Author Topic: So, What's Cooking This Weekend?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
So, What's Cooking This Weekend?
« Reply #-1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
Knowing that Labor is coming up, I went through the freezer to see what would be good to smoke for this weekend. I originally thought about ribs again and there is a sale at one of our small markets on beef back ribs for $1.67 per lb. that I think I will get anyway for the freezer. We have pork ribs, a full packer brisket, a 5 lb. pork loin, sausage, burger meat, and a few other items. While looking through all of these frozen foods, I found a half of a brisket that I cut in half a couple of months ago. I took this out and put it into the fridge to thaw.

So, it is going to be brisket. I want to get more Hatch chilis, maybe some bello mushrooms, corn is on sale and maybe some fresh string beans. Might even see if there is a potato out their with my name on it. But, it definitely is going to be brisket.

Now, I have to decide, wood smoker or pellet smoker? Brisket, since I cut in half, weighs only 3 to 4 lbs. I have no idea how long this will take, but I will be governed by internal temperature.

So what ya all doing for Labor Day weekend?

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline deb415611

Re: So, What's Cooking This Weekend?
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »
will be starting some pizza dough tonight for pizza on Friday night.  I want to defrost the freezer so I think the turkey is coming out and will be done Saturday or Sunday.  Other than that no plans yet

Offline RickB

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
Thanks for the post Ed I was just going to ask the same question. It's been close to a month since I fired up a grill so I to am looking for some ideas. What say ye all!

Offline Pappymn

So, What's Cooking This Weekend?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »

Thanks for the post Ed I was just going to ask the same question. It's been close to a month since I fired up a grill so I to am looking for some ideas. What say ye all!

No kidding Lobsterman. Think we are all having Rick withdrawal ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
whatever my wife tells me to cook.  plus a rack of ribs.   :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:31:55 PM »
Hoping to do some Slawsa Dogs in a special way :) . Boss mentioned working on Labor day but that should be against the frigging law :)

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
I like pork butts and I cannot lie!

I am probably going to do 4 butts for 2 parties.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
I'm not sure. FIL gave me a $50.00 gift certificate from a really good meat market for my bday, so I guess I'm going shopping!

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:12:27 AM »
What a great thread!

I'm planning several things, and I know some of them will work out fine, but I'm concerned about one.  We don't have too many more great weekends outdoors in north Idaho, so we want to make the most of what we have left

Friday
Put a couple of pounds of pork butt and dried black beans in a pressure cooker with dried ancho, chipotle, and guajillo peppers (no salt or other seasoning).  Done after 75 minutes in the pressure cooker, remove the dried peppers, stem and pull the seeds, then puree the peppers with salt, black pepper, and a little vinegar for a drizzlin' sauce.

Pull the pork, then chop it for later use on pizza.  Drain the liquid from the beans and place in a separate container - save the liquid to add to the drizzlin' sauce above.
Store these goodies for Sunday

Saturday
Clean the garage and mow the lawn, but as a reward, half through the day start a fire in the pizza oven for an afternoon pizza - will be doing fresh style pizzas - no sauce, but loaded with fresh tomato, fresh basil, and cheese we smoked in the Bradley, black olives, and mushrooms.  A second pizza style will be topped with smoked wild coho I did today with smoked goat cheese and a light sprinkling of sun dried tomato.  Black Butte Porter will cool me off after the yard work

Sunday
Entertainment day (guests) - planning wood fired and grilled pizzas and the Bradley will be cold smoking Gouda, Swiss, extra sharp yellow cheddar, extra sharp Vermont white, and a couple of other cheeses while the festivities continue.  Guests won't be eating the smoked cheese of that day, but while the cheese is smoking, they will sample smoked cheeses and Canadian bacon we made a month ago so they get a sense of the smooth pecan flavor the cheese (and meat) was kissed with.
  • We'll pluck fresh tomatoes off the plants next to the wood fired oven and use those on pizzas like we did on Saturday.
  • Second style will be sun dried tomatoes, fresh and dried basil, pepperoncinis, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, feta, mozzarella, provolone
  • Third will be using the pressure cooked black beans and pulled pork prepared on Friday.  Layer black beans on a grilled crisp crust, then drizzle the sauce to taste, then add a layer of chopped pork, and top with smoked cheddar cheese.  Finish in the wood fired oven.
I want to start the SRG and do a pork butt, but haven't a clue yet how to go about it.  I'm hoping a forum member will have some advice on how to proceed.

Labor Day
I have a great full brisket (point and flat) in the freezer that I'd like to either Bradley, or Weber - not sure yet.  The only thing I'm sure of is that there will be plenty of beer available to watch the brisket while it goes low and slow.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:27:04 AM »
So far, I have a wagyu tri-tip, 2 racks of baby backs and 2 arm roasts thawing.  Not sure what the actual plan is yet, but... they will be cooked somehow.  If my butcher comes through (which they always do), I will have a clod to pick up tomorrow (taking the whole clod but will freeze half of it for a later cook).  The only side dish of note I plan on doing is mushroom risotto at some point (probably serve with the tri-tip).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »
I plan on working out my new large crock pot I bought for some Sous Vide cooking. I got 2 center cut pork tenderloins that will get a 137F bath for 3 hours bagged with butter and Penzy's BBQ 3000 then a finish searing.

Since London Broil seems to be on sale I may pick some up tonight to do Sous Vide and some fish also.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »
Friday I'm smoking a whole brisket, two butts & 2 racks ribs.
    These were partially thawed when my freezer got unthawed & I'm going to cook & re- pack in foodsaver bags.
Saturday going to Nola with wife ,sister-in law , & her husband.
     Riding the street car to the Rusty Nail ( the semi- official BAMA sports bar to watch the game) ROLL TIDE, then going to a bar near the appt & eating happy hour oysters ($6.00/ dz), then walking to appt & grilling burgers.
Sunday will grill corn, make slaw, & finish the ribs cooked Friday.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
It's kinda simple, really, and easy too.  I haven't had a good burger in a long, long time.  Home-grown, vine-ripened tomatoes are still available, also.  So, I'm going to dust off the Weber and let 'er rip on some fine old fashioned charcoal grilled burgers  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:49:53 AM »

Delivery truck is coming tomorrow with 3 cases of back ribs, 55 pounds of split fryers, and a 10 pound box of feather bones for some Football Snacking 'sperimenting..    :D

Oh, and 100 pounds of sugar.   :o ???

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
OMG..everything sounds so good..how to pick. But am doing 15 pizzas on Sunday. Can't wait for the peanut butter and jelly one..fabulous. I'm making an artichoke and spinach one on butter and gahhlick with mozz and Asiago cheeses. I am also making 15 lbs of pizza dough.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron