Author Topic: Turkey Brining Question  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Hub

Re: Turkey Brining Question
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »
The only thing I can add is that if you use the bag method in the cooler make sure to leave room for beer. 8)

That's why there's no room in the refrigerator -- I have very well thought out priorities  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
Lot's of great ideas here. Very timely as we are doing Thanksgiving this year (40+ family members from my wife's side  ???) Thank you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 07:04:30 PM »
Put the bird & brine in a 2 & 1/2 gallon zip lock & put bag into the cooler

This is how I do my brine and turkey.  The brine is usually brought to a boil first.  I then sit the brine and cooking pot in the cooler with ice until the liquid is cold.  Put the turkey in the bag and add the brine to cover well, squeeze all the air out and close-seal the bag.  It's then into the cooler, cover with ice, and you are good for over 24 hrs. if desired.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
LA's way is simple with no clean up, but I just put the bird in a cooler, cover with the brine add ice cubes, and then it is ready the next day. By then most of the ice is melted, but then into the BE it goes.

My brine is also easy. One cup sea salt, one cup brown sugar, boil in water. Simple.

I don't mind washing out the cooler. Not a big deal. Soap, hot water, and pour it out. Takes 60 seconds.