Author Topic: The Labor Day weekend cooking has started  (Read 1019 times)

Offline pz

The Labor Day weekend cooking has started
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:59 PM »
Today I need to co the yard (mow and weed-whack) and completely clean out the garage, but before doing so I started black beans, chiles, and pork butt in the pressure cooker in preparation for entertaining tomorrow.

These are the chiles I'm planning

Two of each...

I'm going to use about 1/4 of these two butts

The pork is nestled among the dried black beans

Pressure cooker is loaded and ready to go

Set the machine on high for 75 minutes.  On an aside, this is a Costco unit that we purchased for $69 and has served us well for several years.  You can put your food in before work in the morning and after the pressure cooking is done, it keeps the food hot until you return.

Here's the finished pot - the peppers are fall-apart as is the pork.  The black beans are melt in your mouth tender.  I'll let this pot rest until the morning.

Later in the day after the chores were done, it was time to assemble the SRG - my sweetie is relaxing with her iPad

Gotta eat though... grilled pizza is just the ticket!

My new baby in her new home - season the unit in the morning, and then the rest of the pork butt goes in for the inaugural fire

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: The Labor Day weekend cooking has started
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
congrats on the new cooker partner.  butt in a srg should season it up right nice.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »
pz thought about ordering a pressure cooker from Amazon but the government now gives you the hairy eyeball when you do ???

That pork should be real good and enjoy your new SRG!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:17:28 AM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »
OMG that's going to be great
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »
Dang, pz! I can't decide between the pork & peppers, the pizza or just hanging out and watching you cook. What a great day - good for you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »
Looks like the starts of a great spread.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline txpops

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
Years ago we bought a bottle of sauce made for slow cooker pulled pork. It was the best pulled pork we ever had. Been looking for that sauce ever since. Can't remember what it was called or who made it.

I have an SRG. I'm sure you'll love it.

Mike
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
Years ago we bought a bottle of sauce made for slow cooker pulled pork. It was the best pulled pork we ever had. Been looking for that sauce ever since. Can't remember what it was called or who made it.

Mike

Please don't tell me it was called TendaRub ???
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

The Labor Day weekend cooking has started
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »
Sous vide was so yesterday......Pressure Cooker is really happening ???

Never used one before. Aren't we all required to register our pressure cookers with the man?

Crap.....bet I get audited this year ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »
Sous vide was so yesterday......Pressure Cooker is really happening ???

Never used one before. Aren't we all required to register our pressure cookers with the man?

Crap.....bet I get audited this year ;D
Don't tell anyone - I have one from many years ago. I'll let you borrow it if you don't let the gov't know....
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »

Mike

Please don't tell me it was called TendaRub ???
Why oh why do I now hear the "Jaws theme music" in my ears at the mere mention of Tenda-Rub?  AAAAAhhhhhhh   ??? ??? ???

Offline pz

Re: The Labor Day weekend cooking has ended - picture heavy!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »
lol, I just love the interaction on this forum  ;D
Sunday morning is the big day for us; planning to smoke pork butt in the new SRG, fill the Bradley with cheeses, start the pizza oven, and use both fresh ingredients plus the pressure cooked pork/black beans/chiles from the day before - and oh yes, have two couples over for the festivities

Well, we started out Sunday morning at about 9am seasoning the new SRG, and then loading it with a pork butt - it was rubbed with smoked paprika, cumin, thyme, salt, and pepper - my intent is to let it go until IT of 190-195F

While the pork butt was going, I needed to cut the firewood of the day - tamarack this time, seasoned for several years.

I use one of the plastic outdoor storage containers for all of my wood and smoking needs (pellets, splitting maul, blowtorch, charcoal, etc.) - really handy and keeps the patio clean for the missus

SRG is smoking merrily away, and the Bradley is on one of the side counters of the grill unit - cheeses are smoking with pecan pucks - did 2 hours this time

Now back into the kitchen to prepare the pressure cooked pork, black beans, and chiles - here's the pork butt pulled with most of the solid fat removed - butter tender and moist - I had problems keeping the missus from high-grading the meat (which she did despite my best efforts)  ;D

Used a colander to separate the black beans from the juice - pulled out the chiles and had them in the pot to the right.  The liquid from the pressure cooker was returned to the chiles.  Black beans were placed in a container, and the pork was chopped for pizzas later in the day

A stick blender made quick work of the chile sauce

This is the consistency of the pork when chopped - relatively fine, but I plan to use it on the pizzas

Now segue to the cheeses that are loaded into the Bradley

Now back to the chile preparation - after adding Kosher salt and black pepper to taste, it was placed in this cool container - we'll use this "sauce" to paint pizza crusts, and guests will use the sauce as a condiment to taste on their pizza.

My wife absolutely loved this sauce - her first comment (OMG, it smells just like chili!)  Any time you can get the wife to really like something is worth another smoking gadget  ;D  More on the sauce for the next day

Time to start the pizza oven - blow torch is the easiest method, and the fire was started in less than 2 minutes

Everything is now ready - the pizza oven is fired, and will gradually heat it for the next few hours until it is fully ready, the SRG is looking pork butt, and the Bradley (all four racks) is loaded with cheese.  My sweetheart is ready for a snack.

We're finally ready for guests - football is in the TV, wine is in the chiller, and beer in the fridge

Pork butt is done!  Took it to 190F, but I goofed it up though, parts were way too dry, and I should have foil wrapped.  However, it is butter tender in the parts that were not overcooked

The cheese just above the smoke generator heated a bit too much, but it was hot outside - greater than 90F.  However, most of the pieces turned our great, and I can't wait to taste.  Guests were intrigued with the process - and although this batch is not ready for tasting, they did sample cheeses we'd smoked about a month ago - they loved it, especially the Gouda

The fire in the oven was just mesmerizing - as always

My sweetheart loves to pop the cork on Champagne - we did pomegranate mimosas with frozen blueberries to keep everything cold

Here's one of the pizzas - this one started with a crust painted with the chile sauce, then topped with smoked pepper jack, black beans, and finally the chopped pork

Here I'm chopping the pizza into bite sized morsels that everyone can sample

Another pizza consisted of cheese, heirloom tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives, and capers - this was many people's favorite

Here's the gang - it doesn't get better when it comes to entertaining friends

I'm showing this one because it shows the pizza well - it is half heirloom tomato, and half pork/black bean/chile sauce

One of our friends is a Hope's cookies representative, and she brought these cookies that we baked in tiny cast iron pans in the pizza oven - they were unbelievably good.

Finally, here's my mound of cheese that is going into the fridge for as long as I can stand it

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »
What a great week end you all had. All the food looked exceptionally good!!! I sure like all your cook equipment and cooking area and also the dining area and the view. It's almost like my outdoor dream kitchen! I noted your pizza oven is getting some seasoning and looking good! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:26:46 AM »
Thanks Don!  We had an exceptional day where all the stars seems to be aligned properly - even the weather cooperated!  :)