Author Topic: Likes, Dislikes and Suggestions  (Read 4767 times)

Offline old sarge

Likes, Dislikes and Suggestions
« Reply #-1 on: August 03, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »
Since a lot of folks come to this site for ideas and opinions on equipment as well as recipes and ideas, I thought it would be sort of fun to identify what you like about your particular electric smoker, what you dislike, and what you feel could be made better and why.  Also, in the 20/20 hindsight arena, would you make the same choice again?

I have a Cookshack Amerique.  Wonderful smoker, digital control. I dislike the small wheels as moving it around over paver bricks is a bumpy task, with the wheels sometimes bogging down or turning in the spaces between the bricks. Larger wheels would eliminate the problem.  Also, a longer power cord would be nice. Otherwise, I am very satisfied with it. 

Would I purchase again? There are other stainless steel smokers out there that are very well constructed, cost far less, and produce terrific results without the need for digital accuracy. So I have to say I doubt I would spend that kind of money again (20/20 hindsight).  No buyers remorse, just better informed today than yesterday.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline UWFSAE

Re: Likes, Dislikes and Suggestions
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
After having used an offset smoker for years, as well an inexpensive electric Brinkmann back in grad school, I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a good electric smoker.  Why electric?  While I loved my stick burner, it required quite a bit of babysitting and clean up required enough time that it felt like a chore and the biggest issue is that getting a smoke together took time up front that I didn't always have.

For the traditionalists, don't get me wrong ... good offset smokers yield amazing flavor and are a blast to work with.  Yet I found them to be as much a social tool as they are a cooking tool; as I grew a bit older and both my friends and I kept adding responsibilities and "time sucks" to our lives it wasn't always feasible to get a group of guys, a keg of Shiner and sit around a smoker waiting for ribs to finish.

So, the world of the electric smoker beckoned.  Being a research junkie by trade, I hit all the local bbq/grilling stores and looked at what they had, read internet reviews, lurked in the online forums and was down to the Cookshack SM045 and the SmokinTex 1400.  The Cookshack had a digital control and a premium price, well over the $1000 mark; I had really wanted the Cookshack Amerique but the sticker shock brought me back to reality quite quickly.  As far as the SmokinTex 1400, I actually am an advocate of the analog controls ... computers break and are expensive to repair while a rheostat is an inexpensive DIY job.  After about two months of consideration, I was about ready to pull the trigger on the SmokinTex ...

But then I saw some internet chatter about the Smokin-It series of smokers.

Considering I could get a higher capacity (45 lbs compared to 35 lbs for both the others), more shelves (four to three for the others), had a more powerful heating element (1200w compared to 700w or 750w) with a similar build quality and a significantly cheaper price led me to reopen my deliberations, and very quickly I decided that the Smokin-It #3 made too much sense to ignore.

Its specs were outstanding, allowing me to feed a very large cookout while still being a compact unit.  The stainless construction is par for the course for these type of electric smokers and there were a few bells and whistles (longer cord than the norm, extra large locking casters, etc.) that have made this a painless process.  I've had an average of one smoking session per week since I bought it back in March and I've run the gamut from brisket to pork butt to ribs, to chicken, along with some nontraditional items like Bacon Explosions and even some homemade gyro meat, and it has produced extremely consistent results with an efficient process.  Each session uses only a few ounces of wood, cleanup is a breeze, and there hasn't really been an impact on my electric bills.

I can recommend, without reservation, the Smokin-It products.  While I would have no qualms purchasing either of the other brands I mentioned, the Smokin-It Model 3 was the ideal choice for my needs and has made converts of a few of my buddies who are seeking permission from their wives about adding one to their backyards.   ;D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:29:09 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
Well I have an Original Bradley Smoker. Mine is heavily modified so I really like it although since getting the Memphis is only gets used for cold smoking, jerky, and Salmon where lower & stable temps are required. Also I installed a convection fan from a home oven so it works great as a dehydrator and convection smoker.

An unmodified OBS is a good all around smoker but has it's flaws. But let's start with the positives...

It uses a unique "wood puck" feeder that loads the wood pucks onto a heating element inside the smoker. Then every 20 minutes it dumps the wood puck and a new one slides in to provide more smoke. It provides a nice clean smoke and you can mix flavors if you like. Also it allows you to control the exact amount of time for smoke. Load 3 pucks and that is 60 minutes of smoke. This allows you to have the same smoke level at low and high temps because there is a separate heating element for the pucks(150W)

It is a fully insulated smoker. Basically insulated like a small dorm refrigerator. This allows it to use a small heating element although it is too small IMHO but we will address that in the cons.

There is a 4 rack and 6 rack model available. The racks are removable and you can install hooks to hang sausage etc.

The unit is fairly compact and does not take up a lot of space. It is not heavy so moving it to another location is not super difficult.

True cold smoking is possible with the cold smoke adapter. This adapter moves the smoke generator out of the cabinet. Add some ice trays to the cabinet and you have a smokey refrigerator ;)

It's price does not kill the pocketbook but not the cheapest electric smoker out there either.

Here are some of the cons...

The heating element is under powered. At 500W it has difficulty keeping higher temps in cold weather. And when the door is opened temp recovery takes some time in cold weather. Also Bradley had a rash if bad heating elements that were failing. Not their fault and they replaced the elements for free but there were numerous complaints. I upgraded my heating element to a 900W stainless steel heating element. I have no problem keeping temps ;)

The build quality is sub par. The door rides on hinges attached to plastic that fail over time. The plastic gets brittle and cracks then the door literally falls off. I re-designed my hinges with metal plates so it is no longer an issue for me. Also the bottom plastic cover where the heating slide control is located will crack and allow moisture to get in. I replaced that cover with a metal one I built and omitted the slide control because I use a PID controller.

The regular model uses a "slide" control for temp adjustment. It just regulates the voltage to the element so temps can vary depending on ambient temps, wind, etc. The digital model is better because you can set the temp digitally although it does have wide temp swings. I use a PID that regulates the temps within one degree. So the temps are extremely accurate. The PID and standard Bradley are a better combo than the digital model IMHO.

And the only pucks that are available are from Bradley. They are not too expensive considering a puck provides smoke for 20 minutes but not having other companies make them limits your choices IMHO.

The Bradley is a good smoker but after my modifications I have a great smoker ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
After having used an offset smoker for years, as well an inexpensive electric Brinkmann back in grad school, I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a good electric smoker.  Why electric?  While I loved my stick burner, it required quite a bit of babysitting and clean up required enough time that it felt like a chore and the biggest issue is that getting a smoke together took time up front that I didn't always have.

For the traditionalists, don't get me wrong ... good offset smokers yield amazing flavor and are a blast to work with.  Yet I found them to be as much a social tool as they are a cooking tool; as I grew a bit older and both my friends and I kept adding responsibilities and "time sucks" to our lives it wasn't always feasible to get a group of guys, a keg of Shiner and sit around a smoker waiting for ribs to finish.

So, the world of the electric smoker beckoned.  Being a research junkie by trade, I hit all the local bbq/grilling stores and looked at what they had, read internet reviews, lurked in the online forums and was down to the Cookshack SM045 and the SmokinTex 1400.  The Cookshack had a digital control and a premium price, well over the $1000 mark; I had really wanted the Cookshack Amerique but the sticker shock brought me back to reality quite quickly.  As far as the SmokinTex 1400, I actually am an advocate of the analog controls ... computers break and are expensive to repair while a rheostat is an inexpensive DIY job.  After about two months of consideration, I was about ready to pull the trigger on the SmokinTex ...

But then I saw some internet chatter about the Smokin-It series of smokers.

Considering I could get a higher capacity (45 lbs compared to 35 lbs for both the others), more shelves (four to three for the others), had a more powerful heating element (1200w compared to 700w or 750w) with a similar build quality and a significantly cheaper price led me to reopen my deliberations, and very quickly I decided that the Smokin-It #3 made too much sense to ignore.

Its specs were outstanding, allowing me to feed a very large cookout while still being a compact unit.  The stainless construction is par for the course for these type of electric smokers and there were a few bells and whistles (longer cord than the norm, extra large locking casters, etc.) that have made this a painless process.  I've had an average of one smoking session per week since I bought it back in March and I've run the gamut from brisket to pork butt to ribs, to chicken, along with some nontraditional items like Bacon Explosions and even some homemade gyro meat, and it has produced extremely consistent results with an efficient process.  Each session uses only a few ounces of wood, cleanup is a breeze, and there hasn't really been an impact on my electric bills.

I can recommend, without reservation, the Smokin-It products.  While I would have no qualms purchasing either of the other brands I mentioned, the Smokin-It Model 3 was the ideal choice for my needs and has made converts of a few of my buddies who are seeking permission from their wives about adding one to their backyards.   ;D

X2
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
I will bring a bit different perspective to this. My family is not big into smoke (I have no idea where they came from or how they were found...  ???) So, smoking is unfortunately, not a big deal around here.  :'(

I used to have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It was excellent. Didn't use it enough so, I gave it to my brother. I now have a Char Broil electric vertical smoker. I chose it primarily for ease of use and price. It is ok. It works. And for the money is probably not a bad choice. However, I have to say the Smokin-It line has attracted my attention. Reading about it (I have yet to see one live) it looks like it would be the ideal smoker for my limited needs. I would buy the smallest just because it would be pretty much a personal smoker. But, it looks like it would address all of my concerns with the Char Broil and open up a new bunch of opportunities.

I am not saying the Char Broil is bad, just that if I could have a mulligan - I'd go for the Smokin-It.

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
a couple xmas' ago I bought a cookshack sm025 elite.  nice unit.  a little expensive.  I liked that it could go to 300° and had a temp probe.  I over smoked so much food my family hated it.  it was probably operator error (maybe not) but everything I smoked was way over smoked.  even if I added just 2 ozs of wood everything seemed to be over smoked.  I think that my family is use to lightly smoked foods.  all my smoke foods comes off my mak pellet grill or my WSM.  i have seen a lot of good food coming off of smokes electric and he just bought another smoking it electric smoker again.  he isn't stupid so it must be a good product.  i do like all the features on the smoking it #3.  do ya'll find that 250° if hot enough to cook must foods?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 06:03:50 PM »
My experience mirrors Sparky.
Even after dozens of cooks in a MES electric smoker a butt was not as good as my first butt on my WSM :o
Biggest problem .......over smoking
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline old sarge

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:02:40 PM »
Sparky, Lost Arrow  - I find 225 to be the sweet point for long slow smokes. And I stick with 2 ounces (once in a while 3 or 4) of wood and once the door closes, it stays closed till the food is finished.  Over smoked once, too much wood, too much bitter residue/creosote layered up.

Would you do anything different now that your experience has grown?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:07:37 PM by old sarge »
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »
Sarge and I are of the same opinion regarding 225 being the sweet spot on this style of smoking; with chicken I'll push it to 250 but that's about it.

My use of wood varies depending on both the meat being smoked and the wood I have on hand.  I will use 5-6 oz. for brisket or a large butt, 4 oz for a couple of racks of spares, but only 2-3 for chicken wings or a pork loin.  I also tend to prefer going slightly heavier on apple or cherry while I'll use a lighter hand with hickory or mesquite.

While I sometimes miss the aesthetic of a good smoke ring, I've had 10-12lb pork butt come out as succulent at 205 for pulled as I do at 170 for sliced.  Brisket stays moist, as do ribs ... and 95% of all my smokes go unfoiled for the entire process.  As such, like Sarge, my door stays closed and I have a nearly sealed environment for maintaining temp, smoke and moisture.

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
I cook my butts, chuckies and briskets at 250.  Ribs at 275 and chicken at 350.  I would only use the electric smoker for over night smokes because of the temp limitations.  I really love my pellet grill and my wsm alot. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
It is kinda funny how everybody has different tastes when it comes to smoke. I could not stand the over-smoked meat that the WSM produced....and I know my way around charcoal and wood.....my Smokin-It puts out excellent grub, but I am careful about how much wood I put in it though........The Smokin-It creates gentle moist heat that will take the toughest carcass and make it so tender ya don't even need a knife to cut through it..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 09:18:37 PM »
My experience mirrors Sparky.
Even after dozens of cooks in a MES electric smoker a butt was not as good as my first butt on my WSM :o
Biggest problem .......over smoking

I have the 40' 2nd gen MES...every video I have watched them do at HQ shows them adding WET CHIPS...yes, I know the RULE about wet chips, but when I use DRY chips, the meat is over smoked.  Once I followed directions for THEIR smoker, I had much better results.

PLEASE don't pile on here...take it up with the folks at MES.  It has to do with their smoker, I'm sure.  Besides, I hardly use electric when I can play with REAL fire.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
Well I have an Original Bradley Smoker. Mine is heavily modified so I really like it although since getting the Memphis is only gets used for cold smoking, jerky, and Salmon where lower & stable temps are required. Also I installed a convection fan from a home oven so it works great as a dehydrator and convection smoker.

An unmodified OBS is a good all around smoker but has it's flaws. But let's start with the positives...

It uses a unique "wood puck" feeder that loads the wood pucks onto a heating element inside the smoker. Then every 20 minutes it dumps the wood puck and a new one slides in to provide more smoke. It provides a nice clean smoke and you can mix flavors if you like. Also it allows you to control the exact amount of time for smoke. Load 3 pucks and that is 60 minutes of smoke. This allows you to have the same smoke level at low and high temps because there is a separate heating element for the pucks(150W)

It is a fully insulated smoker. Basically insulated like a small dorm refrigerator. This allows it to use a small heating element although it is too small IMHO but we will address that in the cons.

