Author Topic: Photography  (Read 22975 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Photography
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »

LOL - every basketball game I am yelling that at my Nikon D300s. But at least Ken helped me get the basic set up right so I only have to consider the light / color at the particular gym. My Fuji is the X10 - wish it was the X100 - but well.. only had a few quarters to spend... Still I really like it for a street camera. Some of my favorite shots were made with this - once I really started to learn it. And I do recall spending a lot of time learning my old film cameras. it was funny, though, every time I "upgraded" my film camera I complained about all the new stuff to learn. Now when I shoot film, I reach for the oldest most basic tools - Lieca, Lomo, Nikkorrex, and Nikonos for underwater.

Dang, the more we talk the more I think I should set up a darkroom!

Cheers,

David

Ah, gotcha.  I've done a few indoor sports, graduations and related over the years.  Sure, I got some really nice usable shots.  But without a really fast, long lens it can get pretty dicey.  And, I've had the same thoughts about putting the darkroom back up or at least processing my own b&w film.  But it really came down to, what is my real purpose for taking pictures?  To share.  To share with friends, family and online.  Doing that with film can really take the fun out of it.  I'm keeping my 35mm rigs for now, just in case.

xo, Biggles

Yep - I hear ya. I haunt ebay and try to snipe some deals. I've found a few nice lenses over the past few years - mostly Sigmas but some Nikkors as well. I am a slave to fast lenses - if it is slower than 2.8 I usually pass. I have almost infinate patience. A couple favorites - Sigma 150 macro 2.8, Nikon 80 - 200 2.8, and a Sigma 80 - 400 4.5. These fill out some primes - mostly 1.4 - 1.8 - love the light. I guess I've never tried to learn artificial light... lol... Trouble is I like to take too many different shots - wildlife, sports, street, landscapes... Gotta get simple some day...  ;) ;D

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 07:04:24 PM »

Yep - I hear ya. I haunt ebay and try to snipe some deals. I've found a few nice lenses over the past few years - mostly Sigmas but some Nikkors as well. I am a slave to fast lenses - if it is slower than 2.8 I usually pass. I have almost infinate patience. A couple favorites - Sigma 150 macro 2.8, Nikon 80 - 200 2.8, and a Sigma 80 - 400 4.5. These fill out some primes - mostly 1.4 - 1.8 - love the light. I guess I've never tried to learn artificial light... lol... Trouble is I like to take too many different shots - wildlife, sports, street, landscapes... Gotta get simple some day...  ;) ;D

David

150?  That's an oddball focal length, you like it though?  I've tried a 135, couldn't feel it.  But since it's a macro lens, could be useful in some food photography.  And since you're not hip to the artificial light, you may want to consider setting up a little studio in your kitchen.  Do you have a flood or two?  A diffuser or two?  White cards/boards to bounce light?  My kitchen cabinets are "whitish", I can bounce lights or a flash off the cabinets.  Or open a cabinet door to bring the light in closer.  Put your camera up on a tripod, get it set up and steady so you can play with the lighting.

Here's a quicky shot I did years ago, artificial light.  Had a little white card on the left side, lit up the left side of the jar's label just a tad.  Light on right bouncing off kitchen cabinets and back to subject.  Set up your stage, then just place your food on there and off you go.  Play time.

xo, Biggles

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
Really like the warmth - not easy (at least for me - still learning!)

I do like my 150 - yeah it is a bit "strange". But the speed is great and I can move myself around to get the shot. Took a bit of work - but I do like it - the color (even when I make it B&W) is really good! Was worth the effort. Reminds me of my old cameras with a 50Mm lens - I had to learn how to let them sing. This one is like that. It actually has become one of my favorites on my Nikon D300s. I guess I am goofy... lol...

No for whatever reason, I cannot get used to flash - I bought (on eBay) a good one and diffusers, etc... but I just don't see things that way. I see things in natural light - my curse, I guess.

I do use a bounce card once in a while, but mostly I am an existing light guy - just me. I do like your shot and wish I could see that way sometimes...

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
a friend of mine

DANG, Rad!!!
Is there anything you CAN"T do?

Great photo!
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »

No for whatever reason, I cannot get used to flash - I bought (on eBay) a good one and diffusers, etc... but I just don't see things that way. I see things in natural light - my curse, I guess.

I do use a bounce card once in a while, but mostly I am an existing light guy - just me. I do like your shot and wish I could see that way sometimes...

David

Awwww.  It's actually kinda therapeutic, especially on days when you can't get out and the available light is dim.  Not a curse, just doesn't interest you, no inspiration there.

xo, Biggles

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
I am far from a pro but do like to take the every once and a while shot. I took all these with my samsung s III phone. I will admit, I took about 8 shots to get this first one. 

This last picture is looking through the East Berlin side wall at the box that controlled the electric fence and then the mine field before ending at the West Berlin side wall.
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 01:49:48 PM »
I am far from a pro but do like to take the every once and a while shot. I took all these with my samsung s III phone. I will admit, I took about 8 shots to get this first one. 
This last picture is looking through the East Berlin side wall at the box that controlled the electric fence and then the mine field before ending at the West Berlin side wall.

Hey Chris,

Nice shots, MmMMmMmm, pork.  I wish I had pork today.

xo, Biggles

Offline pz

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »
I love photograph, and have literally tens of thousands of digital images on my hard drive.  I'm not really good at the hobby, I just like to have remembrances of good times I have had.

I'm currently using a Canon 60D with an 18-200 mm IS lens, which covers just about all the photo conditions I need.  I'm looking forward to seeing the many pics that I know must be on the site!

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
Like pz - I have literally thousands of shots from every trip - the plus and negative of digital photography. Here is a link to a heavily edited set of shots from the Galapagos a few years ago.

https://drhgalapagos2010.shutterfly.com/pictures/99#57

Cheers,

David
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 12:19:09 AM »
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Great pics David!  Quite a diversity of colorful sea life.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
Thank you, pz! I have to say, I like these even better - http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=e7b495c4de60a83b6d9889752d9a603c
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »
Thank you, pz! I have to say, I like these even better - http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=e7b495c4de60a83b6d9889752d9a603c

hmm... can't get the album to open up

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:34:49 PM by drholly »
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
Still no joy - takes me to a login screen