Author Topic: Sous Vide Corned Beef  (Read 11363 times)

Offline KJRsmoker

Sous Vide Corned Beef
« Reply #-1 on: January 26, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
For the first time ever, I cooked a corned beef using my sous vide.  I bought the corned beef at Costco and decided to sous vide it after watching Guga cook one on his YouTube channel Sous Vide Everything.  He cooked his for 48 hours at 140F and then finished it with a blowtorch.  I didn't have 48 hours (or a blowtorch) so I cooked it at 150F so a little over 26 hours using my Joule.  I took it out, let it rest slightly, and then sliced it.  The corned beef turned out great...it was super juicy, tender, and very flavorful.  I will definitely be using this method next time I cook a corned beef.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Sous Vide Corned Beef
« on: January 26, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »
Glad it turned out good. It looks tasty. :)
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:00:56 PM »
Glad it turned out good. It looks tasty. :)
Sorry about not having pictures.
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 01:01:24 AM »
Now you need to up your game by corning your own brisket for both sous vide corned beef and pastrami. You'll never go back to the crap in the plastic bag with the little spice packet.

Both Serious Eats and Amazing Ribs have good info and recipes on making corned beef from scratch. You don't necessarily have to use brisket but I've tried other cuts and while they work okay they're just not quite the same - mostly a texture thing.

Ten hours in a 180oF sous vide bath has always worked for me.

I separate the deckle/point and usually cut the flat in half when raw. I find it's easier to cure and cook in manageable chunks plus I can use one or more pieces for pastrami.

As to pastrami, you can start with either raw brisket or already corned. I usually use corned (because I'm lazy) and prefer the point (that texture thing again) but those are personal choices. Once again, Amazing Ribs and Serious Eats both have pointers and recipes. DON'T FORGET to desalinate!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »
Now you need to up your game by corning your own brisket for both sous vide corned beef and pastrami. You'll never go back to the crap in the plastic bag with the little spice packet.

Both Serious Eats and Amazing Ribs have good info and recipes on making corned beef from scratch. You don't necessarily have to use brisket but I've tried other cuts and while they work okay they're just not quite the same - mostly a texture thing.

Ten hours in a 180oF sous vide bath has always worked for me.

I separate the deckle/point and usually cut the flat in half when raw. I find it's easier to cure and cook in manageable chunks plus I can use one or more pieces for pastrami.

As to pastrami, you can start with either raw brisket or already corned. I usually use corned (because I'm lazy) and prefer the point (that texture thing again) but those are personal choices. Once again, Amazing Ribs and Serious Eats both have pointers and recipes. DON'T FORGET to desalinate!

Thanks.  I'll have to check that out.  I've been wanting to make my own corned beef for awhile.
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
Good advice from the Turtle.  Check out Hub's EZ Pastrami recipe somewhere here in the forum.  I have made this several times and it is absolutely wonderful.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 11:31:47 AM »
For the first time ever, I cooked a corned beef using my sous vide.  I bought the corned beef at Costco and decided to sous vide it after watching Guga cook one on his YouTube channel Sous Vide Everything.  He cooked his for 48 hours at 140F and then finished it with a blowtorch.  I didn't have 48 hours (or a blowtorch) so I cooked it at 150F so a little over 26 hours using my Joule.  I took it out, let it rest slightly, and then sliced it.  The corned beef turned out great...it was super juicy, tender, and very flavorful.  I will definitely be using this method next time I cook a corned beef.

March 17th. LOL thanks I got to try this too
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill