Author Topic: Bradley smoker  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Sandman

Bradley smoker
« Reply #-1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »
I am looking for a new smoker. The bradley digital seems to be about what I am thinking of getting. Anybody like to share there experience with one of these? Thanks.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Bradley smoker
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
I have a Bradley and really like mine. I would suggest however getting the non-digital model and use the difference in cost to buy one of these...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=151

It is a PID controller that is plug-n-play with the Original Bradley Smoker. It will also work with the digital but kind of replaces the digital functions.

It has much better temperature control and functions then the standard digital. And the integrated meat probe works with the controller.

If you buy one make sure to get the hanging cabinet temp probe and not the fixed.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline BAM1

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
X2 what muebe said.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
I don't have the faintest idea what Muebe just posted Sandman but these guys know what they are talking about...trust me  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Bradley smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
I have a Bradley and really like mine. I would suggest however getting the non-digital model and use the difference in cost to buy one of these...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=151

It is a PID controller that is plug-n-play with the Original Bradley Smoker. It will also work with the digital but kind of replaces the digital functions.

It has much better temperature control and functions then the standard digital. And the integrated meat probe works with the controller.

If you buy one make sure to get the hanging cabinet temp probe and not the fixed.

X3
I also have a Bradley. Mine is the 4
Rack digital. I have two 500w elements controlled by the dual probe PID that Muebe posted. I also have a 2" fan in mine.
Mike (Muebe) has I believe a 5" fan in his.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
I am looking for a new smoker. The bradley digital seems to be about what I am thinking of getting. Anybody like to share there experience with one of these? Thanks.
Really depends on what you would like to do. I have been a Bradley user for 5 years. I use it for cold smoking with the optional adapter. I bounce back and forth between my Treager and the Bradley
for most cooks. For sausage and bacon, the Auber controller is a must have to properly ramp up temps. I also use it quite a bit for getting smoke flavor into chicken or turkey, and finish on the Traeger or gasser. The Bradley alone just does not do well with poultry, as it does leave the skin somewhat rubbery. but the meat is tender and juicy.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:25:05 PM »
I have a Bradley Original. I made a lot of great stuff in it before I added the PID.

The PID just makes it easier, especially for sausage and fish.

It is still my preferred smoker for bacon. I just like the way it comes out better than my other smokers.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
What the other guys said.  I have the OBS and added a fan kit and dual probe PID.  Fantastic set up for sausage, snack sticks, brisket, pulled pork and bacon. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »
I really like my DBS6. I mainly use it for jerky, sausage, bacon, hamhocks and smoked salmon.  If your looking for a smoke ring on your meats the bradley wont produce one.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »

I have the OBS that I use for cold smoking cheeses, etc.

I had an old old Auber PID, but I just sold it to a guy who needed one to control a bread proofer. 

Offline Sam3

Bradley smoker
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »
I have an OBS with a 900 watt element, fan mod and Auber PID dual probe. It's set up for sausage, snack Stiks, fish and cold smoking cheese. It never goes past 175 degrees. But that's my choice. It suits my needs for sure.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »

X3
I also have a Bradley. Mine is the 4
Rack digital. I have two 500w elements controlled by the dual probe PID that Muebe posted. I also have a 2" fan in mine.
Mike (Muebe) has I believe a 5" fan in his.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Yes I have a PID, 900W Finned Heating Element,  and a 5 inch fan. Mike sometimes size matters ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:25:21 PM »

I have the OBS that I use for cold smoking cheeses, etc.

I had an old old Auber PID, but I just sold it to a guy who needed one to control a bread proofer.
Monkey Business :)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
What are you looking to do in the smoker Sandman?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Sandman

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
I am mainly wanting to smoke sausage and maybe some bacon. Looks like the bradley is the way to go. Now I just have to talk myself into spending the money. ;D