Author Topic: So it’s not Monday and the beans ain’t red and it’s pressure-cooked…  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Turns out one of the grocery store casualties in my part of Hawaii is the availability of dried beans other than lentils, black-eyed peas, and 15-bean (soup) mix. I had a bunch of leftover stuff I wanted to put into red beans for a small gathering this weekend so I decided to buy the 15-bean mix and treat it like red beans to start, correcting later if it didn’t work.

Ingredients (photo below) included the beans, some leftover tasso, ribs, andouille, Conecuh sausage, plus trinity, Cajun seasoning, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, Krystal, bay leaves, and chicken stock.

Got out the Instant Pot, sautéed the sausage and then trinity & garlic, added the other stuff and pressure-cooked on High for 20 minutes.

Took out the bay leaves and the ribs, slid the rib meat off the bones, chopped it roughly, and returned to the pot.

Taste-tested a small portion on some (also leftover) rice and have to admit it came out better than expected. Not red beans, but good beans nonetheless. Even SWMBO liked them (after she ate “around” the sausage – Conecuh & andouille aren’t her faves).  Looking forward to an overnight “meld” and then serving with some chopped green onions and parsley garnish and a side of cornbread. Life is good.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
I like that! Looks like something even I can repeat.... ;D. Those bean mixes will...."keep the wind in your sails".....and maybe your shorts too.... :o ::) ;) :D. My best to the Mrs. She has the patience of a saint. 8)

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
"Mise en place."  There you go gettin' all Frenchified on us again!

The beans look great, even if it was a make do dish!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Mise en place is one of the first things every person learning to cook should learn first. It really does help.

Great looking chow Turtle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Ka Honu

You'd probably be amazed at the key steps and ingredients I forget in even simple cooks without mise en place. Then again, you might not.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Mise en place is one of the first things every person learning to cook should learn first. It really does help.

You'd probably be amazed at the key steps and ingredients I forget in even simple cooks without mise en place. Then again, you might not.

Oh you better believe I practice Mis en Place, especially with sausage making!  I just had to knock on the Turtle's shell a bit to be sure he was awake in there!  ;D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana

I'e made those multi bean soups before. At first some here were skeptical about them but after tasting they loved them.
Nicely done!!!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Smokin Soon

Looks great to me! Multi Beans seem to pick up more flavor from leftover smoked meat than the Red. The "Wind in the Sails" is a bonus depending on who you ask........
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
Looks great to me! Multi Beans seem to pick up more flavor from leftover smoked meat than the Red. The "Wind in the Sails" is a bonus depending on who you ask........

The Mrs. Turtle has a theme song for Ka Honu...."You are the wind beneath my sheets"..... ??? :o 8) ;D ;D ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America

The Mrs. Turtle has a theme song for Ka Honu...."You are the wind beneath my sheets"..... ??? :o 8) ;D ;D ;D
A lil pot calling the kettle black?  JUST ASKING (W), I like the bean mix and sausages..can't get Conecah sausage tho..will have to fake it...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Lines

Tried Conecuh sausage (hickory smoked) for the first time this week. Very good.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices

A lil pot calling the kettle black?  JUST ASKING (W), I like the bean mix and sausages..can't get Conecah sausage tho..will have to fake it...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
Tried Conecuh sausage (hickory smoked) for the first time this week. Very good.

I am hooked on Conecuh. Nothing else like it.....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

I bring home a suitcase full of andouille, Conecuh sausage, Creole mustard, and Crystal hot sauce on my annual pilgrimage to NOLA and Savannah. COVID restrictions canceled the trip this year but I still have some of everything left. I'll be Jonesing in a couple months though.