Author Topic: Uuni wood fired pizza oven  (Read 103682 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Re: Uuni wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
Mike

What kind of pellets are you using and do they impart the favor of the wood into the pizza? Also have you tried pizza pans for your pizza instead of going direct to the oven surface?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »
Mike

What kind of pellets are you using and do they impart the favor of the wood into the pizza? Also have you tried pizza pans for your pizza instead of going direct to the oven surface?

I am using Perfect Mix from Cookin Pellets. You can taste the smoke flavor in the pizza. The flame does not have the volume of air from the fan like a pellet grill so you don't get such a clean burn and no smoke flavor at that high heat.

Never thought of trying a pan pizza. It gets to 800F or more so I think the top of the pizza would be burned by the time the crust finished in the pan. A typical pizza finishes in 3 to 4 minutes for me. It also gives the pizza a nice char that tastes really good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
Thanks
Mine should be here on the 11th if the tracking is correct  :)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »
So I did my first modification to the Uuni pizza oven. Oh you guys knew this was coming ;)

I got a AC to DC wall plug transformer that is rated at 12VDC and 100ma. The 12VDC computer fan that comes with the oven is rated at 130ma so this is just under it's rating.

The air flow and fan speed is almost identical to when hooked up to the battery pack. The battery pack uses 8 AA batteries at 1.5volts each totaling 12VDC.

Going to try and do a test run tonight. If everything is good then some 9volt connectors will be picked up at Radio Shack and hard wired in so that I can switch from the transformer to the battery pack when needed.

Why should I waste batteries when I have a power plug out back?

Might be a good idea for an accessory that they should carry.

I know the batteries last for 8 hours but they will slow down the fan as the batteries lose voltage and batteries are not cheap anymore. So with the transformer I will get consistent and indefinite fan speed & run time.

Pam if it works fine I can rig one up for you and send it your way if your interested. I will only charge you parts and shipping.

what about using a 12 volt gell cell battery like they use on the spinner on deer feeders
and you use the small 12 volt chargers to re-charge the gell cell

I use 6 volt gell cells to run my strobe on my wedding camera

I suppose you could Jack. The 8 AA batteries are supposed to last 8 hours. You could also just use 8 rechargable AA batteries too.

I just like having the AC power option when there is a plug available to save on batteries.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »
This pizza oven keeps playing in my dreams....DANG YOU muebe!!! :D :D :D It really looks like a fun and easy to use  little gadget.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
This pizza oven keeps playing in my dreams....DANG YOU muebe!!! :D :D :D It really looks like a fun and easy to use  little gadget.

I blame pz! He is the one that posted about it first!

But thanks to him I have one and I am very happy. That is why I love this forum. I may have never seen this oven otherwise 8)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline pz

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:34 PM »
lol, I can't claim any credit - just encountered that interesting little oven somewhere else on the 'net, but muebe is correct; there are so many things I discover on the forum that I never would have otherwise.  We seem to be a clearinghouse for the best (and worst) on the  internet so we can all make informed decisions.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
Just to let people know from Canada if you are ordering one of these get ready for a very big Duty and Brokerage fee. When mine arrived on Friday I was very surprised at the added fee. $108.00 dollars worth on top of the shipping charge. 

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »
Just to let people know from Canada if you are ordering one of these get ready for a very big Duty and Brokerage fee. When mine arrived on Friday I was very surprised at the added fee. $108.00 dollars worth on top of the shipping charge.

Oh man sorry to hear that :'(
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2013, 02:01:35 AM »

Well Mike it was my own dumb butt fault. Should have thought about that happening. I could have had it delivered to a border store just 40 minutes from me and that fee would have been taken care of. OH well I am just going to have to stand on the corner and sell lots of pizza.  ::)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2013, 08:46:15 AM »

Well Mike it was my own dumb butt fault. Should have thought about that happening. I could have had it delivered to a border store just 40 minutes from me and that fee would have been taken care of. OH well I am just going to have to stand on the corner and sell lots of pizza.  ::)

Well the oven is worth it even at that price ;)

Make sure to take pictures of your first pizza sale 8)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2013, 09:11:06 AM »
Well I am always the last one to the party. Seems from reading this you can clear your own packages when duty and brokerage fees are appied.  ::) 
Good info for the next time or for anyone in Canada feeling the UPS pinch.

http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
Well I am always the last one to the party. Seems from reading this you can clear your own packages when duty and brokerage fees are appied.  ::) 
Good info for the next time or for anyone in Canada feeling the UPS pinch.

http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/
Thanks for the info.. I'm going to order one soon.
Where in Canada are you?
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
Just outside of Thunder Bay, which meant I could have had it delivered to Ryden's Border Store located 1/2 mile from the US/Canadian border in Grand Portage, Minnesota. It would have been a 40 min or so drive and saved me those charges all together.  ::) but I never even thought of it.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »
Well here is another mod I just did with the Uuni...

It is a DCV fan speed controller that I got off of Amazon for $7.50

Now I can adjust the speed infinently from low to high.

Should give me some better temp control than just using the metal slide for air control ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC