Author Topic: Another seared strip steak !!!!  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Another seared strip steak !!!!
« Reply #-1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:35:17 PM »
I can’t get over the sear I’m getting off a mak. In my opinion it gives a more even / consistent crust than a charcoal. Dinner tonight was amazing. Oh and it’s the first time I didn’t use foil when cooking. Can any of you guys who don’t foil post some pics for me to see it. I think it will help me transition to not using foil lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Another seared strip steak !!!!
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »
Looks like a perfect meal to me.  You cooked  that steak perfectly.  Respect.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:04:01 PM »
Man oh man those steaks look good. Give us some detail... were those grilled hot n fast the entire cook, if yes at what temp? Were they reverse seared? How were they seasoned?

Any drippings that hit the Flame Zone pan during that steak cook should be super easy to scrape away.

Here’s a pic of my drip pan... does this help (it’s actually not to bad in this pic, and these were fatty burgers!)? It definitely gets gunked up when grilling, but it’s so easy to scrape every few cooks. To me it’s not much different than the Weber gas grills I’ve had in the past. Instead of a Flame Zone pan the Weber’s would get all gross down in the belly of the cooking chamber. Much like my MAK, I would do a quick scrape every so often on my gassers. It’s called seasoning AND seasoning adds flaaavuh :)

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 06:47:20 AM »
The steaks were seasoned with spg. I cooked at 450 with 1 flame zone cover removed. I used lumber jack 100 oak. I turned them twice. I don’t subscribe to the flip only once thing. They weren’t thick enough to warrant a reverse sear. Some of the best steaks I ever made. I notice in your pic with the burgers ... did you do a no flip recipe ? I see the flame zones are covered. I’m cooking burgers for 10 adults this weekend. I seen a no flip way to do it at 350 degrees. Is this a good plan or do you recommend something different?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:47:15 AM »
The steaks were seasoned with spg. I cooked at 450 with 1 flame zone cover removed. I used lumber jack 100 oak. I turned them twice. I don’t subscribe to the flip only once thing. They weren’t thick enough to warrant a reverse sear. Some of the best steaks I ever made. I notice in your pic with the burgers ... did you do a no flip recipe ? I see the flame zones are covered. I’m cooking burgers for 10 adults this weekend. I seen a no flip way to do it at 350 degrees. Is this a good plan or do you recommend something different?
These were pretty thick burgers. This cook was done awhile back and I believe these were done indirect at 375-400° and flipped once. The end result did not disappoint. Most of the time when I cook burgers on the MAK they are done direct at 425°. I have tried the no flip burgers, but I personally prefer a bit more crust/light char. So many ways to do it....experimenting is half the fun :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »
Nice steaks LH!