Author Topic: Ten Below Brisket  (Read 2042 times)

Offline akjeff

Ten Below Brisket
« Reply #-1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
Our local grocery store had fresh Meyer Angus USDA Prime packers for 4.39/lb, so I grabbed one for the weekend. After grilling pork chops for dinner last night, I set the 2 Star up for this mornings cook; covered the flame zone, and loaded the hopper with Lumberjack 100% Oak. I knew it was going to be chilly this morning, but didn't expect the refreshing -10F, when I went out on the porch to turn on the MAK! I was only 15 minutes into trimming/seasoning( 50/50 S&P ) the meat, when the Remote Boss beeped, to let me know the MAK was at SMOKE, and ready!

I'll follow up this evening, and let you know how it turns out.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Lines

Re: Ten Below Brisket
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »
Please share the results of your cook, but please, please keep the -10° temps there. :)

Offline Pappymn

Ten Below Brisket
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 11:07:25 AM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hd002

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:43:58 AM »
Very curious to hear about amount of smoke , how many lbs of pellets used or any issues.

Offline akjeff

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
Very curious to hear about amount of smoke , how many lbs of pellets used or any issues.

Yep, I'll keep you posted. I started out by adding a new 20# bag to an empty hopper, to see roughly what the pellet consumption is. It's making plenty of smoke. I like to leave it on SMOKE for the first four hours, as that's when it will take on the most smokey flavor. After that, I'll kick it up to 275, wrap it when it hits 165 internal, and then take it out at 200-205.

Temp is still dropping; down to -11F now. Pretty common to get a bit a dip before sunrise, and then it will start warming up. The forecasted high for the day, is -3F at 2:00-3:00PM. A great day to cold weather test the MAK!
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

Ten Below Brisket
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
Tuned in for this cook...BUT what’s up with your MAK? -10° and 15 mins to hit set temp?!?! Sheesh, what a slouch ;-)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

Ten Below Brisket
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »

Yep, I'll keep you posted. I started out by adding a new 20# bag to an empty hopper, to see roughly what the pellet consumption is. It's making plenty of smoke. I like to leave it on SMOKE for the first four hours, as that's when it will take on the most smokey flavor. After that, I'll kick it up to 275, wrap it when it hits 165 internal, and then take it out at 200-205.

Temp is still dropping; down to -11F now. Pretty common to get a bit a dip before sunrise, and then it will start warming up. The forecasted high for the day, is -3F at 2:00-3:00PM. A great day to cold weather test the MAK!
Living in CA, I’ll never be able to try this. But I remember Bruce from MAK raving the fist time he was able to actually try cold smoked vanilla ice cream. He told me that he had a few customers that live in extremely cold climates that actually put a few scoops of vanilla ice cream on a sheet of foil and place it in the cold smoke box for a little while (maybe 30 mins?). He said he was surprised by how good it tasted. I would love to try that... but I know that I’d end up with vanilla soup...lol.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 12:39:19 PM »
I give ya a lot of credit.  It gets in the 30's here and I'm not happy.  -10.  Respect dude.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:30:46 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

Ten Below Brisket
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
I give ta a lot of credit.  It gets in the 30's here and I'm not happy.  -10.  Respect dude.
Someone needs to locate and put on their big girl panties... lol.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »
I give ta a lot of credit.  It gets in the 30's here and I'm not happy.  -10.  Respect dude.

I am wearing big girl panties.  Soft white ones.  Lol.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »
...It gets in the 30's here...
That's a temperature? Who knew?

...Someone needs to ... put on their big girl panties...
If it even drops to the high 60's I wear my BGPs over sweatpants and a hoodie. Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline akjeff

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 02:06:56 PM »
Update. Fours hours in, and it looks like it's going to bottom out at -12F, should start warming up a bit now. Doesn't look like it's devouring pellets as much as I thought it would. Meat probed at about 135-140 at this point. Just kicked it up to 250, and will let it run at that until it hits stall temp of 165 or so. At that point will get wrapped in pink paper, and back in at 275 until it's done. Running great so far.  :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

Ten Below Brisket
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »

I am wearing big girl panties.  Soft white ones.  Lol.
...It gets in the 30's here...
That's a temperature? Who knew?

...Someone needs to ... put on their big girl panties...
If it even drops to the high 60's I wear my BGPs over sweatpants and a hoodie. Jus' sayin'...
Not sure which of you two needs more help, or perhaps you two are undiscovered soulmates? LOL!

Offline rwalters

Ten Below Brisket
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
Update. Fours hours in, and it looks like it's going to bottom out at -12F, should start warming up a bit now. Doesn't look like it's devouring pellets as much as I thought it would. Meat probed at about 135-140 at this point. Just kicked it up to 250, and will let it run at that until it hits stall temp of 165 or so. At that point will get wrapped in pink paper, and back in at 275 until it's done. Running great so far.  :thumbup:
That’s coming along nicely!

Offline akjeff

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
Six hours into it, and it's warmed up to -10F outside. The brisket probed at 165-170, so, it's now wrapped in pink paper, and back in. Seems to be moving along fairly quickly, so I'm leaving it set to 250 cook temp. Gotta start keeping an eye on the pellet hopper, as I'd like to see if I can do the entire cook on the 20# bag, but don't want to let it run dry!
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM