Author Topic: Finally Broke Down...  (Read 12814 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Finally Broke Down...
« Reply #-1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »
...and entered the sous vide world.  I picked up a Chefman Sous Vide Immersion Circulator (with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth) that I was not in the market for but couldn't pass up. Saw it in the markdown bin at Kroger for $24.99, looked it up on Amazon, and was surprised that it was the current model priced $99.99. Box was factory sealed, but I am guessing this location isn't stocking it anymore (maybe in stock for Christmas only) and thus the 75% off discount. Negative comments all seem to be about getting the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth to work, but both connections worked perfectly for me and it pulled a firmware update as soon as I connected to the network. User error, defect that was fixed, or I just got lucky. Whatever is was, I'll take it. Had it up and running within an hour of getting it home and ran a couple of trial cooks that came out exactly as I expected. Temp according to the onscreen display was 1 degree off of my Thermapen. App display goes into decimals and only showed a .5 degree variance to the Thermapen. Even my wife was impressed that I picked it up for less than $25 and that it worked so well.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Roget

Re: Finally Broke Down...
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »
Sounds like you scored big time. :thumbup:
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:08:37 PM »
I enjoy cooking sous vide.  Steaks, pork chops, and chicken breasts come out perfect every time.  I just cooked some corn on the cob yesterday and they were awesome.  You will really enjoy it...especially at that price.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
Funny, corn on the cob is what I was wanting to test with (my youngest son loves elote en vaso and has braces so eating corn on the cob this way is the best for him) but SWMBO had none in the house.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 01:50:05 PM »
Congrats Billy! There is so much you can do with the Sous Vide. Lots of recipes available on the internet too.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »
Nice  sounds like you scored!!

I cook sous vide quite a bit with some great results.   Only done vegies a few times,  never tried corn...  hmmmm
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
I've ran it (mostly just testing) about 6 times up to two hours, and it is working great.  The app and connections are fine.  I am very happy with the purchase.

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
Great score.

I like to do sous vide on several things. I actually prefer chicken breast SV without and grilling, my wife, not so much. I also like to cheat. I will SV two chuck roast at 155 for 36 hours and freeze them. Pull one out during the week and dinner is ready. 
Love to cook and eat

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »
Great score.

I like to do sous vide on several things. I actually prefer chicken breast SV without and grilling, my wife, not so much. I also like to cheat. I will SV two chuck roast at 155 for 36 hours and freeze them. Pull one out during the week and dinner is ready.

Too coincidental, that has been one of my go-to tests and what my son and I had for lunch today.  I vacuum sealed 2 frozen boneless/skinless breasts in separate bags and cooked them at 145 for an hour and 15 minutes.  No seasoning until they were drained and patted dry, and then just course black pepper with course sea salt.  They turned out great like that (perfect texture and flavor), but we also drizzled some comp BBQ sauce on one to run a taste-test experiment.