Author Topic: Flavor  (Read 3269 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Flavor
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 08:25:10 AM »
What to do? What to do?

The Jaccard device sounds like a great idea. Smoke and Jack use them. You guys ever been sick?

This is a real quandry. Right but wrong.

Ed

Nope
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »
I think the problem with the bacteria more had to do with the mechanized brining machines that are like a Jaccard and inject a solution into the meat. Traveling along a belt the meat is exposed to liquids and possible contamination. A factory not following proper procedures is the main danger.

And if I recall the article there was a very small incidence of illness. It is much more common with ground meat.

Proper cleaning and handling is what's important.

So get one Ed ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
I think the problem with the bacteria more had to do with the mechanized brining machines that are like a Jaccard and inject a solution into the meat. Traveling along a belt the meat is exposed to liquids and possible contamination. A factory not following proper procedures is the main danger.

And if I recall the article there was a very small incidence of illness. It is much more common with ground meat.

So get one Ed ;)

Actually, I just ordered one from Amazon. I guess I look at things like this from a different perspective than most. I figure that if I can last 23 years in the Marine Corps and was blown up, shot, and stabbed, that I probably am going to be hit by a car crossing the street (if I could walk) and die. I know that this is very cynical, but I wonder how my Mom survived for 88 years and how I made it to 70 with all of the visible and invisible ills that are in front of me. Every week, you will find something in the news that's bad for you. After a while, it looks like the odds are stacked against you. Eggs and cholesterol. I love eggs, take cholesterol pills to drop it to 163, and I am still going to have eggs. Eggs over easy, eggs bennedict, eggs scrambled, poached, and boiled. I guess that you can take this as far as you like.

I do not think that using a Jaccard meat tenderizer presents any additional risk than anything else in life. I think that you are more at risk trying to cross the street in San Antonio.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion. So am I.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

So get one Ed ;)

Actually, I just ordered one from Amazon. I guess I look at things like this from a different perspective than most. I figure that if I can last 23 years in the Marine Corps and was blown up, shot, and stabbed, that I probably am going to be hit by a car crossing the street (if I could walk) and die. I know that this is very cynical, but I wonder how my Mom survived for 88 years and how I made it to 70 with all of the visible and invisible ills that are in front of me. Every week, you will find something in the news that's bad for you. After a while, it looks like the odds are stacked against you. Eggs and cholesterol. I love eggs, take cholesterol pills to drop it to 163, and I am still going to have eggs. Eggs over easy, eggs bennedict, eggs scrambled, poached, and boiled. I guess that you can take this as far as you like.

I do not think that using a Jaccard meat tenderizer presents any additional risk than anything else in life. I think that you are more at risk trying to cross the street in San Antonio.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion. So am I.

Ed

Well said, Ed!

I follow good cleaning and sanitation standards, but am not obsessive. It seems to work.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
Didn't mean to sound alarmist - just wanted to point out another side of the issue.  I don't own a Jaccard or similar tenderizer but grew up piercing tough cuts with a fork to achieve the same outcome.  Still do it occasionally and have never noted any ill effects.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
Didn't mean to sound alarmist - just wanted to point out another side of the issue.  I don't own a Jaccard or similar tenderizer but grew up piercing tough cuts with a fork to achieve the same outcome.  Still do it occasionally and have never noted any ill effects.

Let me say this about that.

Then why do you scare everybody and come across as a chickensheite. If you have served in the military and put your life on the line directly in harms way, then everything after that is inconsequential. I don't get it. Obviously, common sense prevails.

At age 64, I jumped out of a perfectly good air plane over White Sands New Mexico with a group of guys led by the Army Knights to celebrate the 101st and 82nd Airborne units that jumped on the night of June 6th, 1944. Among us was an 86 year old gentleman from the 101st who made that original jump. He dragged his tandem jumper out the rear door of a C-130 with a big smile on his face. Do you really think he gave a dammmmmmmm as to whether he died or not?

Amen, brother. Semper Fi.

Ed

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about or why but I was never a rough, tough Marine so wouldn't expect to understand even if I did. You boys are just so precious!

I've been bad.  Scold me, tee.  Scold me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:07:01 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
This isn't about being tough, this is all about attitude. If you going to let the negative about something stop you in your tracks, you're never going to look forward.

Scold me too.