Author Topic: Burnt Ends  (Read 4418 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Burnt Ends
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
If they would just sell the points separately, I would never even deal with the flats ever again...

I have often wondered what happened to the points that were cut from the trimmed brisket flats I see being sold. My guess is they're ground up for hamburger meat.

You can buy points separately....Unfortunately I only ever see them come as corned beef ???
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
Think I saw some at Safeway the other day.  Points and flat separated.  Not corned. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
Is it too strong to call burnt ends a "waste of perfectly glorious sliced fatty brisket point?"  ???  OK, I'll get off of my soapbox.  They do look good, BTW.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »
Is it too strong to call burnt ends a "waste of perfectly glorious sliced fatty brisket point?

I like the smaller chunks because it renders out more liquid fat, and leaves crispy fat - my wife won't let me eat the point much unless it is in the "burnt ends" form  ;D

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
Is it too strong to call burnt ends a "waste of perfectly glorious sliced fatty brisket point?"  ???  OK, I'll get off of my soapbox.  They do look good, BTW.

A waste?  ??? No way! Don;t get me wrong, I love the point for pulled beef too, but what burnt ends do is take that perfectly glorious fatty brisket to the next level!  8)

Now... Careful getting back up on that soapbox... I think I dripped some of the brisket fat on it and I'd hate to see you slip and land on your head!  ;D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »
Any info on how to make this would be appreciated...

Once you've smoked a brisket, remove the point (or start with a smoked point), cube it up, add more rub, resmoke, put in a pan and mix in some BBQ sauce, then smoke/cook till done (caramelized sauce is a good indicator). Some folks don't resmoke before adding sauce but I think it makes for a better product.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »

A waste?  ??? No way! Don;t get me wrong, I love the point for pulled beef too, but what burnt ends do is take that perfectly glorious fatty brisket to the next level!  8)

Now... Careful getting back up on that soapbox... I think I dripped some of the brisket fat on it and I'd hate to see you slip and land on your head!  ;D

[carefully returning to my soapbox]  I am not talking about pulled beef.  I am talking about think slices of fatty, barky, salty, peppery deliciousness that is the  point.  Damn!  Now I am hungry.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
Smoked brisket point presents several (equally excellent) options.  At my house, some days are slice & serve days, some are burnt ends days, and some are save it for awesome chili days ("awesome" is the one without beans or tomatoes).

When you have decisions like this to make and all of them are the correct one, life is good. Possibly slightly complicated, but very very good.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »
Smoked brisket point presents several (equally excellent) options.  At my house, some days are slice & serve days, some are burnt ends days, and some are save it for awesome chili days ("awesome" is the one without beans or tomatoes).

When you have decisions like this to make and all of them are the correct one, life is good. Possibly slightly complicated, but very very good.

A wise turtle you are...

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
I am talking about think slices of fatty, barky, salty, peppery deliciousness that is the  point.

OK, now if you're gonna talk like that...  then let me help you back up onto your soap box!  :P :P :P
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline pz

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
 ;D I'll Eat to that!

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »

Once you've smoked a brisket, remove the point (or start with a smoked point), cube it up, add more rub, resmoke, put in a pan and mix in some BBQ sauce, then smoke/cook till done (caramelized sauce is a good indicator). Some folks don't resmoke before adding sauce but I think it makes for a better product.

Thanks for the info....
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

Thanks for the info....

How long do you resmoke for?  Butt and packer going on tomorrow
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Nick7290

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

Thanks for the info....

How long do you resmoke for?  Butt and packer going on tomorrow

I would resmoke it for at least a couple more hours, but it really depends on how much fat still needs to be rendered out IMO.  You can tell by looking at the cubes if there is still a fair amount of fat left.  This last time I wish I had waited to add the sauce until a couple hours into the resmoke so I could take some of the fat out of the pan before adding the sauce.  I was surprised at how much more cooked out.  Hope that helps :)

KCBS CBJ & CTC
XL BGE
FEC100
GMG JB
Weber E310

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »
As Nick says, they're kinda done when they're done.  You want the finished product to be nicely rendered out and caramelized but still moist and tender - not burned to ashes. This batch was resmoked without added heat and then sauced and finished.  Others have needed a hot smoke before saucing.

If it was more exact than that, I'd get the same results every time.  As long as you don't dry them out too much, they're always somewhere between very good and heavenly.