Author Topic: Grease leak  (Read 2449 times)

Offline rwalters

Grease leak
« Reply #-1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
Howdy fellow MAK owners! Bought my 2 Star, March of 2017. I absolutely love it! I realize that there is no such thing as “the perfect cooker”, but I am wondering about one of the few things that nag at me about this specific pellet cooker. I am pretty picky about keeping the exterior of a $3k+ purchase clean and tidy. Wondering how many of you experience grease leaking from the rear of your cooker, where the lid meets the base?  I always have a damp rag with me when I cook and simply wipe as it drips... but if there is an easy way to seal it up I would love to know how. Anyone experience this and have a solution. Thinking RTV may be tough to apply because of how much grease has worked it’s way into that small opening over the past 1.5 years of use.  Any recommendations? Just suck it up and deal with it, or ??
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
Re: Grease leak
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
I have had a similar "leak" at the rear, but it was coming out the vents.  This seems to happen when grilling with the FZ uncovered and cooking "fatty" foods like chicken thighs.  I've also noticed that the grease "splatters" also drip from the inside of the front door onto the little area between the hopper and the body of the smoker as well as on the other side with the warmer box.  Fortunately I use a heavy duty mat under the MAK, so really it is just wiping off the drips.

I'm not sure that I would seek to do any sealing versus just cleaning/wiping it off right after a cook that produces this.  Low and slow does not seem to create this problem and most of my cooks are indirect at 275 or below.  Of course, MAK could design some sort of baffle to deflect the grease splatter into the grease trough - that would be ideal!
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline rwalters

Grease leak
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
I have had a similar "leak" at the rear, but it was coming out the vents.  This seems to happen when grilling with the FZ uncovered and cooking "fatty" foods like chicken thighs.  I've also noticed that the grease "splatters" also drip from the inside of the front door onto the little area between the hopper and the body of the smoker as well as on the other side with the warmer box.  Fortunately I use a heavy duty mat under the MAK, so really it is just wiping off the drips.

I'm not sure that I would seek to do any sealing versus just cleaning/wiping it off right after a cook that produces this.  Low and slow does not seem to create this problem and most of my cooks are indirect at 275 or below.  Of course, MAK could design some sort of baffle to deflect the grease splatter into the grease trough - that would be ideal!
Yep, my experience mirrors yours. The only leak I would really like to resolve if possible is the one in the pic. The stainless is super easy to clean after a cook, especially with a good cleaner while the grill is still warm to the touch. This leak is definitely a first world problem... which are the worst ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »
When cooking fatty things such as pork shoulders, etc.  grease atomizes and goes EVERYWHERE!  It's just the nature of the beast.  If the grease works its way in between the lid and body, then it starts to wick it.  The only thing to do is a thorough cleaning and get as much of the grease out of those layers as possible.

After a thorough cleaning, I don't see why you couldn't seal the inside of the seam with some high temp sealer if you wanted.  I've used it in other grills/smokers without issue.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
Mine has not done that. I don't mind the "used greasy" look on my grills. Years ago all I did was clean em and clean em and finally realized I got other things to do.

Sure like Cliffs idea on the silicone...………………..
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »
Mine has not done that. I don't mind the "used greasy" look on my grills. Years ago all I did was clean em and clean em and finally realized I got other things to do.

Sure like Cliffs idea on the silicone...………………..
When cooking fatty things such as pork shoulders, etc.  grease atomizes and goes EVERYWHERE!  It's just the nature of the beast.  If the grease works its way in between the lid and body, then it starts to wick it.  The only thing to do is a thorough cleaning and get as much of the grease out of those layers as possible.

Cliff- I am sure you are correct... can't think of any other way to plug the leak than to thoroughly clean and apply a bead of RTV.  Perhaps I will have time to give it a try this weekend.

