service/support. NONE BETTER exists in this industry. Opinion? Absolutely!!!! What is it based on? I have owned or cooked on a half-dozen different brands. Had occasion to need something on all of them, whether that was information, or materials.
The MAK controller is one that many manufacturers have tried to imitate - and are still trying to play catch up....MAK has the unusual ability to design their own controllers and manufacture their own grill boxes in house because the parent company Makes Metals - is one of the largest providers of the the equipment that we all ignore when driving thru a traffic light controlled intersection. Next time you do so, look for a brushed stainless "box" off of one of the corners of the intersection. I may be the size of a phone booth. ( Geez...you have to be "of a certain age" to remember those....? :D :D :D) Stuffed inside are potentially thousands of wires, printed circuit boards and what appears to be an impossible to figure out maze....THIS experience is what gives the MAK team the ability to make a controller that will hold temps tighter than a commercial quality oven....And - right not he face of the controller are 3 ports for probes, to measure up to 3 different internal temps. of items being cooked. As well - MAK invented the WiFi controlled pellet grill - long before other companies. So anywhere in the world that you have internet connectivity - you can control your MAK! Sound frivolous??? Think back on the number of times that you had JUST put the brisket, or boston butt on the cooker....and someone called - and they need this or that. Or you forget and have scheduled your teeth cleaning....etc - you get my point. Now, even while at dinner - in an expensive restaurant with your spouse....you can discreetly peek at how the meat on your MAK is doing, and turn the temp up, down - or off....all while "paying attention to your spouse - if holding your phone under the table just out of sight.... ;) ;D 8)
For me - the bottom line is QUALITY. Buy the best, and cry once. You'll never regret that decision.
Hope this helps...
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »
When I bought mine several years ago, I had inputs (on another forum) that suggested that I start at the lower end of the pellet cookers and "trade" my way up.  After looking at the math, I decided to skip all those intermediate steps and get my 2 Star.  Glad I did.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
Heres my 2 cents worth,

IF yiou have the money or can save up GET THE MAK!    I own a RecTec RT680 and love it, been a great grill BUT as they say cry once for the $$$$ and never buy again

When I bought my RecTec, MAK was still off the radar because of cost and I didn't know enough about them but now I wished I had saved a few more months and gotten a MAK

At some [point in the next few years I'll have to get another grill, not because the RecTec is worn out but I can pass it to my son and get the last grill I'll ever need MAK!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Lantern

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »
Well, I guess I'll add yet another NC recommendation....

I have not been as happy with a grill as I am my 1 star with flame zone. The attention to detail is evident when you see that not only is it American made DOWN TO THE NUTS AND BOLTS, but they provide bondhus drivers for said nuts and bolts and they also are American made.

Don't discount the controller as a reason to go MAK. The amount of smoke the thing puts out is significantly more than the competition IMO.

I'll add that Big Poppa Smokers has a layaway plan to help ease the blow of the initial sticker punch.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
Lemonhead78 -

Back when I decided I wanted to get a pellet smoker, having had years and years of charcoal and gasser BBQing an grilling using Weber products (I still own and use my Summit E450), I thought to get a sub-$1000 smoker.  I saw all the hype about Traeger and of course got the sales rush at Costco when they started pushing their version of a Traeger.  I read others who advised, "buy once, cry once versus buy twice, cry twice", but thought I needed to learn more before spending money on a MAK or a Memphis.  So I bought the Camp Chef DLX several years ago.  It is a decent pellet pooper, and has some neat features like the ash clean-out and pellet dump that others in that class do not, and I learned a lot about smoking (temps, pellets types, rubs, sauces, etc), but struggled with the quality.  Things like wind, and vent cap openings, and controller fluctuations, lack of searing, etc.

Bottom line - I bought a MAK 2 Star last Memorial Day and could not be happier - and wishing I done it the first time.  As others note, QUALITY is evident throughout.  The 304 stainless, the size, the ceramic ignitor, the pellet Boss controller, the ash and grease cleanouts, the Flame Zone that goes from great smoke levels to very hot searing and, did I mention, the QUALITY!  I like to call it The Beast because the build quality is second to none. 

Of course, the best advice is go with your gut - if you really want the MAK, but want to get something now, there are plenty of less costly products out there that will do a decent job.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
I have had my 2 Star for a few years.  It works as advertised and as well as everybody says.  I have absolutely no regrets about buying it.  And the customer service is second to none.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Pappymn

Mak convincing
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Without writing a tome on the subject....which I am prone to do..... ;D And - please bear in mind I am a paying customer - and NOT a spokesman for MAK. I am writing this based on many conversations with them, and my experience. My statements herein  are NOT "official"....tho I would challenge you to contact MAK - and and other MAK owners, and see that I am not telling you anything un-true. ;) ;D

