Author Topic: Newb question  (Read 581 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Newb question
« Reply #-1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:26:44 PM »
I love keeping a grill nice and clean. I read that some people foil and some don’t. Is it a pain in the butt trying to foil ? And what I was thinking can I put a foil pan underneath the bottom rack to catch drippings ? I don’t have an upper shelf yet so that configuration is out of the question. I’m thinking the foil pan is probably a no go because it will mess up the air flow. Will I be able to keep a pellet grill clean or is it too hard ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

Newb question
« on: December 17, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »
Depends on your definition of clean. Personally, I lay a sheet of foil down -or- a drip pan as often as possible. Probably about 60% of my cooks.  I never foil when I grill (using the Flame Zone setup) though. I have come to the point that I don’t really stress over the inside. I keep it tidy, but more often than not, there’s evidence that it’s cooked in. What’s funny is that I am much more picky about keeping the exterior squeaky clean. I love a nice shiny SS MAK sitting on my back patio :)

**edit: I didn’t mention that I have two stiff metal scrapers (paint section at Home Depot). One wide and one narrow. They work wonders when it comes time to scrape the crusties away. Prior to scraping, I always make sure that the MAK has run at 375°+ for a bit to harden the gunk up. Makes for easy scraping.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:24:00 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline FinsnFeathers

Re: Newb question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:06:09 PM »
I love keeping a grill nice and clean. I read that some people foil and some don’t. Is it a pain in the butt trying to foil ? And what I was thinking can I put a foil pan underneath the bottom rack to catch drippings ? I don’t have an upper shelf yet so that configuration is out of the question. I’m thinking the foil pan is probably a no go because it will mess up the air flow. Will I be able to keep a pellet grill clean or is it too hard ?

I foil. Make sure all openings on the flamezone sides aren't covered. All four of them. I just smoking no need to poke holes in the foil. It is not a pain and pretty quick. Sure makes clean up easier.

Use a small tinfoil pan in the grease drawer.

I even foil the flamezone covers. Many here do not so it is a personal choice.
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »
I’m a little retarded. So can I put a foil pan underneath the grate or would that impede heat and smoke flow. I see that people foil but what about a pan
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

Newb question
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
I’m a little retarded. So can I put a foil pan underneath the grate or would that impede heat and smoke flow. I see that people foil but what about a pan
Not underneath the main grate. Buy an upper grate and absolutely!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Pappymn

Newb question
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 10:52:09 PM »
Not trying to break the bank but the upper shelf is a must.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »
Not trying to break the bank but the upper shelf is a must.

I agree and if doing it again I would have gotten two 1/2 grates instead of just the one. I plan to order another 1/2 grate after the holiday season. It's gotten just a wee bit spendy this year. LOL
MAK #3591

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »
I never foil. When going lo and slo I cook on the upper grate with a foil pan on the main grate.  Got that tip from Tee.

For high heat grilling, I do not foil. Clean up is easy. That flamezone gets hot and there aint much left to scrape off.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline akjeff

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 01:40:12 AM »
I don't use foil either. Crank it up on Grill every now and then, and it just scrapes/brushes away.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM