Author Topic: Cold smoking (cheese) experience  (Read 4003 times)

Offline pz

Cold smoking (cheese) experience
« Reply #-1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
Well, we repositioned the Bradley smoker to waist level (my back was beginning to suffer stooping over) and smoked several cheeses.  Using pecan, we smoked for 2 hours with the temperature not rising above 95F.  I did not connect the power wire to the smoker to prevent any current from reaching the main heating element.  I learned my lesson from the first cheese smoke and cut these into approximately 2.5-inch thick chunks to get good smoke penetration, but not too much.  I'm still a cheese novice, but we sure do like the smoky flavor that you can't get from store bought cheese.

Ice in the bottom pan proved very helpful to keep the temperature from rising too far.  One of these days I'll purchase some dryer vent and build an isolation box to truly deliver cold smoke.  :)

Click to zoom, click again to minimize

Here's the cheese list:
  • Top rack: muenster on the left and goat cheese in the foil
  • Middle rack: pepper jack on the left and Gouda on the right
  • Bottom rack: more Gouda (left) and muenster (right)

We put the Bradley on the side counter of the grill - it fit perfectly.  It is so much easier to work with the smoker when it is at counter height - no more hands-and-knees!

Done smoking: a friend gave me a huge muenster log to smoke and I cut it into 2.5-inch thick pieces - the ends are on the left.  A couple of goat cheese logs are on the right.

The pepper jack is on the left and Gouda on the right.

We spread a bit of smoked goat cheese on bread my wife baked this morning - it was absolutely delicious.

Now we've lots of sacks of cheese vacuum sealed in the back of the fridge aging nicely.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Cold smoking (cheese) experience
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:58:21 PM »
Looks delicious. Good idea on repositioning the Bradley.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:21:07 AM »
Thanks, drholly, the reposition is certainly a good temporary move so I don't end up throwing out my back, but I'd like to find some kind of more permanent (and protected) cabinet as I have seen is many member photos.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:28:59 AM »
Cheese looks great, and I like the Bradley position.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »
That cheese will be great in 6 months ;)

I have a Bradley that is heavily modified. My smoke generator is located at the bottom of the cabinet with a y pipe being used as a puck dump tube. Then I installed a copper heat sink with a fan to remove the excess heat from the pipe. So by the time the smoke reaches the cabinet it is at ambient temp. Makes cold smoking cheese much easier.

I also have a convection fan from a home oven installed in the Bradley cabinet for convection smoking and dehydration.

And my heating element has been upgraded to a 900w stainless steel one.

I also have a dual probe Auber PID running the show.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »
Thanks, drholly, the reposition is certainly a good temporary move so I don't end up throwing out my back, but I'd like to find some kind of more permanent (and protected) cabinet as I have seen is many member photos.

Sounds like the topic for a good thread pz ;) ;)  We have a few folks on here that have done some electric box smoker carts. Why not post the question? Maybe ask for some pictures too. It is a common issue formany I am certain.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »

I have a Bradley that is heavily modified. My smoke generator is located at the bottom of the cabinet with a y pipe being used as a puck dump tube. Then I installed a copper heat sink with a fan to remove the excess heat from the pipe. So by the time the smoke reaches the cabinet it is at ambient temp. Makes cold smoking cheese much easier.

I also have a convection fan from a home oven installed in the Bradley cabinet for convection smoking and dehydration.

Wow, your setup sounds just like what I need - do you have pics posted?  I recently purchased an Auber dual probe, but have not even set it up yet with the Bradley.

@sliding_billy, thanks for the comment - getting old means that one needs to be a bit more creative in order to avoid the aches and pains!

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 01:15:20 PM »

Sounds like the topic for a good thread pz ;) ;)  We have a few folks on here that have done some electric box smoker carts. Why not post the question? Maybe ask for some pictures too. It is a common issue formany I am certain.
T

Sounds like a good idea, T - I'll do so!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »

Wow, your setup sounds just like what I need - do you have pics posted?  I recently purchased an Auber dual probe, but have not even set it up yet with the Bradley.

@sliding_billy, thanks for the comment - getting old means that one needs to be a bit more creative in order to avoid the aches and pains!

I started another thread all about my Bradley mods here...

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=5274.0
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:16:48 PM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
Many thanks muebe, i saw your setup and was immediately impressed with the thought and planning that went into that unit - I plan to incorporate many of your features into my rig