Author Topic: Firepot filled with unburned pellet  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Harriska2

Firepot filled with unburned pellet
« Reply #-1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
I’ll be calling MAK tomorrow but I’m curious as to what might be the issue.  I have an 11 month old MAK 2. I cleaned the firepot and temp sensor the other day and made pizza at 400. Today, I didn’t clean either and noted the temp sensor was clean. I put chicken on at 350 and it got up to temp. About 20 minutes later I checked the chicken and saw it was 200.  We turned it completely off and took it apart to find the firepot full of unburned pellets. We vacuumed out and restarted. It is getting to temp very slow, taking 15 min to get to 250.  Any ideas why this might have happened? I made sure none of the vents are blocked, the grill was cleaned well a month ago, the metal grease thing under the grates is correctly placed, and I’ve never had this type of problem.

Offline rwalters

Firepot filled with unburned pellet
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:18:11 AM »
Not sure this is the answer to your question... but I was having similar issues. About 4 months ago I started emptying the fire pot after every cook. Haven’t had one issue since.  With the removable fire pot, I have found the extra step to be pretty painless, even when performing it every time.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Harriska2

Re: Firepot filled with unburned pellet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
It has been wet with high humidity. We also used up the rest of bear mt alder, which doesn’t seem to burn as hot. After cleaning, it got up to 350, then we ran it for another hour at 375, cooked just fine.  I’m wondering why the programming isn’t able to detect a problem with temp going down that far (350 down to 200) after hitting the set point.  It seems plc or whatever programming could put out a beep or something.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »
It has been wet with high humidity. We also used up the rest of bear mt alder, which doesn’t seem to burn as hot. After cleaning, it got up to 350, then we ran it for another hour at 375, cooked just fine.  I’m wondering why the programming isn’t able to detect a problem with temp going down that far (350 down to 200) after hitting the set point.  It seems plc or whatever programming could put out a beep or something.

Alder does not burn as "clean" as oak and it's relative hickory....and will result in faster ash/partially burn pellet build up in your firepot. I am anxious to hear what you find out from MAK.

Just a personal observation  - when I quit using alder - and...began to increase temps during a cook....rather than go up - then down with them...I have not had a problem since.  I typically cold smoke if more smoke is desired...THEN raise the temp. This will give you better smoke deposition on the meat, as cooler, more moist meat will allow the smoke to cling to it - whereas once the meat gets hot, and the surface is drier...smoke cannot stick to it as easily.
Don't know if that helps any...but - I do hope you will share your findings with us.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »
It wasn’t in cool down but in the middle of a cook.  That said we feel very confident the Bear Mt Alder pellets were either somehow defective or used inappropriately for a high temp cook (350?) and couldn’t keep up.  Back to Bear Mt Hickory and not a problem with either higher temp (325-400) or my smoke to 250 10 hour pulled pork.

Offline Oregon Tractor Jack

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
Late reply to this post.  I had the same thing happen to me with my 2 Star about 3 months ago.  Since I have been using it (1year+) I have found that I could do several cooks with out cleaning the pot.  Well, one day I was trying some new Lumber Jack pellets on a rack of ribs and the temperature went down and I found the pot filled with pellets.  I had been running at a high temp and had dropped it down some.  First time it ever happened.  Called MAK and was told the new pellets could be the problem.  I find that hard to believe.  Anyway I have started either cleaning the pot after each cook or at the very least inspecting it before I start.  Haven't had that issue since.

OTJ
MAK 2 Star
Weber Kettle
Modified Char Griller barrel smoker
Masterbuilt electric smoker
Weber Gas grill
Little Smokey
Charcoal bullet smoker

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
I have had a couple of full fire pots and have attributed it to a "too rapid decrease" in temperature after a high temp. cook. I think the Pellet Boss senses the difference of the new temp. and shuts down the flow of pellets, resulting in a flame-out. Then when it it calls for heat and starts to feed pellets the  fire's out and the fire pot gets filled. My easy solution...it'll handle a 150F drop without a flame-out, so I drop the temps in increments sped up by an open lid to aid in cool down. Haven't had an issue since.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 09:33:27 PM »
Not sure this is the answer to your question... but I was having similar issues. About 4 months ago I started emptying the fire pot after every cook. Haven’t had one issue since.  With the removable fire pot, I have found the extra step to be pretty painless, even when performing it every time.

Great minds think alike........cleaning the firepot after every cook is a great way to cut down potential problems.

Alder does not burn as hot as other woods. Stay away from alder based pellets will be a big help with temp climbing issues during start up.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
I only bought one bag of alder to try it out.  Not doing that again. Back to tried and true hickory.  For the record I didn’t drop the temp at all.  Never had a flame out but that is what it sounds like it did.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
I only bought one bag of alder to try it out.  Not doing that again. Back to tried and true hickory.  For the record I didn’t drop the temp at all.  Never had a flame out but that is what it sounds like it did.

Don't discount the Alder if your going to smoke salmon. It's the west coast salmon smoking wood. Just be mindful of it's characteristics in your fire pot.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »

Don't discount the Alder if your going to smoke salmon. It's the west coast salmon smoking wood. Just be mindful of it's characteristics in your fire pot.

Great call on the alder. I also like alder in my pellet pooper when doing chicken as well.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 09:55:13 PM »

Great call on the alder. I also like alder in my pellet pooper when doing chicken as well.

Good call on the chicken, smoke. I concur.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 05:53:59 AM »
Kind of curious if MAK has you back on track??????
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
I didn’t bother calling them.  Haven’t had a problem before or after that 1 bag of alder. Plus I clean before each cook.

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 08:52:27 PM »
Late reply to this post.  I had the same thing happen to me with my 2 Star about 3 months ago.  Since I have been using it (1year+) I have found that I could do several cooks with out cleaning the pot.  Well, one day I was trying some new Lumber Jack pellets on a rack of ribs and the temperature went down and I found the pot filled with pellets.  I had been running at a high temp and had dropped it down some.  First time it ever happened.  Called MAK and was told the new pellets could be the problem.  I find that hard to believe.  Anyway I have started either cleaning the pot after each cook or at the very least inspecting it before I start.  Haven't had that issue since.

OTJ

I use only lumberjack pure pellets. As in 100% apple or cherry. There is more ash but I clean and empty the fire pot every cook. Haven't had a problem. So not the pellets.
MAK 2 Star General #3579