Author Topic: Poutine ....... eh  (Read 1051 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Poutine ....... eh
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 04:17:14 AM »
Agree that the brown gravy and cheese curds make it.  Nothing wrong with variations, but you've really got to try it the "traditional" way.  Still laughing at how fancy the name makes it sound compared to what it actually is.

P.S. Ed - I'll be happy to "inherit" your smoker after your wife gets home.  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 08:08:11 AM »

If you folks ever find yourself in Springfield, you need to try our 'signature' dish.

The Horseshoe.

(sorry for the low light)

From the bottom up...   Texas toast. 1/4 (more like 1/2) pound of meat, this was corned beef. Huge pile of fries and a heavy coating of a special cheese sauce.   

There are different meat options, hamburger is the basic one.  Ham & Turkey are popular.  For St Patrick's Day, I had a corned beef and cabbage shoe, and they used Guinness in the cheese sauce.

Yes, that is a pile of food.  That pretty much was breakfast/lunch/dinner on a plate.  I didn't eat again until the next day.

It's the sauce that makes the dish...   Different restaurants have their own spin on it, but here is the original:

Springfield Horseshoe Welsh Rarebit Sauce Recipe

The original sauce used by Illinois legend, Leland Hotel's Chef Joe Schweska

* ½ pound butter
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * ¼ pound of flour
    * ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 quart and 1 cup of milk
    * 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 ½ to 3 pounds chopped Old English Cheese
    * 1 pint of beer

1. Melt butter, then add flour and milk. Stir in remaining ingredients except the beer.
   2. Cook in a double boiler, stir into a creamy sauce. Add beer to sauce just before serving.

And the modern version..

Cheese Beer Sauce

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup beer
2 tablespoon butter
3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper

In a small bowl, combine egg yolks and beer until mixed; set aside.

In the top of a double boiler over hot water, melt butter and Cheddar cheese. Add Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper; stir until well mixed.

Add egg mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture thickens and begins to bubble around the edges.

Remove from heat and keep warm until sandwiches are assembled.

--

Give it a try sometime, just don't tell your cardiologist....

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
You beat me to it Squirt. This version of horseshoe sandwich is made with a breaded pork tenderloin. And as Squirt stated......have your cardiologist nearby when you eat one of these things.  But they are good, as I am sure the poutine is as well. It's almost as the same person invented both.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
The horseshoe is awesome!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
Wow Squirt.. that is a plate of goodness right there! Sounds like a road trip to Springfield might be needed!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 08:32:32 AM »
Ted Nugent Likes it so much he wrote a song about it ;)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
I played my Junior hockey in Canada.  We had to eat about 6,000 calories a day to keep from becoming stick figures.  Poutine was often a part of that 6,000.  Haven't had it for many years (maybe 50).  Think about it once in a while.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas