Author Topic: Prime Rib Christmas Dinner  (Read 13688 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Prime Rib Christmas Dinner
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 04:49:44 PM »
Ray, it looks like that turned out great!  It's making me hungry looking at it.

One clarification on the video (not a criticism):  There is NO such thing as  "a piece of prime rib from the chuck end."  The "Prime cut" comes from the belly end.  What he's referring to from the chuck end is called the "Second Cut Rib Roast".   So that's what you should ask/look for if you want more of those two muscles he talks about in your rib roast, instead of the bigger section of fat.  In other words, there's the "Prime Cut", and "Second Cut".

BOTH are great cuts, so it comes down to preference.  The second cut is always my preference of the two and usually costs a few dollars less to boot!  However, if you prefer the extra fat, then get the Prime cut.  If your butcher doesn't have them labeled, then ask which end the roast is from.  The bones are usually a little shorter on the second cut, and the pocket of fat towards the middle is smaller.
Thanks TentHunteR. When I asked for the chuck end is said you're looking for is the short end. I guess he was referring to the second cut.

Good deal!  Now you know what that butcher is calling it.  I've heard it referred to as the "short end" before, but not often.

After looking at yours, I'm thinking of possibly changing my New Year's Day plans...  ;)

P.S.  If you can get a section of strip loin (what NY Strips are cut from), try it cooked like a prime rib. They are EQUALLY succulent!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Re: Prime Rib Christmas Dinner
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 05:37:00 PM »
Ray, it looks like that turned out great!  It's making me hungry looking at it.

One clarification on the video (not a criticism):  There is NO such thing as  "a piece of prime rib from the chuck end."  The "Prime cut" comes from the belly end.  What he's referring to from the chuck end is called the "Second Cut Rib Roast".   So that's what you should ask/look for if you want more of those two muscles he talks about in your rib roast, instead of the bigger section of fat.  In other words, there's the "Prime Cut", and "Second Cut".

BOTH are great cuts, so it comes down to preference.  The second cut is always my preference of the two and usually costs a few dollars less to boot!  However, if you prefer the extra fat, then get the Prime cut.  If your butcher doesn't have them labeled, then ask which end the roast is from.  The bones are usually a little shorter on the second cut, and the pocket of fat towards the middle is smaller.
Thanks TentHunteR. When I asked for the chuck end is said you're looking for is the short end. I guess he was referring to the second cut.

Good deal!  Now you know what that butcher is calling it.  I've heard it referred to as the "short end" before, but not often.

After looking at yours, I'm thinking of possibly changing my New Year's Day plans...  ;)

P.S.  If you can get a section of strip loin (what NY Strips are cut from), try it cooked like a prime rib. They are EQUALLY succulent!
I did the strip loin roast this year and for a variety of reasons it was a fail. All my fault and lessons were learned. I will pay up for the real deal next time and leave the strip loin for awesome steaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109