Author Topic: Hello from Stockton, CA  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Jake

Hello from Stockton, CA
« Reply #-1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
I found this forum while shopping for a new smoker/cooker. I have used nothing but Weber Kettles all my life. I've owned two over the last thirty years. Frankly I've found that I can cook anything from steaks to ribs to turkeys on my kettles. Lately though, after attending a few BBQ cook-offs I've been getting the itch for trying something new. My choices have been narrowed to three options. The safe route, a WSM. The adventure route, build a UDS with the BPS kit (because I need another unfinished project in my garage). I have also been researching the Pit Barrel Cooker.
What do you all think?

-Jake
Weber 22.5 OTG
Vermont Castings gasser
ECB
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Hello from Stockton, CA
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota!

You will find some very dedicated Weber kettle folks on this forum (me included) who can help you take your Weber experience to new levels (me not so included...  ;) :D ) You'll also find a bunch of folks using a variety of cookers to give you some advice and help whichever way you go.

I have a PBC and love it. It is fantastic for chicken, pulled pork, and ribs. Last night I did a ham on it that came out just the way I imagined it. This is a cooker that is tough to beat, plus the folks at PBC Co. are the best you could ever deal with. They encourage calls and questions and will do whatever they can to help you have a perfect experience with their product. I was considering building a UDS and went this way instead - so glad I did!

Jump in, ask questions and share your experiences - this is the best cooking forum on the interweb...  ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »
Greetings from North Texas.  You will find lots of opinion s on your choice of cookers.  To some degree it depends on what you want out of it and what your cooking preference is.  Given your three options, it sounds like you want something that you can dial in and "ignore" it for a while (in other words, not a stick burner.  All three of your options have that covered with minor variations.  I think the WSM is the most versatile of the choices in that you can do different arrangements of the water bowl (or removal of) and different fill methods all resulting in different cooking temps and methods.  It also has different 3rd part options available for it and is a Weber of course.  The PBC is probably the most "set it and forget it" of the bunch.  The UDS is the cheapest route if you are mechanically inclined, and can be customized to your liking.  You can't really go wrong with any of the options.  Did I menion that you could always get a stick burner?  :P
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
First WELCOME!

And - second... ;D THere are no wrong answers to your question about "which of the 3 would be best"....

But, I own a Weber kettle, have had various UDS's in the past and also own a Pit Barrel Cooker. It is like an automatic power cooker. When my wife wants chicken - there is no prion. I am not allowed to cook it on any of my other cookers ( And - I have 8 different ones...) :D

The simple magic of how evenly it cooks - top to bottom - of a hanging chicken is amazing. Never had anything else work this simply, and satisfying.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
dude, welcome from northern cali.   8)  hangtown is in between both casa's.  were close.  your only hour away.  I love my webers.  yes you can cook anything on a kettle.  I have a problem myself.  I love my kettles and WSM's.  their just fun to cook on but if your thinking of trying something different?  what about a pellet grill?   a lot of fun they are.  I love my mak.  ribs off a pellet grill are to die for.  i'm thinking about getting a kamado or maybe a meadow creek pr36 or maybe a yoder ys-480 for the cabin.  xmas is coming and i'm working and have been a very good boy.  I know how to say "yes dear".   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
Welcome from Southern California

I too own a PBC and love it. Load the coals in the basket. Fire it up. 20 minutes later hang your meat on the hooks or use the rack for what you cannot hang. Then get the same temps and results each and every time you use it.

Good luck on your decision ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »
Welcome from Southwest Texas!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
Welcome from North Carolina.  I have a Weber kettle, a PBC and a MAK 2 Star.  Each has it's place.  I view the PBC as a smaller option to a UDS.  This thing is a chicken cooking machine!  You can't go wrong with a PBC.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
Welcome from Washington State, The PBC would be my choice.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
Welcome from Southeast Georgia! Choices, choices, choices! I also own a Weber Performer,
a 18.5 WSM, Smokey Joe and sold 2 other Weber Kettles when I bought my 2 pellet grills. I agree
with Sparky that ribs coming off the pellet cooker are fantastic! Of those 3 choices you made my choice
would have to be the WSM. Once dialed in to your temp you can also basically set it and forget it.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
Welcome from Idaho!  ;)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
Smoke & Sparky are grillaholics , they have gone through more cookers than anyone I know ::)
They always come back to the weber , a WSM is a GREAT cooker!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »
Welcome from Southern California. Pit Barrel Cooker is one of our beloved sponsors here and they make one heck of a cooker. You can't go wrong with a WSM either........hmmmm........what to do.........PBC?.........WSM?    You better get both  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
Welcome from Manitoba, Canada
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

PoppyBill

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »
Welcome from NC! I have no first hand experience with any of your 3 choices, but I've read many good things about all of them here. Good luck with your choice.