Author Topic: Johnny Football  (Read 3402 times)

Offline CaptJack

Johnny Football
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:15:03 AM by CaptJack »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Johnny Football
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »
I thought Johnny M played well; however,  his actions that resulted in the unsportsmanlike foul changed my opinion of him.  Up until then I thought he was just a young fellow who needed some growing up to do.  I now think he is just a conceited jerk with no class.

As far as the Bama game went...I thought they were flat and lacked enthusiasm especially the offensive line. That was the worst game I've seen McCarron play.  I hope they take advantage of the bye week and get ready for A&M which I think they will.

Murray for GA is having a pretty impressive game as is the Clemson QB.  With GA injuries they will have their hands full with SC next weekend.

Gonna be a great season.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »
 :-[Yep Dee - I concur....We wanted a hero at A &M...but not an "A-hole".......This kid is going to have a short college career. He is so hated by fans and other players because of his attitude.

What a waste of magnificent talent.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
Dont forget these are young men in thier twentys. Were we much better?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:20:23 PM by RickB »

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »

Yes - the partying I can live with. But today he shows his true character. Don't know if anyone else noticed but when he walked off the field his coach was giving him an earful and he just walked on by him like he wasn't even there.

And yes, BAMA has me a bit worried on offense. Hope this came wakes them up.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:31:49 PM »

Yep - I know Rick ...this kid is 19. BUt he has plenty of guidance from coaches and handlers. He has just let his accomplishments thus far go to his head to such an extreme. It is like watching North Dallas 40 or any other bad football movie you can think of.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »
I am not a big college football guy  ??? ??? ??? And I know I was a jerk sometimes at that age. But, when on the field we knew there were rules and expectations. We followed them. I still like Barry Sanders - he ran into the end zone and tossed the ball to the ref like it was what he did... No, he wasn't in college, but he was the epitome of class. My daughter's "boyfriend" a high school player - WR catches touchdown passes and tosses the ball to the ref - no big deal. He gets it, one of the reasons I like this kid. I don't see age as an excuse - class is class.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »
I still remember my one of my coaches in jr. high school ball telling me to "act like I've been there before" ... and that stuck with me to pretty much everything I do competitively.  Manziel doesn't actually attend classes (he takes the minimum gen ed requirements online) and has shown himself to be the antithesis of the "scholar athlete".  I root for UT and A&M (as long as they aren't up against UGA in the SEC) and I think that Sumlin may have a few more headaches with this kid before he tries to make the leap to the NFL.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »

Yes - the partying I can live with. But today he shows his true character. Don't know if anyone else noticed but when he walked off the field his coach was giving him an earful and he just walked on by him like he wasn't even there.

I agree with Gus!!  Yes, at that age we were much better!!  Millions of men, and women, at that age before me and after me served and are serving our Country with distinction and honor.  Football is just a game which at times is very passionate with the players and fans ... BUT you don't have to be an arrogant little punk about it.  That boy has a lot of class - unfortunately it's all lower class!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
I still remember my one of my coaches in jr. high school ball telling me to "act like I've been there before" ... and that stuck with me to pretty much everything I do competitively.  Manziel doesn't actually attend classes (he takes the minimum gen ed requirements online) and has shown himself to be the antithesis of the "scholar athlete".  I root for UT and A&M (as long as they aren't up against UGA in the SEC) and I think that Sumlin may have a few more headaches with this kid before he tries to make the leap to the NFL.

Sorry about the game last nite UW.... :-X..But what an offensive head-spin in the first 1/4 of the game!

I don't think that Manziel has a chance in the NFL. Tebow style play ( run-n-gun ) is not what the NFL is built on.

*BUT* - I expect a Tebow style QB could do well in the CFL. 3 downs and out means more aggressive passing at near to mid distance and a QB that is highly mobile and quick.
But, Manziel's mouth will trip him up long before his talent expires....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Johnny Football
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »

Sorry about the game last nite UW.... :-X..But what an offensive head-spin in the first 1/4 of the game!

I don't think that Manziel has a chance in the NFL. Tebow style play ( run-n-gun ) is not what the NFL is built on.

*BUT* - I expect a Tebow style QB could do well in the CFL. 3 downs and out means more aggressive passing at near to mid distance and a QB that is highly mobile and quick.
But, Manziel's mouth will trip him up long before his talent expires....

I don't follow college football as it doesn't exist in Minnesota, but this guy sounds like a piece of work. Sounds like a parent along the way missed opportunities for a good head slap or two.

My Two goals as a parent.

Not a burden on society

Not an A hole
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »
Sometimes, ........ it has to be the hard way.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline txpops

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
Give me a break. ::) It was a stupid penalty but let's not get carried away here. He didn't throw a punch, spit on a cheerleader, drop kick a baby, steal an old woman's walker, give grandpa a wedgie, or poison a tree. He just pointed at the scoreboard, (Gasp) and did a little smack talk. So I guess the Rice owls are allowed to talk smack the entire game but when Johnny responds to it he gets flagged.  ??? It should have been offsetting penalties or nothing at all. He had turned his back and was walking away but they kept talking. Yes he should've kept walking to the sidelines to celebrate the touchdown and the victory but he didn't. Coach Sumlin dealt with it and probably will have more to say behind closed doors. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will be wondering why we made such a big deal out of this.

As for his NFL prospects it's anybody's guess. He is much better at reading defenses and being patient in the pocket than he was a year ago. He has great arm strength and unlike Tim Tebow he has a great throwing motion, a quick release, and is a very accurate passer. He is also much quicker and is a slippery runner with great vision. That sounds exactly like the type of quarterback a lot of NFL teams are looking for.
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »
Give me a break. ::) It was a stupid penalty but let's not get carried away here. He didn't throw a punch, spit on a cheerleader, drop kick a baby, steal an old woman's walker, give grandpa a wedgie, or poison a tree. He just pointed at the scoreboard, (Gasp) and did a little smack talk. So I guess the Rice owls are allowed to talk smack the entire game but when Johnny responds to it he gets flagged.  ??? It should have been offsetting penalties or nothing at all. He had turned his back and was walking away but they kept talking. Yes he should've kept walking to the sidelines to celebrate the touchdown and the victory but he didn't. Coach Sumlin dealt with it and probably will have more to say behind closed doors. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will be wondering why we made such a big deal out of this.

As for his NFL prospects it's anybody's guess. He is much better at reading defenses and being patient in the pocket than he was a year ago. He has great arm strength and unlike Tim Tebow he has a great throwing motion, a quick release, and is a very accurate passer. He is also much quicker and is a slippery runner with great vision. That sounds exactly like the type of quarterback a lot of NFL teams are looking for.

Easy Pops...easy.... :D I AM an Aggie...AND - I love my school. I LOVE A&M football.

And, more than the LOVE...I RESPECT the school, the game and the sport. But, it is beyond arguable that Johnny Manziel has created for himself a whirlwind of negative press. Warranted? Hell - I don't know - nor does anyone but him.
The problem is obvious to me: The kid has no sense of humility. Talent? All of the talent he needs in college. Attitude? BAD. Too much partying - not enough "positive press opportunities". He needs to settle down QUICKLY. Or he will find himself outside of the opportunities that his talents could create for him. And - I agree that the ONE penalty you refer to seemed silly. But it was the accumulation of behavior during his time in the game that got him benched IMHO.
I want him to play, and I want him to win. But I am tired of him embarrassing me, and the school  ;).

His style of play - like Tebow's is something I personally admire and enjoy watching. But, again - it is without dispute that the NFL offensive play calling does not favor this kind of QB, otherwise - I feel that Tebow would still be with a team. I wish it did tho... Guess that is why I enjoy watching the CFL in the NFL off-season.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline txpops

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 03:42:36 PM »
You are embarrassed over Johnny? That's what I mean about this being blown out of proportion. As with most things, only the negative sensational stuff gets covered. Here are a couple of good things he has done that I bet you won't hear about on sportscenter.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/college/Johnny-Manziel-takes-time-to-support-childhood-cancer-206345441.html

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/7/29/4568156/johnny-manziel-helps-raise-over-80000-for-scholarships-at-texas-a-m

Again, he is nothing like Tim Tebow. On of off the field. :D I would compare him to Russell Wilson in Seattle or Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco, even though Kaepernick is much taller. They play the same style of football as Johnny. And with Philadelphia hiring Chip Kelly as their new head coach tells me that more teams in the NFL are going to try some version of a hurry up offense.  And hopefully Johnny, if the doesn't do something really stupid and/or illegal,  will find the right team that will use his skills effectively.  I know he has done some stupid stuff and I was yelling at my TV yesterday when he got that penalty too. Why give people more ammunition to use against you right? But again it's being blown way out of proportion
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator