Author Topic: One door closes and another opens...  (Read 11331 times)

Offline Ka Honu

One door closes and another opens...
« Reply #-1 on: May 03, 2020, 12:42:17 AM »
My old Bradley finally went out in a smoky blaze. After about 12-13 years, even regular cleaning apparently didn't remove all the flammables from all the nooks and crannies and it caught fire during a tri-tip, sausage, and pork extravaganza Friday morning. I'd already pulled everything but the pork and smelled the fire within a few minutes so I even got to save my butt (so to speak). The smoker, however, is history. I move it a good "social distance" from everything else when I'm using it so nothing else caught fire. It was a sad day but it wasn't a disaster.

As it happens, the oven on our kitchen range burned out a week or so ago and the new range was delivered today. Kinda like what we had but with a convection oven which I've never used before. Decided to try out the "convection roast" setting on stuffed pork chops (couscous, spinach, garlic, & pepper jack cheese) and Hasselback potatoes. Purely experimental so no real expectations. Turned out better than either of us expected - might not have been as elegantly plated but definitely fine steakhouse quality.

We're sold on the convection thing and SWMBO hopes it will distract me for a while before I replace a redundant deceased smoker with something I don't really need. We'll see what we see.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: One door closes and another opens...
« on: May 03, 2020, 06:18:13 AM »
Let me start with the good......that plate looks stellar to me!

The bad......more like sad I guess, that's a LONG time to have a cooker and it served you well. You definitely got your money's worth out of it.

More good......since you bought that Bradley, there have been a TON of new grills on the market. Maybe a pellet grill or one of those charcoal gravity jobs like Jack has might work for you.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: One door closes and another opens...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:17:31 AM »
Good plate! And...you re gonna love the speed at which convection can cook.Not microwave - but it is faster and it removes moisture faster too..someting to consider depending on what you are cooking. BTW - regardless of it's shape...Bradle's fly pretty well with a little assistance...... ;D
I was a t Lowe's yesterday - and saw the new(wish) Pellet Boss vertical smoker - that runs on pellets. I liked it a lot. Maybe too much....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401