Author Topic: Can a MAK sear?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline rwalters

Can a MAK sear?
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »
I  am stumped. Something just doesn’t sound right. Any chance the pellets you are using have been exposed to moisture? That would mess things up. I fired up my MAK for bacon this morning. Set the Pellet Boss to 250° and set a stopwatch. 12:10 to hit set point. Another 10-12 mins I know I would’ve been at 450° if thats what I wanted.

No moisture - I keep my pellets in large plastic painters tubs with tight lids, and then stored in a cabinet in my garage.  I have about 10 lbs of pure, 100% oak I'll use this next week and watch the time carefully to measure when it gets to 450.  Hopefully just a fluke of the pellet mix I used last time.
Keep us posted... super curious!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Can a MAK sear?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
I used CookinPellets' wine barrel oak that had maybe 25% alder in it (a camp chef bag I'm trying to use up).  No, I did not prime the firepot, but really ignition with the MAK is pretty quick from "scratch".  Yes, I have the newest FZ and I use MAK's grill grates.

I'll try some 100% Oak I have next time.  I thought it might be the pellets, so I guess I need to try that before calling the MAK gang about it.

I can tell you from experience that wine-soaked oak is not great for grilling, and neither is alder.  If you want high heat/lowest ash then definitely try either 100% oak, or, if you can get them, try the Lumber Jack "Charblend Hickory", which is a charcoal-blended pellet and allows for super hot temps!

Leave the lid closed, and make certain your vents are all clear.  If your vents are even slightly blocked, then airflow will be restricted and your MAK will struggle to get up to higher temps.

Also, as I mentioned in the MAK FlameZone review, when using the FlameZone in Grill mode (with the FlameZone covers removed) what the PelletBoss is telling you is NOT the actual grate temperature.  The actual grate temp (with the FlameZone Covers removed) will be considerably hotter.  Open the lid for just a minute and the PelletBoss temp drops quickly, but the grate temp stays pretty hot!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 02:21:58 PM »
An update on this:  I had thoroughly cleaned the MAK on the weekend, top to bottom.  Today, I took the FZ covers off, loaded up with 100% oak pellets and timed how long it took the PB to register 450.  Started the MAK at 10:15 AM exactly - I did not "prime" the firepot.  Outside temp about 68*, light wind.  It took 31 minutes until the PB beeped that it had hit 450.  So, 30 minutes from scratch to get to 450.  I would chalk my first attempt up to lower BTU pellets - 100% oak did the trick.  Since we're not hickory fans, looks like pure, 100% oak is our "go to" for grilling.

Thanks all.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline rwalters

Can a MAK sear?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
An update on this:  I had thoroughly cleaned the MAK on the weekend, top to bottom.  Today, I took the FZ covers off, loaded up with 100% oak pellets and timed how long it took the PB to register 450.  Started the MAK at 10:15 AM exactly - I did not "prime" the firepot.  Outside temp about 68*, light wind.  It took 31 minutes until the PB beeped that it had hit 450.  So, 30 minutes from scratch to get to 450.  I would chalk my first attempt up to lower BTU pellets - 100% oak did the trick.  Since we're not hickory fans, looks like pure, 100% oak is our "go to" for grilling.

Thanks all.
That’s great news! Bet ya $1 that if you were to toss a large handful of those oak pellets in the empty fire pot you’d hit 450° in < 30 mins ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »
rwalters:
"That’s great news! Bet ya $1 that if you were to toss a large handful of those oak pellets in the empty fire pot you’d hit 450° in < 30 mins ;) "

Can I try it and then bet??   :P   Actually, I imagine it is a bit easier for you since you always use the same pellets.  I swap them out when I clean after a cook as I'm never sure what kind I'll be using for the next one.  I've tried the Perfect Mix, but not a hickory fan and I like the color/flavor of cherry and apple.  Not big deal to let it prime now that I know the behavior.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 03:33:55 PM »
One more question on grilling with the MAK:  have any of you tried grilling with the diffuser plate removed as well as the FZ covers?   I think that is basically what a Memphis is like with its grill flavorizer plate installed.  Just wondered if any of you MAK folks had tried that idea and what the results were.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline rwalters

Can a MAK sear?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
One more question on grilling with the MAK:  have any of you tried grilling with the diffuser plate removed as well as the FZ covers?   I think that is basically what a Memphis is like with its grill flavorizer plate installed.  Just wondered if any of you MAK folks had tried that idea and what the results were.
I believe this question has been asked before. Not 100% certain, but I believe it was said that the Flame Zone setup would sustain damage/warp without the fire-pot diffuser in place. I’d check with MAK before trying something like that. Personally, I have zero interest in that idea as I MUCH prefer the evenness of grilling temps that the MAK produces vs one insanely hot spot in the middle. If I want that, I can light up a chimney of lump charcoal and sear the heck out of a piece of meat with no fear of damaging something :)

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
I believe this question has been asked before. Not 100% certain, but I believe it was said that the Flame Zone setup would sustain damage/warp without the fire-pot diffuser in place. I’d check with MAK before trying something like that. Personally, I have zero interest in that idea as I MUCH prefer the evenness of grilling temps that the MAK produces vs one insanely hot spot in the middle. If I want that, I can light up a chimney of lump charcoal and sear the heck out of a piece of meat with no fear of damaging something :)

Heh-heh!! Well I’m  not gonna try it.  Just thought some crazy chef out there might have.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline rwalters

Can a MAK sear?
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »

Heh-heh!! Well I’m  not gonna try it.  Just thought some crazy chef out there might have.
Awww, c’mon... how will we ever know?!?! Lol!!!