Author Topic: Burnt Ends  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
Re: Burnt Ends
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 04:31:01 AM »
Those burnt ends look delicious and I wouldn't share them with my neighbors, either. ;)

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Burnt Ends
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:19:36 AM »
Add me to the list of never having burnt ends. They do look good

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Hub

Re: Burnt Ends
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »
Those are some great looking burnt ends.  Burnt ends always make me wonder why you can buy brisket flats but never see the points packaged by themselves (other than maybe as hamburger).

I was just thinking the same thing. I would by the point over the flat any day of the week.........

Why can't you make burnt ends from the flat?  I always thought that they made burnt ends from the point because the grain goes in multiple directions in the point so it's harder to serve sliced.

You CAN make pretty darned good burnt ends from the flat but they are harder, usually, to keep moist in the cooking process.  The point meat is internally fattier, promoting moisture retention.  Burnt ends have become pretty common now in contest entries and are usually presented along with sliced flat.  Sometimes the burnt ends will be made from the point and sometimes they will be made from the smaller, less photogenic flat pieces that get trimmed away.  You can usually tell where they come from by the texture.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Chili Head

Burnt Ends
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »
Oh baby! I want some!
I would share with the neighbors only once to show what they're missing, then it's neener neener neener!
Thanks for showing us how you make them! Now I gotta hit the store and get a brisket!