MAK is a company that makes all of it's products based on the philosophy of "non-obosolence". SO - not only do they use aluminized steel in their base model MAK 1 Star....but when yo go to the 2 Star - the entire body of it is a grade of stainless  that WILL NOT rust. I know - "stainless steel"...in our minds, it is not supposed to rust - but I will promise you that many of the grills made today are NOT made of a high quality stainless that will not rust. It will need to be willed to your kids.
As well - there is an un-advertised "up-grade path" available. I have the 26th MAK 2 Star ever sold. It has been upgraded to the 2015 model features. And - I could probably take it to current for 2018...but I am up-grading  another MAK 2Star att his time... ;D
Next - you may or may not place an importance on this...but MAK does not even buy fasteners made in China. They are solid on the belief of using every part possible made in the USA. ( the "computer" fans that are used are not made in the USA...NONE are. But the MAK's - is not a Chinese fan.... ;))
I will not even attempt to get into all of the accessories that MAK makes. It is a list all it's own....you can do everything with a MAK 2 Star- from cold smoke - to hot smoke - to GRILL......
Service/support. NONE BETTER exists in this industry. Opinion? Absolutely!!!! What is it based on? I have owned or cooked on a half-dozen different brands. Had occasion to need something on all of them, whether that was information, or materials.
The MAK controller is one that many manufacturers have tried to imitate - and are still trying to play catch up....MAK has the unusual ability to design their own controllers and manufacture their own grill boxes in house because the parent company Makes Metals - is one of the largest providers of the the equipment that we all ignore when driving thru a traffic light controlled intersection. Next time you do so, look for a brushed stainless "box" off of one of the corners of the intersection. I may be the size of a phone booth. ( Geez...you have to be "of a certain age" to remember those....? :D :D :D) Stuffed inside are potentially thousands of wires, printed circuit boards and what appears to be an impossible to figure out maze....THIS experience is what gives the MAK team the ability to make a controller that will hold temps tighter than a commercial quality oven....And - right not he face of the controller are 3 ports for probes, to measure up to 3 different internal temps. of items being cooked. As well - MAK invented the WiFi controlled pellet grill - long before other companies. So anywhere in the world that you have internet connectivity - you can control your MAK! Sound frivolous??? Think back on the number of times that you had JUST put the brisket, or boston butt on the cooker....and someone called - and they need this or that. Or you forget and have scheduled your teeth cleaning....etc - you get my point. Now, even while at dinner - in an expensive restaurant with your spouse....you can discreetly peek at how the meat on your MAK is doing, and turn the temp up, down - or off....all while "paying attention to your spouse - if holding your phone under the table just out of sight.... ;) ;D 8)
For me - the bottom line is QUALITY. Buy the best, and cry once. You'll never regret that decision.
Hope this helps...
T
I for one am thankful you showed restraint and didn't write a tome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
I'm not ignoring anyone. I see some lengthy answers.   just too busy at work at the moment
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:24:36 AM by Lemonhead78 »
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 10:25:17 AM »
Pappy-"I for one am thankful you showed restraint and didn't write a tome"

Errr...who do you think the ghost writer for War and Peace was....? ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
Well, I guess I'll add yet another NC recommendation....

I have not been as happy with a grill as I am my 1 star with flame zone. The attention to detail is evident when you see that not only is it American made DOWN TO THE NUTS AND BOLTS, but they provide bondhus drivers for said nuts and bolts and they also are American made.

Don't discount the controller as a reason to go MAK. The amount of smoke the thing puts out is significantly more than the competition IMO.

I'll add that Big Poppa Smokers has a layaway plan to help ease the blow of the initial sticker punch.

To add to this, Big Poppa Smokers also uses PayPal and on large purchases with PayPal Credit, you can take up to 6 months to pay it off. That's what I did. And as Dave R said, don't miss a payment or the deadline.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 10:55:16 AM »
Well, you already know how I feel about MAK... I know that I am repeating myself (lol), but last year I had to consolidate my cookers due to a move (smaller backyard).  After selling pretty much my entire cooking arsenal (wood, charcoal and pellet) I found myself with a pocket full of cash and the rare opportunity to pretty much buy ANY cooker I wanted.  I bought a MAK 2 Star.  ZERO regret! :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
Do you get what you pay for in pellet grills ?

In my opinion, absolutely 100% yes!   And it's not just a bunch of hype.  I have two pellet grills and have cooked on a good handful of others.   Put the money you would spend on the CampChef towards the MAK and you'll have it that much sooner!

As far as does the MAK get as hot for searing:  re-read the MAK FlameZone review I did. The MAK gets PLENTY hot enough for grilling/searing.  In that review the MAK was hot enough that I could only flip a few of the pieces of the tandoori chicken at a time before having to pull my hands back.   I could not believe the heat coming off that grill!

My wife has since gotten me a nice set of long leather gloves to don when grilling.  I don't enjoy the pain or smell of burnt knuckle hair!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68