Smoke- I hear ya!  I used to be WAY pickier about keeping my cookers clean.  But an expensive 304 SS cooking chamber... man, I am all about keeping that nice and clean.  It only takes a few minutes after each cook to give it a complete wipe down :)

After a thorough cleaning, I don't see why you couldn't seal the inside of the seam with some high temp sealer if you wanted.  I've used it in other grills/smokers without issue.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline rwalters

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
I like Cliffs idea. Take it apart,clean it and apply this stuff when you reassemble. squeeze it together and you should have a good seal.
A little time and $8 bucks....
https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Hearth-Sealant-Silicone-Adhesive/dp/B07CJQHX73/ref=asc_df_B07CJQHX73/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241941221516&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7849062494501606593&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012934&hvtargid=pla-448747996931&psc=1
The only problem as I see it with the MAK is that we are dealing with SS rivets.  I do not want to break and replace the rivets.  For me, it would be more of "clean and try to insert as much as you can into the slit." lol!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
I like Cliffs idea. Take it apart,clean it and apply this stuff when you reassemble. squeeze it together and you should have a good seal.
https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Hearth-Sealant-Silicone-Adhesive/dp/B07CJQHX73/ref=asc_df_B07CJQHX73/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241941221516&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7849062494501606593&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012934&hvtargid=pla-448747996931&psc=1
The only problem as I see it with the MAK is that we are dealing with SS rivets.  I do not want to break and replace the rivets.  For me, it would be more of "clean and try to insert as much as you can into the slit." lol!
  I agree. I could not tell in the picture it was rivets  ... 

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »

I got to thinking about this (too much time on my hands! :-).  I wondered why I do not see the same issue with my Weber Summit gasser.  I have certainly have grilled many a fatty food on it over the last 10 years and it has never had this kind of issue.  Design wise, it does not have a vertical seam on the sides or rear of the cooking chamber.  It also does not have rear vents, which on the MAK I imagine are integral to the smoke flow the MAK needs by its design.  The Weber does have two large openings on either side for the rotisserie.

The hood/door is similar to the MAK, that is it opens over/around the rear, fixed section of the cooking chamber.  However, the sides of the fixed section are higher and extend much closer to the front.

Nothing profound here, but I do think MAK might consider a design change for the future that includes some sort of grease splash guard for the vertical seams and vents.  Obviously it will not eliminate splatter, but could significantly reduce the leaks from these unexpected places.  Just my 2 cents.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »
What does the inside of the seam look like?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »

I did this on old #48...IT WORKS....And, If you clean up the seam immediately after you set the hood, it is invisible.

I got to thinking about this (too much time on my hands! :-).  I wondered why I do not see the same issue with my Weber Summit gasser.  I have certainly have grilled many a fatty food on it over the last 10 years and it has never had this kind of issue.  Design wise, it does not have a vertical seam on the sides or rear of the cooking chamber.  It also does not have rear vents, which on the MAK I imagine are integral to the smoke flow the MAK needs by its design.  The Weber does have two large openings on either side for the rotisserie.

The hood/door is similar to the MAK, that is it opens over/around the rear, fixed section of the cooking chamber.  However, the sides of the fixed section are higher and extend much closer to the front.

Nothing profound here, but I do think MAK might consider a design change for the future that includes some sort of grease splash guard for the vertical seams and vents.  Obviously it will not eliminate splatter, but could significantly reduce the leaks from these unexpected places.  Just my 2 cents.

Don't you mean horizontal seams? That is the one that runs around the pit parallel to the deck - connecting the hood to the belly.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
Oops!  Yup, I did mean horizontal.   :P
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline rwalters

Grease leak
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »

I did this on old #48...IT WORKS....And, If you clean up the seam immediately after you set the hood, it is invisible.

Don't you mean horizontal seams? That is the one that runs around the pit parallel to the deck - connecting the hood to the belly.
Hey Tee- Are you saying that you tore out the rivets on #48, completely removing the hood from the base before applying a sealant?  If yes, sounds like an absolute pain for someone that can hardly swing a hammer and turn a screw driver...lol.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
I did....

And the truth is - it was one of the easiest things you can do. You need a drill, and the right size drill bit. One that is the size of the hole in the MAK sheet metal - not as big as the rivet. Get several high quality drill bits of the right size - because you may break one or 2 in the process, or they make get dull because of the stainless....
Then replace them with small stainless screws, lock washers and nuts.

Not intimidating at all. Just place the grill up against a wall or something so that when you drill out the last rivet - the lid does not slip off and fall on the deck. You cam make it a little easier by removing the hood itself - there is a screw and stainless spacer on either side of the hood. They make up the hinge.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401