Author Topic: Source of Good Fresh Meat!  (Read 631 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Source of Good Fresh Meat!
« Reply #-1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »

You can get some nice fresh Elk meat over by the trees in the left and further back towards foothills of those mountains. All you need are good legs; have the wind in your favor, and stay in the shade. If not, you have had a great walk in some beautiful country and fresh air. Priceless.

Choice of firearms: Ruger 480 Super Red Hawk with 7.5 inch barrel with hard cast 340 grain Buffalo Bore bullets.

If you prefer a rifle: I would suggest either the Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine 308 Winchester or the Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter Stainless Steel 30-06.

Have you ever had elk steaks, elk burger, elk sausage or elk ribs? Elk and pork sausage mixed together is absolutely delicious and great with eggs.

For your information, that is the Santa Fe National Forest near the Maxwell Wildlife Refuge. And, by the way, there IS a boat load of elk in that area.

Ed
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:05:10 AM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Source of Good Fresh Meat!
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
Beautiful view.  I can just imagine me driving home with a dead elk on the roof of my coupe.  :P
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »
Have they figured out what has been killing all the Elk in NM and north Ed?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
My very limited understanding of the situation from speaking with my "old" friends is that it is a unique type of virus. They have not found any large herds again like they did initially.

That fellow in the picture is an "old" high school classmate of mine. He had limited success with that bow and always carried a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnun as a backup. He and I went "finding" together for 10 years in a row until my legs gave way. He is waiting until we can go together again.

Just down further from where he is walking there is barbed wire identifying the national forest and private property. However, the elk over there do not have very good reading skills and they cross that line at will as it is their land first. There are some nice streams that run through the property up there and the elk like to bed down in that grass. When the weather gets really cold, then they come down to the lower grounds where there is more open grass and fields and sometimes someone provides a few hundred bails of hay for their dining pleasure. Mule deer also visit at their pleasure. Well, some people put out corn to attract little deer.

What you do not see is the most important item of all: a flask filled with Crown Royal for the moment of celebration and the horses that we came up the hill on.

Ed
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:06:10 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Great picture, Ed. Looks like a win either way!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
What you do not see is the most important item of all: a flask filled with Crown Royal for the moment of celebration and the horses that we came up the hill on.

Ed

Sounds almost like the ending of a John Wayne movie.  Great pic, Ed

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
Yes very nice pic and story Ed! I hope in the very near future that you and your friend continue your successful "findings" together.

Gene