Author Topic: Grease leak  (Read 2450 times)

Offline rwalters

Grease leak
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 10:49:57 PM »
I did....

And the truth is - it was one of the easiest things you can do. You need a drill, and the right size drill bit. One that is the size of the hole in the MAK sheet metal - not as big as the rivet. Get several high quality drill bits of the right size - because you may break one or 2 in the process, or they make get dull because of the stainless....
Then replace them with small stainless screws, lock washers and nuts.

Not intimidating at all. Just place the grill up against a wall or something so that when you drill out the last rivet - the lid does not slip off and fall on the deck. You cam make it a little easier by removing the hood itself - there is a screw and stainless spacer on either side of the hood. They make up the hinge.
Hmmmm, that doesn’t sound bad at all :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Grease leak
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 10:59:32 PM »
I did....

And the truth is - it was one of the easiest things you can do. You need a drill, and the right size drill bit. One that is the size of the hole in the MAK sheet metal - not as big as the rivet. Get several high quality drill bits of the right size - because you may break one or 2 in the process, or they make get dull because of the stainless....

Not intimidating at all. Just place the grill up against a wall or something so that when you drill out the last rivet - the lid does not slip off and fall on the deck. You cam make it a little easier by removing the hood itself - there is a screw and stainless spacer on either side of the hood. They make up the hinge.

If you going to tear your grill apart  I can come over and help ya.  I'm pretty good with a drill.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

Grease leak
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
I did....

If you going to tear your grill apart  I can come over and help ya.  I'm pretty good with a drill.
Appreciate the offer Gus! I may just take you up on it :)

I actually spoke with Matt from MAK the other day just to get his feedback. He said he would see if there is something that he (MAK) can offer that would resolve the issue. Thinking I may wait to hear what he comes back with before tearing into my MAK, which to be honest, I’m not really to excited about. Stay tuned... ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline rwalters

Grease leak
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
Wanting to give closure to this thread, I thought I’d give an update. After tolerating the grease leak for quite some time, I did reach out to MAK for help. After going back and forth a few times, it was decided that MAK would manufacture a new lid (back half) for me. The new lid has welded seams in the back corners and the lid was made for me to screw down vs the rivets that MAK currently uses. Made the changeover a couple of weeks ago, and not a drop has leaked since. Oh yeah, I also laid a bead of high temp RTV sealant before placing the lid on the grill.

Bottom line MAK came through, solved the issue and continues to have one VERY satisfied owner :)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Grease leak
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
Good for you Robb.  One again Mak shows great customer service.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66