There is a 4 rack and 6 rack model available. The racks are removable and you can install hooks to hang sausage etc.

The unit is fairly compact and does not take up a lot of space. It is not heavy so moving it to another location is not super difficult.

True cold smoking is possible with the cold smoke adapter. This adapter moves the smoke generator out of the cabinet. Add some ice trays to the cabinet and you have a smokey refrigerator ;)

It's price does not kill the pocketbook but not the cheapest electric smoker out there either.

Here are some of the cons...

The heating element is under powered. At 500W it has difficulty keeping higher temps in cold weather. And when the door is opened temp recovery takes some time in cold weather. Also Bradley had a rash if bad heating elements that were failing. Not their fault and they replaced the elements for free but there were numerous complaints. I upgraded my heating element to a 900W stainless steel heating element. I have no problem keeping temps ;)

The build quality is sub par. The door rides on hinges attached to plastic that fail over time. The plastic gets brittle and cracks then the door literally falls off. I re-designed my hinges with metal plates so it is no longer an issue for me. Also the bottom plastic cover where the heating slide control is located will crack and allow moisture to get in. I replaced that cover with a metal one I built and omitted the slide control because I use a PID controller.

The regular model uses a "slide" control for temp adjustment. It just regulates the voltage to the element so temps can vary depending on ambient temps, wind, etc. The digital model is better because you can set the temp digitally although it does have wide temp swings. I use a PID that regulates the temps within one degree. So the temps are extremely accurate. The PID and standard Bradley are a better combo than the digital model IMHO.

And the only pucks that are available are from Bradley. They are not too expensive considering a puck provides smoke for 20 minutes but not having other companies make them limits your choices IMHO.

The Bradley is a good smoker but after my modifications I have a great smoker ;)

X2 but will add a few mor comments.  I had my Bradley OBS (non-digital) for 4 years and have not had as many problems as Mike. I did have a door crack but it was replaced free of charge and haven't had problems with it since.
I did add a second 500 W element and use an Auber PID with it. But I only paid $220 for the smoker and $145 for the PID. So for the price range I am totally satisfied with it (but am saving up for a pellet pooper)
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:12 PM »
I have had a 30" MES for about 4 or 5 years and love it.  I also have a 40" thanks to Jaxon.  I bought a 40" and gave it to my son in law.  In the beginning I had a lot of over smoking and I discussed it on the CharBroil forum with many who are here and like many of the things I have problems with the solution was caused by...ME and not the smoker.  You see, I would keep that smoke billowing throughout most of the cook...you know like you see Steve R. doing on his show.  Well, after input from the forum folks I found I was just smoking too long and too strong.  You need a whisk of thin blue smoke...you want to kiss and carress the  meat and not mug it.

Now what I do is to load up the Amazn-tube with pellets and one  load of chips or pellets in the chute and set the MES on 225 and let 'er rip until done.  Personally, I see no reason to buy anything other than an MES; however, Cajun Injector who relabels MESs to their brand has a new double door with a glass front to it for less than $400 at Academy Sports and if I were to get a new one, that would be it.  I had to replace the controller on my 30" and it was sent to me free of charge even though the unit was about three years old.

I really like the set it and forget it mode because I'm too old/wise/lazy (take your pick) to baby sit and mess with a different type of smoker.  I grew up smoking over the old fashion pits dug in the ground with fence wire strung over the top and coals sprinkled under the meat ALL  NIGHT and do not care about doing that any more.  Nothing against those who do...I have just left that behind.

I'm going to visit my daughter and son in law tomorrow in Braselton, north of Atlanta,  and he has a new Caja China and we are going to work on getting it to smoke using the Amazn Tube based on some info from some other folks on a forum specializing on that cooker.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »
Jaxon it has to do with the amount of chips being used not the fact they are wet. Wet chips don't smoke until the moisture dries out. So they are getting less smoke because of that. And by the time they are finally getting smoke the meat has probably reached a temp where it is no longer absorbing smoke. Once the exterior of the meat dries out it will no longer accept smoke.

There is no need to fill the chip box in the electric smoker up completely. Remember that less is better. You really only want to smoke for the first couple hours when using an electric smoker. Those chip boxes on electric smokers hold too much chips for ANY cook. Just my two cents...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven