Author Topic: Johnny Football  (Read 3400 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Johnny Football
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »
I don't think it is fair to compare how any of us were (or even how college players were back in the day) when we were their age.  Even without the money, they live a pretty easy life and have a pretty easy go at their "education."  I was married at his age and shortly thereafter working 2 jobs and going to college full time where I was actually expected to learn.  I don't begrudge him of the others the partying, but having a little bit of class is not too much to ask of anyone regardless of their age or life circumstances.  My kids will vouch for the lessons they have been taught about courtesy and respect, and if the comments they receive from adult strangers are any indication they have learned them well.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
You are embarrassed over Johnny? That's what I mean about this being blown out of proportion. As with most things, only the negative sensational stuff gets covered. Here are a couple of good things he has done that I bet you won't hear about on sportscenter.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/college/Johnny-Manziel-takes-time-to-support-childhood-cancer-206345441.html

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/7/29/4568156/johnny-manziel-helps-raise-over-80000-for-scholarships-at-texas-a-m

Again, he is nothing like Tim Tebow. On of off the field. :D I would compare him to Russell Wilson in Seattle or Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco, even though Kaepernick is much taller. They play the same style of football as Johnny. And with Philadelphia hiring Chip Kelly as their new head coach tells me that more teams in the NFL are going to try some version of a hurry up offense.  And hopefully Johnny, if the doesn't do something really stupid and/or illegal,  will find the right team that will use his skills effectively.  I know he has done some stupid stuff and I was yelling at my TV yesterday when he got that penalty too. Why give people more ammunition to use against you right? But again it's being blown way out of proportion

I agree that it is out of proportion. But it is still so ill advised that you would think this kid would listen to advice to SHUT UP, keep his head down and just PLAY BALL!!!!
We all know that when you give the press 1 inch, they ail fabricate a mile...The whole crap with the "alleged" autograph sales...bore NO evidence. The acuusers were little more than crack dealers. I get it...
But - when you are center stage, and young - geez Louise son - just shut up and play ball! We ( A&M) have a history of being perennial underdogs. Use THAT as your incentive to WIN....Not under age drinking at parties. Not getting thrown out of frat parties on the UT campus!!!!! ( love the love of Pete...the ENEMY???REALLY Johnny???)
I am still embarrassed by him Pops - because WE have a right to expect a leader, a Heiseman winner, and - an Aggie to be BETTER THAN THAT...... >:(

It has been too #$%^&* long since John David Crow. And I did not want Johnny M. to treat this like a personal party. Has some pride. Have some dignity. have some CLASS.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »
@ Tee ... Clemson just was on their game.  As much as I like Mark Richt and his methods it just seems Georgia can't get over the hump.  Of course, I use the same rationalization about every Cowboys coach Satan has hired since Jimmy Johnson ...
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »
Tim
if he was Corp it would be different

If he was Corp - they would have him trottin' double time with a 40 lb pack for a WEEK!!! :D

@ Tee ... Clemson just was on their game.  As much as I like Mark Richt and his methods it just seems Georgia can't get over the hump.  Of course, I use the same rationalization about every Cowboys coach Satan has hired since Jimmy Johnson ...

I must admit..when Satan bought the team - and did Tom Landry ( God rest him well...) like dirt...I can't bring myself to be a fan again. I just can't......
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Johnny Football
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »
Landry and our own Bud Grant......CLASS!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline txpops

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »

I agree that it is out of proportion. But it is still so ill advised that you would think this kid would listen to advice to SHUT UP, keep his head down and just PLAY BALL!!!!

Agreed. You could see the frustration on Coach Sumlin's face yesterday immediately after the game.

We all know that when you give the press 1 inch, they ail fabricate a mile...The whole crap with the "alleged" autograph sales...bore NO evidence. The acuusers were little more than crack dealers. I get it...

I'm still waiting to hear when the investigation into  Jadeveon Clowney and A. J. McCarron's autograph sessions will start. If Johnny violated the "spirit of the rule" then so did they.

I am still embarrassed by him Pops - because WE have a right to expect a leader, a Heiseman winner, and - an Aggie to be BETTER THAN THAT...... >:(

You know that's what the teasips in Austin love to hear. Do you ever wonder who all these 'anonymous sources' in the autograph-gate scandal really were, (Insert crazy conspiracy theory here).

It has been too #$%^&* long since John David Crow. And I did not want Johnny M. to treat this like a personal party. Has some pride. Have some dignity. have some CLASS.

Agreed. He could learn a lot from John David Crow.
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »
Landry and our own Bud Grant......CLASS!
I've been a Packers fan since I was a kid (sorry, Pappy - I grew up in ND.) But, I was always a Landry fan - there are some iconic figures in sports. To me Landry was one. I may not have cheered for the "Boys" - but I always cheered for Landry. Bud Grant, too. It is a bit disappointing that we can name these types of icons on a couple hands and feet when there are so many that "play the game."
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
And..We can't leave Lombardi out of that group of coaches that epitomized "class".

If you get a chance to see the ESPN documentary about Lombardi - it tells about the common history/bond/respect - and real friendship between Lombardi and Landry. Moving, really moving....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
You are right - didn't want to go over the top with Packer love - but I agree. The documentary was excellent. Both Landry and Lombardi remind me of my dad - and I really appreciate that.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
Bud Grant reminds me of my MIL. I've told her that and she is good with it... kind of proud, actually...  ??? ;D
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »
Bud Grant reminds me of my MIL. I've told her that and she is good with it... kind of proud, actually...  ??? ;D

Well...BUd always have a nice close shave...... :o ??? 8) ;D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »

Well...BUd always have a nice close shave...... :o ??? 8) ;D :D

Be afraid.. be very afraid...  ??? ??? ??? ;D
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
As for classy coaches, Chuck Noll will always be at the top of my list.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
Lighten up and stop all the whining!

Oops, sorry.  It was just pointed out to me that this is important stuff and makes a difference in US foreign and domestic policy and the outcome of life across the universe (not to mention whirled peas).  How silly of me to think it was only about a relatively unimportant game.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
As usual,  the Turtle is right.  We are talking about only college football.  It ain't life and death----IT'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT!!!   Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers