Author Topic: Cooking Turkey  (Read 5597 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Cooking Turkey
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2022, 08:19:56 AM »
Everyone is probably getting ready for Thanksgiving, and I will do the usual turkeys.  Over the years, I have cooked them using almost everything including Big Easy, Pellet Grill, Smoker, Offset, Grill, Propane Deep Fryer, and Kitchen Oven.  I have been using the Propane Deep Fryer for many years now, because everyone likes fried turkey.  The other methods were successful to different degress, and everyone usually has a favorite.  I recently have been looking at the Masterbuilt 10.6 qt Electric Deep Fryer and wondered if anyone has used one and what they think about it?  It looks less messy and I like the oil drain, but I see mixed reviews on it.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Cooking Turkey
« on: November 23, 2022, 04:39:28 PM »
  I'm going to do a turkey on the 980 tomorrow morning.  I always used my crawfish pot for turkeys if frying or boiling.  Since I tend to be on the messy side I get in less trouble if I keep it outside!
Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 04:57:02 PM »
Good luck with yours.  One other reason that I thought about the electric fryer is less chance for fire.  I read that there are over 4300 fires each year with turkey fryers.

Offline Lines

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 06:12:40 PM »
We're having turkey. I have been busy restoring some furniture and other household items, so I'm letting the Mrs. cook ours in the kitchen oven. I don't mind that at all because she does a very good job. We might try deep frying ours next year. I've seen some of my friends do it, so I kind of have an idea how. I do know it is delicious.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 12:38:03 AM »
Rule #1 for frying turkey: Make sure the bird is TOTALLY THAWED unless you want to see a BIG explosion and burn your house down.

Rule #2 for frying turkey: NEVER forget or violate Rule #1.

Rule #3 for frying turkey: If you violate Rule #1, make sure someone is visually recording the event from a safe distance. The video will be amazingly popular on any of a number of websites and/or social media platforms and will serve as a memorable keepsake for your survivors.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 06:48:05 AM »
There is nothing that beats the Big Easy. Brine the turkey, put it in TBE, relax with a beverage, and no flames, no fire, it comes out perfect almost every time. Crisp infrared. Clean up is simple. I have had mine about 15 years, and it still works well. Nothing else comes close.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 10:19:30 AM »
There is nothing that beats the Big Easy. Brine the turkey, put it in TBE, relax with a beverage, and no flames, no fire, it comes out perfect almost every time. Crisp infrared. Clean up is simple. I have had mine about 15 years, and it still works well. Nothing else comes close.

This is exactly how I do mine...and it works every time.  Mine is about 15 years old too.  Happy Turkey Day everyone.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 05:15:34 AM »
We use a fryer, quick and simple, plus it keeps the oven free for all the sides. Simple dry brine for 36-48 hours and boom. I use the rub from this https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/expertly-spiced-and-glazed-roast-turkey sub mixed peppercorns for pink peppercorns.

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline old sarge

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 06:45:27 PM »
That fried turkey looks great. Things have been hectic and in disarray the last couple of years.  But I well remember my first fried turkey endeavor several years ago.  So simple. And delicious!  Also did a traditional roasted turkey (got to get gravy fixins) and a double smoked ham. This year we visited my son and family and met at a fancy hotel that put on a great spread.  No fuss but the wife and I sure do miss the home cooking!
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 03:33:31 PM »
  Public service announcement disguised as a commercial ....

;D
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline old sarge

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 07:57:29 PM »
Funny!  But sad to realize that there some folks who have been badly burned by deep fryers for failing to follow common sense rules on use. Thanks!
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 07:29:11 AM »
Funny clip!

Another BIG reason to use the infrared Big Easy!!!

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 09:42:21 AM »
  Public service announcement disguised as a commercial ....

;D

That's why we get a fresh turkey!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759